Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations

+4
BE Mike
Wobbley
Chris Miceli
GerhardG
8 posters

Go down

45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations Empty 45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations

Post by GerhardG Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi fellow enthusiasts,  I am new to Bullseye and below is not what I would be using anyway, but I enjoy shooting my 44 mag and I noticed some of the same variations in load data as in 45 ACP.
Just for fun, I was wondering about actual powder charge limits.
The Alliant reloading chart shows the following;
200-gr Speer LSWC Unique 5.4 gr max for 790fps
200-gr Speer GDHP Unique 7.3 gr max for 984fps
Oregon Laser cast Standard load
200-gr  Oregon LSCW Unique start 5.0 gr 713fps to a max 6.4 gr for 879fps.
Oregon Laser cast 

I believe the LSWC by Speer is softer than the Oregon Laser cast 200 gr. LSWC which I understand is supposed to be a harder lead. 

My question is can I ignore some of the powder charge load limits and assume a powder load range to be 5 gr start to 7.3 gr max?

PS I believe X-Rings are worth more than Nose rings. Very Happy

GerhardG

Back to top Go down

45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations Empty Re: 45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Ignore, Bulleseye  loads are below 800fps For jhp lswc I’m sure you’ll see some in the 6-7 ranges

Last edited by Chris Miceli on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations Empty Re: 45 ACP bullet weight Powder charge weight variations

Post by Wobbley Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 am

Gerhard:  The reason the Speer LSWC are kept below 800 is that higher and they are prone to leading.  Harder cast bullets top out at 1100.  YMMV.  

All that said Bullseye pistols tend to be downloaded for recoil management,  Powder charges are way down in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and bullet velocities are 750 fps or slower.  Most of these can shoot x-ring size groups at 25 yards all day.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 am

Frankly, I'd consider a different powder for match .45 ACP ammo. I don't think that Unique is optimal for the velocities and bullets weights needed in this game. Most competitors use Bullseye, Titegroup, WST, VV 310, etc. The powder charge depends upon a few things, i.e. slide mounted scope, frame mounted scope, iron sights and recoil spring weight. Bullseye shooters are looking for the best accuracy with minimum recoil because we have no power factor to meet. Having said that, if you have a whole bunch of Unique, by all means use it. I don't care for the Speer bullets for bullseye match shooting, and I've tried them. Oregon Laser Cast, on the other hand, are quality. There probably are equally good cast bullets out there that are less pricey. One thing about bullseye shooting is that it has been around so long, that there are a lot of tried and true loads that one can copy. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm

In here Alliant (Hercules) listed 5.1 Unique as a target load with a 200lswc.  Probably a tad stiff today..
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant/Hercules_1987.pdf
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Wobbley wrote:In here Alliant (Hercules) listed 5.1 Unique as a target load with a 200lswc.  Probably a tad stiff today..
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant/Hercules_1987.pdf
i don't think unique runs well at low charges, i hear it doesn't meter that great either. I love bullseye but i think i'm gonna give be-86 a solid try.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm

HP-38 and A5 might be a good options too.  Unique is good too........... if you weight each charge.  I'm yet to find powder measure that would do the job on its own with it. 
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I have it on good authority that BE-86 is one of the powders of choice for loading Federal GMM 45 185 SWC.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aufidius Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Wobbley wrote:I have it on good authority that BE-86 is one of the powders of choice for loading Federal GMM 45 185 SWC.

Mind sharing what a good starting charge might be?
Aufidius
Aufidius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 pm

5.2-5.4 I hear

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:54 am

Aufidius wrote:
Wobbley wrote:I have it on good authority that BE-86 is one of the powders of choice for loading Federal GMM 45 185 SWC.

5.5 and adjust until you get to 775 fps.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am

Not too far back I called Federal and talked to someone that was very familiar with that specific bullet and was told that Federal would not selling any of the components to that load. Since then I have seen only one occasion when the particular bullet, (185 gr. jacketed SWC) and I figured that those might be seconds. So is that particular bullet available and currently sold to the public now?

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Gary Wells wrote:
Not too far back I called Federal and talked to someone that was very familiar with that specific bullet and was told that Federal would not selling any of the components to that load. Since then I have seen only one occasion when the particular bullet, (185 gr. jacketed SWC) and I figured that those might be seconds. So is that particular bullet available and currently sold to the public now?
No the federal jswc is not for sale to the public.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Many thanks, Chris. I also asked them if the cases used in the Fed GMM .45 auto were the same as their other .45 auto cases. Don't remember their response but they would not sell me any of their cases. They also informed me that every one of the loaded rounds were weighed & screened for safety reasons. They would not tell me what the upper & lower limits were.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 am

Gary Wells wrote:Many thanks, Chris. I also asked them if the cases used in the Fed GMM .45 auto were the same as their other .45 auto cases. Don't remember their response but they would not sell me any of their cases. They also informed me that every one of the loaded rounds were weighed & screened for safety reasons. They would not tell me what the upper & lower limits were.
I guess that one bad one gets through once in a while. I remember Zins complaining about Federal GMM .45 ACP ammo. He claimed that one round was undercharged and cost him a low 5 or 6 in slow fire at Camp Perry. He switched ammo, and it wasn't Federal.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Wobbley wrote:
Aufidius wrote:

5.5 and adjust until you get to 775 fps.

One good load I have is 5.4 BE-86 with Zero LWCHP.  For 25yds I load at 5.5gr so I get no alibis.  It is just at dirty as BE

I have not found a good load in my pistol with a 200gr bullet I have several thousands of.  I also have not tested with any JHP yet.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down