Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bitter sweet range session

2 posters

Go down

Bitter sweet range session Empty Bitter sweet range session

Post by Paper-Puncher Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Ive been working with a new revolver , Ruger GP-100 in a 6'' I plan to use for target work with .38 wadcutters.....Not haveing much luck with load development after 2 range sessions and was getting alittle concerned about the accuracy I was seeing.....1.5-2.0 @ 25yds ...doesnt make a good target gun.....But yesterday while at the range a older guy hands me a box of old remington 38 HBWC's ..I mean old...the box had something on it about police match ammo and the box was a plain cardboard box.....So I shoot 3- 5 shot groups , and Bingo the groups measured 1/2-5/8'' at 25yds.....so now I know the gun is very capilbil of BE accuracy .....Very happy....One thing I noticed about this ammo was the lack of a crimp ..there was no roll crimp holding the HBWC in the case mouth....I was roll crimping my hand loads ....and useing Horniday 148gr HBWC with 2.7 of WST.....So now I will load 3 different loads for my next range session ....2.7 & 2.8 WST and 2.8 BE....The bullet was as before be seated flush but my bullet seat/ crimp die will be adjusted just to remove the bell from the case mouth ...another thing I learned is shooting from a rest isnt just lay the gun down and pull the trigger ..everything you do must be repeatable for consistant results....so now I know the gun is accurate...1/2-5/8'' @ 25yds ..I was very surprised at this ...I was honestly hopeing for right around a 1'' and even if it hit 1 1/4 '' I was going to be disapointed but 1/2-5/8'' ..I'm very pleased and surprised...now I just gotta develop some loads to match that....and of couse I was useing the open sights...sure wish I had a ransom

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Bitter sweet range session Empty Re: Bitter sweet range session

Post by BE Mike Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 pm

I contend that the roll crimp was later applied to factory match .38 SPL wadcutter ammo to make it easier to load into the cylinders of revolvers for PPC competitive shooting. I use a slight taper crimp on my reloads that I use for my S&W model 52-1 and revolvers. I just measured the mouth of some Winchester factory match (not roll crimped) and used that measurement for the crimp.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Mike -at this point , I will try my test loads with just enough crimp to remove the belling..and if that doesnt work I may need to get another die ....I use the lee .38 speacil 3 die set with the bullet seat and crimp in the same die...so now it is adjusted as I stated ...just to remove belling ..sure was nice to see that gun produce those nice little groups...

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down