Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding a red dot to a 208s

+9
gregbenner
BE Mike
DonBrummer
Jack H
Mac2
willnewton
Chris Miceli
CR10X
285wannab
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Empty Adding a red dot to a 208s

Post by 285wannab Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am looking to add a red dot to my 208s.  I thought I would be clever and JB Weld a base on the top of my barrel.  I was thinking a couple of small dabs would do it.  Luckily I thought a little more about it before I tried it.  What I figured out is that I wouldn't be able to remove the slide easily.  Disaster diverted.
So options are use the front mounting base that Larry's sells.  Have a couple holes drilled and tapped and mount the base to the barrel.   Or have someone mill a dovetail into the barrel that would except rings.
I am thinking that Larry's mount throws off the balance of the gun.   
Would like to have dovetail and eliminate a base.  But thinking I could only use rings and not something like an Aimpoint base.
I am thinking my best option is to have it drilled and tapped to add a base.  I bought this gun used and it is in good shape but not a safe queen.
What has everyone else done?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Empty Re: Adding a red dot to a 208s

Post by Jon Eulette Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Back in the day I  used to shoot 208 with a mount that was on the front Barrel weight. I made it myself. The scope cantilevered backwards. I would pull it off to shoot international and put it back on to shoot BE. Zero was always good enough to shoot 890s :-) 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Thu May 03, 2018 12:45 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Back in the day I  used to shoot 208 with a mount that was on the front Barrel weight. I made it myself. The scope cantilevered backwards. I would pull it off to shoot international and put it back on to shoot BE. Zero was always good enough to shoot 890s :-) 
Jon
Although, not the regular 890s, I was regularly shooting 880s for a while and doing the same, pulling off the scope and shooting International Rapid Fire with mine.  One time I left the scope off and went to my Bullseye league night and, wouldn't you know it, I shot a 10x Rapid Fire target at 50 ft.  I wondered for a while why I would want to put the scope back on.  But, I do have a similar 10x Rapid that I shot with the scope.  I try to keep those in my gun box and look at them from time to time, remembering those days.  Darn, seems like ages ago...

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Empty What grips on this 208?

Post by hammerli Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
willnewton wrote:I have a Larry’s gun mount on my 215.  My opinion is that the weight forward is balanced by the scope in the rear.  The pistol feels solid and pleasant, and balances just in front of the trigger with my MDII.

The mount is aluminum, so is not that heavy.  The whole pistol weighs just a bit more than my scoped 1911s.  Recoil is practically non-existent.  Follow up shots are low effort as far as getting the dot back to your aiming area.

I shot the 215 with just irons for a while and immediately fabricated a nose weight, as I missed the added mass of the scope and mount.

Plus, it looks cool, which adds tens points.

What grips are you using on this 208? Custom made I guess

Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Ea96ff10
sweet gun, minus the arched mainspring =]

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 am

22 rail by Roddy

Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Img_0024
Adding a red dot to a 208s - Page 2 Magnet11
Jack H
Jack H