Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another sight adjustment question.

3 posters

Go down

Another sight adjustment question.  Empty Another sight adjustment question.

Post by Sheriff1962 Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am

Your 1911 is adjusted for center hold at 25 yards with Federal Match 185swc. If You were to move to 50 yards and keep using center hold , how many clicks up do You normally need with Bomar style sights?  How many clicks would You do if You decided to shoot six oclock at 50?

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Another sight adjustment question.  Empty Re: Another sight adjustment question.

Post by robert84010 Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:37 pm

enough to put the shots in the middle. Smile Smile

You need to realize that everyone adjusts a little differently. many don't click at all. If I told you to put 9 clicks on would you go to a match and consider that right? You need to test for your eyes, hold, ammo, lighting condition and see what it takes. That is the good news, you have a reason to go to the range AND SHOOT! 

Personally, my rear sight is adjusted to have shots in the center at 25 yards. I don't adjust for 50. If that has me 3/8" low at 50 so be it. I would rather not add one more thing to my routine, that has very little effect, and would rather focus on getting set for the next stage. I rarely have a shot 3/8" low that would effect my score, I can guarantee I have just as many 3/8" high. Four clicks is not the difference between being a marksman or a master. If I start to repeatedly group ALL shots in the 9 ring at 50 I might reconsider.

Last week in practice I shot a 193, basically a 96 and and 97, on the 25 yard slowfire target, all within the 9 ring. Yesterdays 22 EIC match I had a high 8 and a low 8. So how would the four clicks have mattered?  But I still won the leg medal.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Another sight adjustment question.  Empty Re: Another sight adjustment question.

Post by Sheriff1962 Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:14 pm

robert84010 wrote:enough to put the shots in the middle. Smile Smile

You need to realize that everyone adjusts a little differently. many don't click at all.

You need to test for your eyes, hold, ammo, lighting condition and see what it takes. That is the good news, you have a reason to go to the range AND SHOOT! 

Personally, my rear sight is adjusted to have shots in the center at 25 yards. I don't adjust for 50. If that has me 3/8" low at 50 so be it. I would rather not adjust between lines. I rarely have a shot 3/8" low that would effect my score. Four clicks is not the difference between being a marksman or a master. If I start to repeatedly group ALL shots in the 9 ring at 50 I might reconsider.

Last week in practice I shot a 193, basically a 96 and and 97, on the 25 yard slowfire target, all within the 9 ring. Yesterdays 22 EIC match I had a high 8 and a low 8. So how would the four clicks have mattered?  But I still won the leg medal.
Ok.  I see.  I now shoot center both 25 and 50.  My gun is set up for center hold at 25 with 185 SWC Federal.   When I shoot center hold at 50, shots are low   in the black , but low .  I come up 3-4 clicks to bring everything up.  I am curious , if You dont adjust sights , do You aim higher ?

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Absolutely not, learning to hold two different holds would be a wasted effort. I'm saying I don't care about the rare low shot just off the ring. I also have high shots so maybe the four clicks would have those out the top? I'm sighted in to clean a 25 yard target, which I do. I had TF 99-6x yesterday in the NRA match. The one nine-high-because my sight alignment was high.
If I shot one hole groups that were 3/8" low I would adjust the sight. I don't, my errors are random and the four clicks would not statistically show a marked improvement in score.

BTW, with a dot I do adjust 4 clicks but that is because my calls are better and generally my group is tighter and therefore the clicks do make a difference. I have been replying to your question based on iron sights.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff1962 Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Ok  So zero at 25 and hold same 50.  I will try .

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm

You have sights and a screw driver, they were put there to be adjusted. Not that complicated

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down