Adding a red dot to a 208s

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adding a red dot to a 208s

Post by 285wannab on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I am looking to add a red dot to my 208s.  I thought I would be clever and JB Weld a base on the top of my barrel.  I was thinking a couple of small dabs would do it.  Luckily I thought a little more about it before I tried it.  What I figured out is that I wouldn't be able to remove the slide easily.  Disaster diverted.
So options are use the front mounting base that Larry's sells.  Have a couple holes drilled and tapped and mount the base to the barrel.   Or have someone mill a dovetail into the barrel that would except rings.
I am thinking that Larry's mount throws off the balance of the gun.   
Would like to have dovetail and eliminate a base.  But thinking I could only use rings and not something like an Aimpoint base.
I am thinking my best option is to have it drilled and tapped to add a base.  I bought this gun used and it is in good shape but not a safe queen.
What has everyone else done?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Re: Adding a red dot to a 208s

Post by Jon Eulette on Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Back in the day I  used to shoot 208 with a mount that was on the front Barrel weight. I made it myself. The scope cantilevered backwards. I would pull it off to shoot international and put it back on to shoot BE. Zero was always good enough to shoot 890s :-) 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall on Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Back in the day I  used to shoot 208 with a mount that was on the front Barrel weight. I made it myself. The scope cantilevered backwards. I would pull it off to shoot international and put it back on to shoot BE. Zero was always good enough to shoot 890s :-) 
Jon
Although, not the regular 890s, I was regularly shooting 880s for a while and doing the same, pulling off the scope and shooting International Rapid Fire with mine.  One time I left the scope off and went to my Bullseye league night and, wouldn't you know it, I shot a 10x Rapid Fire target at 50 ft.  I wondered for a while why I would want to put the scope back on.  But, I do have a similar 10x Rapid that I shot with the scope.  I try to keep those in my gun box and look at them from time to time, remembering those days.  Darn, seems like ages ago...

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum