Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 52

+2
CFPlinker
Jdrickards
6 posters

Go down

S&W Model 52 Empty S&W Model 52

Post by Jdrickards Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Acquired a used Model 52-1 in excellent condition however after the first 30 rounds or so it started to have failures to fire even though the previous round ejected fine and the hammer is back and the slide is fully forward.  Manually racking the slide resets the sear and fires normally and the next round again fails to fire.   Looking for suggestions before I take it to a good but expensive and slow gunsmith. Question
Jdrickards
Jdrickards

http://WWW.METROPISTOL.ORG

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 52 Empty Re: S&W Model 52

Post by CFPlinker Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:07 pm

If yours has the double action lockout screw (part no. 18 on the diagram) make sure it is tight. I don't remember exactly how they eliminated the double action function when they went to the -1 version but having this screw come loose on my no dash version caused all kinds of intermittent problems.

CFPlinker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jdrickards Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 pm

I will check this out - Thanks
Jdrickards
Jdrickards

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:44 pm

I doubt that this will help you, but maybe....
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/289292-model-39-2-fail-fire.html
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 am

It sounds like the problem is related to the disconnector.  The first thing I would do is remove the grips and clean around the sear, disconnector and trigger using CLP and q-tips, including the frame opening for the disconnector and where it contacts the slide.  If that didn't resolve the problem, then further disassembly and cleaning would be next.  Lastly, I would look into sending the gun off to have it adjusted or repaired. 

If you use Bullseye powder, it probably needs a thorough cleaning.  Good luck!

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 am

Is the trigger being allowed to come far enough forward to reset? trigger adjustment screw? Fat finger? Instead of re-wracking what happens when you try to pull the trigger forward? Did you hear a click? I have adjusted 1911 triggers up until they didn't reset. I have also had gunk in the action before that stopped them from working. Yea, and my fat finger has been a problem in the past.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jdrickards Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Yes I get a small click when I pull the trigger and I have cleaned the internals.  I'll look at possible trigger adjustments,
Jdrickards
Jdrickards

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Jdrickards wrote:Acquired a used Model 52-1 in excellent condition however after the first 30 rounds or so it started to have failures to fire even though the previous round ejected fine and the hammer is back and the slide is fully forward.  Manually racking the slide resets the sear and fires normally and the next round again fails to fire.   Looking for suggestions before I take it to a good but expensive and slow gunsmith. Question
Your failure to fire description is vague.
Are you saying that the slide is forward, the hammer is back and when you depress the trigger to the rear the hammer does not drop ?

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down