Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free target scoring site

+8
Allen Barnett
Cheapshot
willnewton
mspingeld
Slartybartfast
dronning
kjanracing
donpr
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Free target scoring site Empty Free target scoring site

Post by donpr 1/15/2018, 9:12 pm

Hello all,

A new member here, and relatively new bullseye target shooter. I don't want to post incorrectly, so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

As I said, I'm a fairly new shooter. Not new to addition, but I added a couple or targets incorrectly, and that's embarrassing, so I created software to do it for me. If anyone is interested in that sort of thing, feel free to have a look at http://targettally.com. It should work on all your smartphones and tablets. Nothing to download. Completely free.

regards,

Don in TO

donpr

Back to top Go down

Free target scoring site Empty Re: Free target scoring site

Post by kjanracing 1/15/2018, 9:15 pm

That is really cool!
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/15/2018, 9:57 pm

Nice but could you make it so when you press the X it scores a 10 and keeps track of your X(s).
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by donpr 1/15/2018, 10:29 pm

dronning wrote:Nice but could you make it so when you press the X it scores a 10 and keeps track of your X(s).
- Dave

I could do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Don

donpr

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 1/16/2018, 7:17 am

Nice idea.
X's aren't scoring or adding to shot count though.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 1/16/2018, 7:41 am

Also, there are no 1s, 2s or 3s in bullseye and 4s are only on the 50' target. You might want to format the total as 84-3(X) as that's how it's usually written on a score sheet. Perhaps some kind of blinking warning if the scorer tries to enter more than 10 shots? How about a minus sign to cancel a shot entered in error e.g. I enter 4 tens but realize there was only 3, I could hit 'minus' & 10 to reduce the ten count.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 1/16/2018, 9:18 am

mspingeld wrote:Also, there are no 1s, 2s or 3s in bullseye and 4s are only on the 50' target.
I'm happy to say most of my shots are now all in the black. But as I'm shooting with a 20yd scaled ISSF target that includes all the way down to 1.
USAS ISSF Kruger targets go all the way to one as well.
Any app should be able to score to a target that can count all shots. as this is is a useful and simple webpage, don't reduce usability to a wider audience.
Perhaps a more full-featured app could add target configuration settings.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/16/2018, 10:18 am

Thirds on the X incrementing by 10. Just makes it easier.

I do see it spits a score with x count, so that is nice.

A nice tweak would be to have it spit out a cell-formatted score like a score sheet.

Also, it should make me a cup of coffee. Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheapshot 1/16/2018, 10:40 am

Thank you for sharing this..

Cheapshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 1/16/2018, 1:02 pm

Bullseye shooters really do have a warpped sense of humor.  I think that is one of the reasons I love the sport.  LOL

PS I look forward to the improved version coming to your cell in the near future.

Side Bar:  What about the "rule about cell phones" down range?  I seem to remember something along those lines never bothered me as I am old school and use my scorebook.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 1/16/2018, 1:14 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:Side Bar:  What about the "rule about cell phones" down range?  I seem to remember something along those lines never bothered me as I am old school and use my scorebook.

"3.22 Cell  Phones  and other shooting  aids:  S h o o t e r s  a r e           responsible to  ensure  all devices in  their possession  forward of the ready line  are silenced  and communication disabled  (e.g.:  mute all sound producing devices and airplane  mode  for cell  phones)."
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by donpr 1/16/2018, 4:13 pm

I think I'll do the coffee part first, since I could use that myself. Next, I'll make the X count as a 10, since we have three votes. I hesitated on that thinking some other targets might not work that way, but, the mob rules.

I've toyed with having it save a shooter's previous targets. Does that seem interesting to anyone? I couldn't decide if it was worth the work.

Don

donpr

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 1/16/2018, 6:45 pm

Great effort so far Don.
If I had the skills I would want to have programmed a simple scorebook and have running and monthly averages.
Previous target club had a sad application on a laptop that did monthly averages and member standings.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 1/16/2018, 8:06 pm

Yea. This is great so far. Will make. My life easier for sure..good job
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/16/2018, 9:59 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:If I had the skills I would want to have programmed a simple scorebook and have running and monthly averages.
Previous target club had a sad application on a laptop that did monthly averages and member standings.
I put this together a few years ago and have updated it several times.  I take a picture of my score cards and enter the data when I get home.  I take notes at the match on my cell phone and also enter that info.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by donpr 1/22/2018, 1:36 pm

Hi again everyone,

I'm glad that some people are finding this useful.

I wanted to respond to a question I've gotten a few times offline: "Can I make a mobile version for those people without data access at their shooting club/location."

Yes, I can, and may, but I don't have one in the works currently. However, you should be able to use the app at your remote site simply by loading it into your browser before you go. All work is done in your browser, except the initial load. So, if you go to the site and keep it in your browser, you should be able to use it later, when onsite. If anyone runs into difficulty with that, I'd be happy to hear about it, and would try to correct it.

Happy shooting all,

Don

donpr

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/27/2018, 8:43 pm

Don, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I tried it up above a few minutes ago, and if I add up 11 hypothetical shots, the score just gets higher.  As far as I know, targets are for a maximum of 10 shots, and if someone were to fire 11, their "best" shot would be deleted, and so on if they fired even more than that.

Unless someone corrects me, maybe you can add that capability?  That way all shots can be counted, even if it was 11 or 12, and the "score" would match what is calculated now by hand.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/27/2018, 8:52 pm

Also, at the top of the screen, where "Notes" can be typed, if you added a few more lines, that would be handy:

• Name
  • Date
  • Time
  • Gun
  • Target Number
  • Notes

Date and Time and Name could be filled automatically, with the shooter being able to edit them.  Target number would be for people who take their targets home with them.

