Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 Drill & Tap Question

+7
Larry2520
JKR
jglenn21
bullseye
zanemoseley
james r chapman
brassmaster
11 posters

Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by brassmaster 8/31/2018, 4:13 pm

I just know enough about gunsmithing to be dangerous, so here is my question to those that do know. When a 1911 slide is drilled & tapped for an optic's base mount, do the holes completely penetrate the slide?
brassmaster
brassmaster

Posts : 267
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of West Virginia's Appalachian Mountains

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by james r chapman 8/31/2018, 4:25 pm

Mine all did.
It's a pretty thin wall.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 6212
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 75
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by zanemoseley 8/31/2018, 4:33 pm

Yup

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by brassmaster 8/31/2018, 4:43 pm

Thanks Jim & Zane--appreciated! I did notice that a 1911 slide doesn't have much meat to it.
brassmaster
brassmaster

Posts : 267
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of West Virginia's Appalachian Mountains

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by bullseye 8/31/2018, 4:58 pm

brassmaster wrote:Thanks Jim & Zane--appreciated! I did notice that a 1911 slide doesn't have much meat to it.

Check out the current Colt 1911's.
Some of them are scary thin..... No

bullseye

Posts : 20
Join date : 2018-06-18
Age : 71
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by jglenn21 8/31/2018, 5:41 pm

for a four screw rail..

front two screws always.

back two ? sometimes.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by JKR 8/31/2018, 5:53 pm

jglenn21 wrote:for a four screw rail..

front two screws always.

back two ? sometimes.
The front two. Yes

The back two. Into the firing pin channel? NO!

JKR

Posts : 763
Join date : 2015-01-13
Location : Northern Wisconsin

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by jglenn21 8/31/2018, 5:58 pm

I agree but I've seen it done....Ok if you hone the tunnel but not the best idea.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Larry2520 8/31/2018, 7:19 pm

I've drilled and tapped two of my own and all four holes are clear through. Once drilled tapping is the worst part. Go slowly and I mean very slowly with plenty of lube. If you break a tap you'll play he** getting it out if it breaks off low.

Larry2520

Posts : 139
Join date : 2017-05-07

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by jglenn21 8/31/2018, 7:40 pm

two words


Tap Magic (original formula)
jglenn21
jglenn21

Posts : 2588
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 76
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by fc60 8/31/2018, 7:58 pm

Greetings,

Be sure to use fine pitch taps. i.e. 6-40, not 6-32, for best holding strength.

A tap guide or other method to keep the tap perpendicular to the work.

Also, be professional and chamfer the tapped hole 90 degrees.

Clean with Trichloroethylene and apply a drop of Blue LocTite to the threads.

Oil the assembly after the LocTite cures, about 24 hours.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2011-06-11
Location : South Prairie, WA 98385

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Chris Miceli 8/31/2018, 8:01 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Be sure to use fine pitch taps. i.e. 6-40, not 6-32, for best holding strength.

A tap guide or other method to keep the tap perpendicular to the work.

Also, be professional and chamfer the tapped hole 90 degrees.

Clean with Trichloroethylene and apply a drop of Blue LocTite to the threads.

Oil the assembly after the LocTite cures, about 24 hours.

Cheers,

Dave
wouldn't 8-36 be better?

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2715
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Jon Eulette 8/31/2018, 8:07 pm

All the scope rails I’ve seen come with 6-40 screws and are countersunk accordingly. To use 8-36 you would need to re-drill the clearance holes in the rail and then countersink them.  So is 8-36 better? Sure it is. But most people don’t want to pay the extra charge to get them. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 4399
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Wobbley 8/31/2018, 8:08 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Be sure to use fine pitch taps. i.e. 6-40, not 6-32, for best holding strength.

A tap guide or other method to keep the tap perpendicular to the work.

Also, be professional and chamfer the tapped hole 90 degrees.

Clean with Trichloroethylene and apply a drop of Blue LocTite to the threads.

Oil the assembly after the LocTite cures, about 24 hours.

Cheers,

Dave
wouldn't 8-36 be better?
Not necessarily.  Depending on the slide thickness you may not have enough threads.  It takes at least three full threads to get any significant clamping on a screw.  After you have 7 you get almost no increase in clamping...so if your gonna go up to 8 go to 8-40 or better.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Posts : 4648
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Chris Miceli 8/31/2018, 8:08 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:All the scope rails I’ve seen come with 6-40 screws and are countersunk accordingly. To use 8-36 you would need to re-drill the clearance holes in the rail and then countersink them.  So is 8-36 better? Sure it is. But most people don’t want to pay the extra charge to get them. 
Jon
but its more  better!

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2715
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by zanemoseley 8/31/2018, 8:49 pm

1/4"-20 bolts or nothing. Go big or go home.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Chris Miceli 8/31/2018, 9:12 pm

zanemoseley wrote:1/4"-20 bolts or nothing. Go big or go home.
that is a terrible idea

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2715
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by zanemoseley 8/31/2018, 10:03 pm

Lol of course I was joking. My luck someone would actually do that.

zanemoseley

Posts : 2681
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Cookeville, TN

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by james r chapman 9/1/2018, 6:44 am

I just made a sleeve for my slide so the 1/4 -20's would work.
solid as a rock.
with the matchdot II it's steady as a rock.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 6212
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 75
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

1911 Drill & Tap Question Empty Re: 1911 Drill & Tap Question

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum