Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length?

+6
carykiteboarder
messenger
gregbenner
fc60
Chris Miceli
CraigB5940
10 posters

Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty 32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length?

Post by CraigB5940 8/7/2018, 7:45 am

I've got a 32 ACP conversion on the way for my Pardini SP and I'm going straight to reloads with the Hornady 60 Grain XTP bullet. Can anyone tell me what COL works in their Pardini SP for this bullet?
I'm also interested in COL of the Hornady factory ammo if anyone has a round handy to measure.

The Alliant load data for BE states 0.94 minimum COL.

Thanks in advance,

Craig B

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty Re: 32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length?

Post by Chris Miceli 8/7/2018, 7:53 am

24 pages of useful info
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42516

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty Re: 32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length?

Post by fc60 8/7/2018, 9:20 am

Greetings,

Contact Vladimir at PardiniUSA.

My memory is poor; but, I think it went like this...

60 XTP 0.311" bullet with 1.8 grains of VV N310 seated to an OverAllLength of 0.894".

Again, telephone Vladimir and double check.

Bear in mind that the Pardini 32 ACP chamber IS NOT SAMMI compliant. The Pardini headspaces on the case mouth, not the rim.

Also, the Pardini magazines will limit the over all length of the loaded round.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/7/2018, 5:05 pm

fc60 wrote:
Also, the Pardini magazines will limit the over all length of the loaded round.

Cheers,

Dave

The Pardini uses the same magazine for both 32 ACP and S&L long, wouldn't seem to help much with COL of an ACP cartridge?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 8/8/2018, 5:56 am

The Pardini uses the same magazine for both 32 ACP and S&L long, wouldn't seem to help much with COL of an ACP cartridge?

I have both and they are not the same. My S&WL mags will not function in my 32ACP. Visually the differences are subtle.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty Dave your memory is good!

Post by CraigB5940 8/8/2018, 6:55 am

Dave your memory is good!  Looks like the COL recommended by Pardini USA  is .046 less than the .940 listed for in the Alliant Load Data.

Here's the recommendation from Alex at Pardini USA:

Sure we have a few reported loads for this caliber from some of our shooters. Here is what they found as good:
Hornady/Frontier brass
Winchester small pistol primer
Hornady 60gr XTP bullet
1.8gr VHIT N-310
C.O.L.: .894”
Crimp .330” – important

Best Regards,

Alexander Chichkov

Director of Marketing and Sales
Pardini USA LLC

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/8/2018, 7:58 am

messenger wrote:

I have both and they are not the same. My S&WL mags will not function in my 32ACP. Visually the differences are subtle.

Bil

I also have both conversions and use the same magazines.  I even called Vladimir at Pardini USA, who confirmed they were the same part number as well

Perhaps you are referring to early model guns, there are some subtle differences in years past I believe?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 8/8/2018, 8:03 am

gregbenner wrote:
I also have both conversions and use the same magazines.  I even called Vladimir at Pardini USA, who confirmed they were the same part number as well.  

Perhaps you are referring to early model guns, there are some subtle differences in years past I believe.

That sounds reasonable. My 32S&WL is an earlier model.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/8/2018, 8:06 am

I understand from talking with Vladimir that the COL is perhaps longer due to a different shape on certain 83 grain bullets?  Apparently a longer shaped bullet?  I don’t use them, so not sure

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder 8/8/2018, 8:59 am

And, in case you are interested, using Bullseye powder, 2.1gr gives very similar results.  I tested both N310 and Bullseye powders.

For N310 i tried 1.6gr, 1.7gr, 1.8gr and 1.9gr.  In my gun, 1.8gr was best -- exactly as suggested by Pardini.  (CAUTION! I aborted testing 1.9gr loads.  The group got ugly and things didn't feel "right".)  I doubt 1.6gr would reliably function over the long term.  Using 1.7gr would be an acceptable load.

With BE powder, I tried 2.0gr and 2.1gr.  The load with 2.1gr was very similar to the N310 1.8gr.

I could not tell any difference in accuracy of the two best loads shooting from sandbags.  At the time I had a slight preference for the recoil of the BE load.  To be honest, if I shot these two in a blind test, it would be very unlikely that I could tell the difference.