When the file is , where does it get saved?  When the shooter gets home, can he find it, and print it if he wishes to?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/27/2018, 9:15 pm

One thing to consider...

At the top of the chart, if someone has scores in each category, from "1" to "10", the scores in the box at the top get shown in two columns, which looks confusing.  Suppose you had something like this at the top:

==============
shots  score    points
0    x   10   =    00
0    x    9    =    00
0    x    8    =    00
0    x    7    =    00
0    x    6    =    00
0    x    5    =    00
0    x    4    =    00
0    x    3    =    00
0    x    2    =    00
0    x    1    =    00
Total                 00
==============

Now, suppose the first shots you scored were two "9's", meaning the scorer would hit the "9 key" twice.

You would then see:

==============
shots  score    points
0    x   10   =    00
2    x    9    =    18
0    x    8    =    00
0    x    7    =    00
0    x    6    =    00
0    x    5    =    00
0    x    4    =    00
0    x    3    =    00
0    x    2    =    00
0    x    1    =    00
Total                18
==============

This would match the way I was taught to score, and would be easy to verify.

Just a thought.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/27/2018, 10:28 pm

mikemyers wrote:Don, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I tried it up above a few minutes ago, and if I add up 11 hypothetical shots, the score just gets higher.  As far as I know, targets are for a maximum of 10 shots, and if someone were to fire 11, their "best" shot would be deleted, and so on if they fired even more than that.

Unless someone corrects me, maybe you can add that capability?  That way all shots can be counted, even if it was 11 or 12, and the "score" would match what is calculated now by hand.
To me this is an operator responsibility.  You need to determine which shots are entered (scored).  This is done before you score when you count rounds on target and determine how it needs to be handled.  It isn't always handled the same way as an example if it's a center fire match and you have 10 9mm shots and 1 45acp shot you would score the target as if the 45acp round didn't exist.  The shooter doesn't have to accept the 10 lowest (if the extra round is not his/hers) he/she can re-shoot the target.  When this happens he/she can only get a score no higher than what was on the original target.  So if the original target the high score is a 99-9X with the extra round being a 8 making the low score a 97-8X.  The re-shoot is a 100-10X the competitor has to accept the 99-9X, of course if they shoot a 95-2X on the re-fire they have to accept that score so there is risk.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/28/2018, 8:13 am

For the majority of you guys, I agree.  For a relative newcomer, like me, I would prefer to enter all of MY shots, and let the computer figure it out.  And if one of my rounds ended up on Mars, meaning there are only 9 holes on the target, I would prefer for the computer to add the missing shot(s) with zero points.

'dronning', if he adds those functions, and someone uses the scoring app as you suggest, the end result would be the same.  If the person makes a mistake, and adds an 11th round without thinking about it, the computer would automatically make a correction, which wouldn't be necessary if the shooter does what you suggest.

At my club, I often hear how people's math is not very good.  This little app could fix that.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by donpr 1/28/2018, 9:03 am

Thanks guys for your suggestions and discussion. I really appreciate the help.

Let me address a couple of the direct questions:

>> if I add up 11 hypothetical shots, the score just gets higher.

Yes. I haven't limited the shots you can enter. Part of that is because I'm not sure of all the varieties that may exist, and part was an attempt at simplicity. I had a look at different target sets, and was going to define the lowest scoring ring on each one, and allow the user to choose their target type. But, that meant the user had to choose their target type. It didn't feel like it helped the process.

This area may change, and probably will if I find a reason to have rings higher than 10.

>> When the shooter gets home, can he find it, and print it if he wishes to?

Currently no. That's partly because we aren't saving the information anywhere. There are no user  accounts or ability to see your past results. This area is likely to change, and we'll probably see the ability to add additional notes for a target set as well. I'll want to do it carefully, since the lack of data retention is what allows the service to work without an internet connection; several people have wanted that capability.

regards,

Don

donpr

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/28/2018, 11:16 am

Two suggestions, from my "programmer" past:

First, have a box at the top for "number of shots".  You can set the default at 10.  I have a feeling that 10 is a universal number for this, as it is for Bullseye.  At the bottom, to the left of the final SCORE, also have the number of shots displayed.  Not needed, but no reason not to.  (People can verify that it says "10".)

For printouts, all you need to do is to allow the user to SAVE the results to their phone or laptop.  Then they can print it, or mail it, or whatever they wish.  No need for you to save it.  The user can do a "screen capture" which accomplishes the same thing.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/28/2018, 11:29 am

donpr wrote:......so I created software to do it for me.....
(
Don,

It doesn't apply to Bullseye scoring, but since you know how to do this scoring software, you could write a similar program to do:  www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/accuracy/accuracy.html

For many years, that's how I used to calculate if I was improving or getting worse, and as a side benefit, it told me exactly which way to consider re-aiming my sights.  I added a one inch grid to my targets, and when I got home I measured where each of the holes was located.  I entered everything into the Excel spreadsheet, and got my answer.  In my mind, the most important thing was the grouping.  I figured I could always adjust the sights, to center the grouping over the X.  

Just something to think about in your spare time.......     :-)
)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/28/2018, 1:07 pm

Here is a trick I am sure most old shooters do. I never add up the score. I only add up the shots that are not 10s and then only add up the difference between the shot and a 10. This is a super fast way to figure the score in your head while your posting the score card. Example: 7, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, X, X would be scored(in head) 3+3+2+1+1 or 10. 100-10 = 90. Everyone can add up those simple numbers in their head. The only time it gets a little tougher is scoring someone that has difficulty keeping shots on paper. Then it is just easier to add up the score. Just my .02 about scoring.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next