Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

testing out a new score sheet

+3
TonyH
CR10X
Aprilian
7 posters

Go down

testing out a new score sheet Empty testing out a new score sheet

Post by Aprilian 9/22/2018, 11:40 am

Even though I love to do math in my head, I've blown the math on other competitors scorecards - and others have credited me more points than I actually shot.    I sometimes don't catch these errors on my scores until later when I enter them shot-by-shot in my tracking spreadsheet.

The recent discussion on bringing new shooters into the sport got me thinking about an easier way for math-challenged and new shooters to score.   I'm calling a match tomorrow and I'm going to ask for feedback on this new scoresheet.

I also welcome your feedback.   Feel free to take this, modify it and use it at your club (if it is of any help).  If you do modify it, add your version to this thread so we can see how it evolves.

Ian
Attachments
testing out a new score sheet Attachment
new BE Scoresheet.xlsx You don't have permission to download attachments.(14 Kb) Downloaded 114 times
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

testing out a new score sheet Empty Re: testing out a new score sheet

Post by CR10X 9/23/2018, 10:48 am

Let me know how it works out and the response.  

Just one comment / observation.  Competitors seem to make just as many errors counting the number of shots of a value as the they do math errors.  I don't know how this is to be used, by the scorer / competitor or match official to compute score for each target. Since the shooter can't see the total score to check, he must count the number of shots of each value to check the score. And the math is still there for the digitally challenged if the scorer is doing the totals.  Seems to me it would work out about the same in term of probably errors and checking of score by competitor.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 9/23/2018, 11:28 am

Let me know how it works out and the response.  

Just one comment / observation.  Competitors seem to make just as many errors counting the number of shots of a value as the they do math errors.  I don't know how this is to be used, by the scorer / competitor or match official to compute score for each target. Since the shooter can't see the total score to check, he must count the number of shots of each value to check the score. And the math is still there for the digitally challenged if the scorer is doing the totals.  Seems to me it would work out about the same in term of probably errors and checking of score by competitor.
+1
Plus ALL the paperwork! Three sheets for a 900? Oi vay! I hate paperwork!  Laughing
However, some awesome out of the box thinking! Keep it up!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/23/2018, 4:37 pm

If I read it right each section is a score card so you would still have 7 score cards per 900.

Might be an issue if you are shooting an NRA registered match and someone breaks a record, this may not be accepted by the NRA.

I personally want each shot recorded with it's value, if there is a challenge then it would be marked on that specific shot.

This does not eliminate math, I think the easiest solution to the math issue is to use the calculator on your phone or bring one.  I don't even have to enter the numbers manually on my phone I can just ask it to add for me. 

One issue on newbies scoring they try and add up the points when it is far easier (in most cases) to add up the lost points and subtract.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 9/23/2018, 7:25 pm

Greetings,

https://www.kumon.com/math-program

I find it disappointing to see so many shooters using their "smart" phones to add up a ten shot string.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 9/23/2018, 9:19 pm

I'm sorry, this seems way too complicated, but I guess the way I was taught to add up each string may be too hard for some people; i.e. 10 is zero, nine is one, eight is two, etc. and then you subtract the total from 100 to get the score.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 9/23/2018, 9:29 pm

I've gotten pretty good at calculating scores from years of validation as well as scoring, but I still do err.  I can recognize groups now, i.e. 7 7 6 or 7 7 8 8 is 10, or 8 9 9 9 is 5, etc.  But, I had one protege, if I could call him that, who had a very tough time.  On the back of his clipboard he had a chart:

Code:

1 - 99
2 - 98
3 - 97
4 - 96
I think, as he was figuring out how much to subtract, he was counting off corners of the shot block - for a seven, he tapped three corners, etc.  Then when he got his count, he looked at the chart for the score.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down