I think BE powder is less sensitive to cold weather.  N310 is a lot cleaner than BE.
Glen
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/8/2018, 9:51 am

Glen, what bullets are you referring to.  Hornady JHP?

I Use 1.35 N310 with the lead T&B bullets for SL and target. Very reliable and accurate. Lot cheaper too

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty Thanks guys!

Post by CraigB5940 8/8/2018, 10:21 am

This information is  very likely to help cut down the back and forth range trips to get the 32 ACP conversion ready for my next match. My Beneiil MP 90 in 32 SW Long simply gave up the ghost  a few weeks ago on reliability after 3,000 rounds and I have to send it back to Larry's guns. I replaced the extractor, plunger, spring, buffer and even tried factory ammo-no luck it's an alibi machine right now. I started to get promising result's with my Dave Wilson Barrel and resized Speer 98 gr plinkers.

Since I am starting over I decided that  reloading for the  32 ACP may simplify my pursuit of acceptable long line accuracy. I got the 22 SP BE one month ago and I fell in love with the way it shoots compared to my  Benelli Mp 90's in 22 and 32.

The conversion is due in today, so the fun starts this evening!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/8/2018, 12:24 pm

Craig, I also have Benelli MP90s in 22 and 32. Although  I really like my Benelli’s, I like the Pardini better. Hard to describe, maybe like comparing Craftsman tools to Snap On tool. Theoretically they are the same, but...

Not sure whether the ACP is more accurate than the wadcutter, but I’m really starting to like the ACP. Easier to load, and perhaps easier availability of bullets. I’m in process of putting together a 32ACP conversion for my Hammerli SP20, as well as a couple others.  If they shoot as well as the Pardini, I’ll be estatic

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by tray999 8/8/2018, 12:35 pm

CraigB5940 wrote:This information is  very likely to help cut down the back and forth range trips to get the 32 ACP conversion ready for my next match. My Beneiil MP 90 in 32 SW Long simply gave up the ghost  a few weeks ago on reliability after 3,000 rounds and I have to send it back to Larry's guns. I replaced the extractor, plunger, spring, buffer and even tried factory ammo-no luck it's an alibi machine right now. I started to get promising result's with my Dave Wilson Barrel and resized Speer 98 gr plinkers.

Since I am starting over I decided that  reloading for the  32 ACP may simplify my pursuit of acceptable long line accuracy. I got the 22 SP BE one month ago and I fell in love with the way it shoots compared to my  Benelli Mp 90's in 22 and 32.

The conversion is due in today, so the fun starts this evening!

Craig,

Welcome to the 32acp club!   I have recently been loading the Hornady 60 grain XTP with N310 1.8 grain loads and it has proven an accurate load.   I prefer N310 powder over Bullseye because it so much cleaner shooting.   I will try the T&B cast bullets when the case expanders are available.
tray999
tray999

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder 8/8/2018, 12:49 pm

gregbenner wrote:Glen, what bullets are you referring to.  Hornady JHP?

I Use 1.35 N310 with the lead T&B bullets for SL and target. Very reliable and accurate. Lot cheaper too
Yes.  I am using Hornady XTP 60gr JHP (.311") exclusively.
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty FYI Dave Wilson's Barrel IS NOT THE PROBLEM FOLKS!

Post by CraigB5940 8/8/2018, 1:29 pm

Dave Wilson was kind enough to inquire directly to me if his custom barrel could be the issue-IT IS NOT!
I don't want anyone to reach a false conclusion so here is what I sent back to Dave today:

"David,

It’s not your barrel for sure.
Just when I got to the point of finishing the testing for your swaged plinkers, I cleaned the pistol and replaced the recoil buffer with one of Larry’s buffers-I think I replaced the factory one with one of his before this change.
I shot a match with your bullets and things were looking good. I was going to test some of Greg Benner’s plinkers after the cleaning and decide which die pattern I would order.

The malfunctions happened at once after the buffer was changed after the cleaning.   It occurs  with your barrel and the factory barrel even with a recoil spring replacement, extractor, extractor plunger and extractor spring replacement!
It happens with all four magazines I own, two of them are backup mags and nearly new.

The case being fed feeds too way high and the bottom  1/3 of the bullet hits the top of the barrel throat.

It’s very frequent, every 2 or 3 shots! I’ve ruined lots of cases testing all of the above items changed one at a time!

