Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ Empty Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ

Post by oxbowbob Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:23 am

Since I just left one that wasn't .... 

Does anyone have a lead on a shooter friendly eye doctor in south jersey?

Thanks in advance
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ Empty Re: Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ

Post by mspingeld Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:50 am

I sent my prescription info to Morgan Optical. He made bi-focal lenses for my Randolph glasses. I have 2 right lenses. One for dot, one for iron sights.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ Empty Re: Looking for a shooter friendly eye doctor in SJ

Post by oxbowbob Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 am

mspingeld wrote:He made bi-focal lenses for my Randolph glasses. I have 2 right lenses. One for dot, one for iron sights.

So does that mean you could use your regular bi-focal glasses if you wanted to? If you're using a dot ... which lens do you look through ... do you have to raise your head to look through the bottom lens?

I'm very new to this whole eye doctor thing ... like in 66 years today was my first visit. He told me my eyes were in surprisingly good condition but seemed intent on correcting my vision without addressing the sole reason I was there.

My main issues is under certain light conditions (low) my dot doesn't resemble anything close to a dot. I shot in a 50 foot indoor match a few weeks ago and it was so distorted it just about took up the whole target. And that's at a brightness that I can barely see.  I've tried different dots. Some are worse, but I pretty much have the same results with them all.
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:33 am

Sounds like your eyes are dialating to the point you can no longer focus.  The range is too dark
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am

For me, my regular bifocals would be good for dot shooting but not for irons. The correction for reading is not the same as needed to get the front sight sharp.

I'm no expert but I think a distorted dot is due to astigmatism (which can be corrected with glasses). I use my distance prescription for the dot and the lower, bifocal portion, to score and see the gun for sight adjustments. The 2nd lens, for irons, is my distance prescription plus 0.75 which allows me to see the front sight clearly. The bottom of the 2nd lens is the same bifocal prescription that allows me to read/see close up.

I recommend you talk to your eye doctor about what you need for the sport. You could bring the red dot to his office. If you also shoot irons, measure the distance from your eye to the front sight when standing in shooting position and bring that measurement as well.

Hope this is helpful.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 am

+1 on the range being dark, but I do have the same issue to some extent in brighter situations.  Just the dark made it 100x worse.  It's hard to explain what I see ... sometimes it's a comet, other times 3/4 rings of different brightness... that last match was just a blob.

I did in fact bring a dot with me. Told him I had it at least three times. He didn't seem interested in talking about it or how it was used. I told him why I was there in the first sixty seconds and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be there at all. Seemed like a great eye doctor and guy.  He did not seem gun friendly or interested.

When he turned me over to the girl that was selling the glasses she asked "me" what I wanted? Like I said I'm new to this and I some how thought I was going to get glasses that I'd wear to clear up the dot. She wants to know if I want bi-focals or a set to read and one to drive. After I explained my goal I told her to give me what would achieve that. She had no clue but was actually more interested than the doctor. I sent her to find out exactly what I needed to do. She came back and said he doesn't like to be bothered between patients so he was short with me, but said we would make a lens that was between your reading and distance prescription. That just wasn't what I wanted to hear. Which is why I made this post

I think since Mike has some luck with his bi-focals and dots I'll go back and just get the bi-focal lenses and see if either make a difference.

Sorry for the ramble Smile
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 am

Find another optometrist who will listen to you! From there, you can take steps to pass along information to him or her about what you need to accomplish: 

You may want to go this web site-it's got a treasure trove of info.

https://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

I downloaded this item: Updates to the BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE (added in January 2018)-it's priceless!

I reviewed item #4 with my optometrist this year and I brought in my red dot mounted on a double sided Picatinny rail I fabricated to slide in and out of an AR 15 forearm grip that serves as my "Pistol". I set the length to of red dot to my eye to be the same as my Pardini SP.

It turns out my Astigmatism correction was not the problem! I needed to add +.25 to my distance prescription to get the dot into a solid dot instead of a figure eight. I also him check the RX I was shooting with on his lensmeter-it turns out the lab missed last years distance Rx for me by -.25 so for the past year I was fighting a RX that was not correctly ground into the lens plus not knowing I should have been changing my distance by a +.25 correction for the red dot. So now I think I got it figured out! 

Once he read item #4 we were sailing down easy street!

Good Luck!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm

CraigB5940 wrote:Find another optometrist

That's a gimme.

Awesome link & info.  Thank you!

Where is your doc in SE PA ... he may be close enough for me.
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 am

The practice is Main Line Vision in Wayne PA, Dr Lochetto attended to me.  Their phone is 610-688-3433. Back in 2015 I found on a forum that Casssey Optical in Brookhaven PA also is familiar with shooter's needs. I emailed them and they said they had an OD there who is familiar with shooter's needs-you could search for them via Google and ask them if this is still true. I have never asked my practice about bringing in my firearms, my red dot mock up worked just fine. You can see in Dr Wong's document that he did a dual mockup that has a red dot on one side and a Bomar rib Iron sight set up on the other side of his pistol mock up!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Wayne is only about an hour from me, so they could be in my future.

I do have an update on the eye doctor I used.  I figured I already used up a visit so I may as well get something for it. I went back to order the frames with my script and would deal with the dot with someone I was more comfortable with. The girl I talked to today was much more helpful and after a long talked I agreed to have them grind me a set using the data they had and based on what I was trying to accomplish.  They will regrind them for 60 days if need be. I can't say I'd ever go back because he didn't address this with me directly, but I have a little more than I had yesterday.

Thank you everyone!  I think if I can see I'll shoot better Smile
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down