Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Usmcpistolteam work book question

5 posters

Go down

Usmcpistolteam work book question  Empty Usmcpistolteam work book question

Post by thessler 5/30/2018, 5:46 am

Hi
I am new to bullseye shooting,  practicing alot.
I thought I would try to go through the usmc work book and am already confused before the first exercise. 
Shoot at blank target.  In the definition it says use a six o'clock hold, I use iron sights so I normally use a six o'clock hold but where do I aim. If I aim at the bottom edge of the paper theoretically 50% of my shots would go below. If I just aim some where in the middle how could I get a group. I'm sure I'm over thinking this. Could someone please explain the proper procedure for this exercise. 
Thank you, Tom 

thessler

Back to top Go down

Usmcpistolteam work book question  Empty Re: Usmcpistolteam work book question

Post by Dcforman 5/30/2018, 6:03 am

If you use a 6 o'clock hold on a bull, your sights should place the bullet in the middle of the bullseye, or ~ a couple inches up from your aiming point. So if you aim at the bottom of the paper, your shots should be a couple inches up, all on the paper. That being said, when shooting at a blank target with irons, I just sort of aim for the middle.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler 5/30/2018, 6:31 am

OK thanks Dave 
I was pretty sure I was over thinking this.
Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/30/2018, 6:44 am

First, for bullseye do not "aim" at anything.  Find an Area of Aim your are comfortable with so you can complete the trigger press while in that area and your wobble is getting smaller.  If your wobble area starts getting larger, then the best time has passed, so start over. 

So, for blank target drills, your area of aim is that big white area down range.  Train to complete the trigger press while your wobble area is getting smaller within that big white area.  

Don't worry about the precise point of impact.  You are looking to get better groups of shots.  After you start getting groups, there are some screws on the sight that will move the groups where you want them to be relative to your area of aim.  Precise shots and small groups do not depend on where you aim, they depend on the orientation of the gun and the control of the trigger press. 

Bet you'll get smaller groups than when you try to "aim at something".  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/30/2018, 9:36 am

As Cecil said.

The purpose of the exercise is to get the focus on sight alignment and trigger control. Keep the gun pointed at the center of the reversed target but don’t “aim” it at anything. When you get a group consistently in the same place move the sights. When you can shoot a “circle sized” group in the center consistently then move on to a aiming mark
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler 5/30/2018, 10:00 am

OK thanks guys 
I definitely understand this better now.
My sights are zeroed in, I seem to be on a plateau and can't improve so I'm thinking this is a goo place to start.
Thanks, Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/30/2018, 10:40 am

Buy a case of 22, the cheapest you can find and shoot 60 rounds per session. Try for two sessions per day. More if you can. Take breaks of at least an hour between sessions. Dry fire on a blank wall at home. Shoot twice a week if you can even at a commercial indoor range. The key point is to shoot until you can group on a blank target.

Trigger, trigger, TRIGGER!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler 5/30/2018, 6:04 pm

Shot at the blank target today. Way less stressful when there is no bullseye to deal with. Actually got some decent groups,  will get back at it tommorow. 
Thanks, Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by Clamps 6/3/2018, 5:09 pm

Thanks for posting this thessler. I was over thinking the first exercise as well. 

Thanks of course goes out to the guys that know the low down on this stuff.

Clamps

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down