Up until this time the pistol  shot factory 98 gr and 83 gr loads, reloads with the same Lapua bullets and your suggested load with BE without any trouble at all, maybe 1 alibi in 3500 rounds.
Your barrel functioned same as the factory barrel, I don’t think I ever had one malfunction in 500 rounds.  The fact that the exact thing happens with the factory barrel leads me to believe it is a strange problem, how complicated is the buffer replacement?

I’ll see what Larry has to say but it is very disturbing  that it gave up the ghost like this. The MP 90 22 has held up very well for the past 20 years, only a broken firing pin after 20K rounds or so.

The MP 90 in 32 is one year old.
The 22 Pardini shoots so much better than the22  Benelli  relative the balance, trigger feel, and recoil recovery in Timed and Rapid Fire that I thought I’d see if I can make one gun handle both RF and CF for now."

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/8/2018, 3:21 pm

Yikes, good luck on the fix. Definitely doesn’t sound like a barrel issue. I’ve got a couple of Dave’s  barrels, they are indeed the highest quality.

The only problem I encountered shooting the Pardini in 22 and 32, using the same lower, was adjusting the sights. Between the long and short line, and then different settings for 22 and 32 was just too much for my feeble old mind, partularly during a match:shock:

However, I think most don’t find this a big deal.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 8/9/2018, 7:03 am

Nobody should try to keep that stuff in their mind.  I write all of my sight changes down on a piece of paper and staple it to my gun box lid.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/9/2018, 7:55 am

Dr.Don wrote:Nobody should try to keep that stuff in their mind.  I write all of my sight changes down on a piece of paper and staple it to my gun box lid.
Oh I did.  Still got confused lol! 

Also, and I know this doesn’t make sense, the required adjustments among my three conversions seem to change.  Now, I just sight it in when I switch.  I just don’t do it during a match. Nearly done with a modification to mount the sights to the barrel shrouds so the sight stays with barrel.  Minor issue.Smile

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianFromPardini 8/9/2018, 11:02 am

Hello both .32 S&W and ACP fit in the same magazine which is part number 821.

Best regards,
Christian McAfee
Pardini USA LLC
info@pardinguns.com
Office: 1.813.983.9839
Fax: 1.813.899.1110

ChristianFromPardini

Back to top Go down

32 ACP Overall Length For Pardini SP/Hornady Factory XTP Ammo Overall Length? Empty The Pardini Reccomended Load Works Well

Post by CraigB5940 8/10/2018, 7:43 pm

I used the Pardini USA recommended load but with Starline brass and Federal small pistol match primers.
I did a quick test in the last hour of shooting light, 50 shots in my brand new conversion, ten to sight in and then shoot four targets for record. No malfunctions and a high ten ring count at the long line-I did not have the time to mount a scope to do a  sandbag test so I shot with the dot just like a match.

The best target had 8 tens, if I did my part I should have cleaned it!. My targets were 95, 95, 91 and 91.
I also bumped the trigger up from 2 lbs to 2.5 lbs so I can be legal for CF, I was getting the feel for my new trigger adjustments as well.
So far so good.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/11/2018, 11:48 am

Folks, now I'm totally confused, perhaps someone can help me understand where I'm wrong. I was always under the impression that .311 Hornady bullets are too small for .314 Pardini bore and that's the problem that .314 T&B lead bullets solve. If that's not the case, then why would I want to choose T&B LSWC over the Hornady bullets (well, except the cost of the bullets). Based on everything I've read so far on Targettalk and here, the T&B bullet over the same 1.8gr VV 310 is the most accurate load. Am I wrong?
Yeah, whatever load gives me 95 slow fire on the long line, I'll take it! (Doesn't happen very often to me even with .22, but hey, a man can dream Smile)

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 8/11/2018, 2:25 pm

I agree that the .311 bullet accuracy makes no sense, and I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation for it.  But in my Pardini Ransom Rest tests the .311 60gr XTP shoots 1.6-1.7" groups at 50 yds.  The best I'm able to get out of the .314 T&B 60 is 2.2-2.3" at 50 yds.  I still regard that as quite good and use the T&B for all training and for the short line because it costs so much less.  But I'm still mystified by the results.

By the way, both loads are better than factory Hornady in my gun.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down