Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I keep going to the match?

+10
john bickar
Aprilian
Jon Eulette
weber1b
CR10X
kjanracing
David R
mspingeld
Doug Tiedt
Dianar7788
14 posters

Go down

Should I keep going to the match?  Empty Should I keep going to the match?

Post by Dianar7788 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:10 pm

I'm a new bullseye shooter. Currently I'm following the USMC workbook and just passed the 20 consecutive shots in L-9 phase.
I have experienced the 900 points match several times (mostly indoor). I was able to shoot ok at 25 yards during the match before I followed the workbook. After I followed the workbook, currently it's all slow fire practice. I feel like I forget how to shoot quicker like timed fire and rapid fire in the match. So of course, the scores are not as good as before. 

My question is - Maybe I should concentrate on the training only, follow it and not go to match anymore till I master the timed fire and rapid fire session from the workbook?

My ultimate goal is at least being somewhat competitive for Perry. I don't really care my current score at local match. 

I just don't know going to the match regularly at my current level is helpful or more distracting for my goal? 

I'd appreciate your opinion! Smile

Dianar7788

Back to top Go down

Should I keep going to the match?  Empty Re: Should I keep going to the match?

Post by Doug Tiedt Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

IMHO, different goals.

Your training is helping you to shoot accurately in the time (SF, TF, RF) you are currently working on.

Competition introduces stress into your shooting, that is more difficult to replicate with training alone.  If you want to shoot at Perry, you're gonna have to learn how to deal with this stress, local matches is where you get your start.

Do you enjoy the local matches?  Did you start shooting because it is fun?  Nothing wrong with actually enjoying your hobby...

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Keep going to matches. Treat them as training. Set goals. Forget the score. How about getting off X good shots in 10 or 20 seconds. If it's only 3 or 4 shots, so be it. No need to practice shooting badly fast. That's just an example. Set goals for yourself that are challenging but achievable.

Regarding Perry, don't set score expectations. I can virtually promise your score won't be the lowest there. Probably not the highest either.

One more piece of advice for Perry. Call your credit card company; see if they'll increase your credit limit! What a Face . Hope to see you there.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:44 pm

I don't know if this will help.   

MY first intro into bullseye was shooting in the basement of a school under the pool.    The RO called the commands using a whistle and stop watch.  No one cared what went on.   Targets were hung with clothespin on a cardboard backer.  No forced ventilation.  I had to drive an hour to shoot there.   We only kept our own score.  

There were a  few OLD fellows  that shook and wobbled when they shot.   Must have been in their 80s with bad health.    Both of them had terrible scores.   They probably used to be really good.    I admired them for keeping in the sport even though it seemed like everything was against them.    

I love to shoot a match even if my scores are not up the usual.  I Just being there. Having the health, time and money to shoot is worth a lot to me. 

Every match puts more experience under  your belt.    Notice the older fellows are the good shots.  It does not come fast, it takes time and for me a true love for the sport.   Each match pick something to work on like breathing before the target turns.    Another time work on being able to get off that first shot accurately and quickly in timed and rapid fire.   Work on where your feet are, or making your self comfortable as possible to shoot.   Pick one thing per match.  Your scores will go up. 

A bad day at a match is FAR better than a day at work.  

If you enjoy the sport, keep at it.  If you get frustrated like some golfers I know, then maybe pay golf.   This sport is a personal thing.   Its called a discipline for a reason.  That is what it takes.   

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:50 pm

I think you'll always learn something at a match. Shoot for training or shoot for score. I think there is a lot to be said for putting it on the line in competition.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 pm

YES!

Training is training.  Sounds like you got some kind of plan for that.

Shooting matches is also training for shooting matches. Shooting matches is not training for technique or trying to change something or focusing on some specific area.  When at the match, just shoot and follow your process.  (Make notes on what went well, what didn't seem to go well, alibis, etc.) 

Shooting  matches is also training for flow of the match, getting set up, dryfiring (how many times, etc.) physical and mental preparation, what to eat, what not to eat, bathroom breaks, etc., etc, etc.  When you get off track, what put you back in focus and back on your plan.  Learning to handle being anxious, poor shots, great groups, new high scores, etc.  It Is training.  

That way, when you're standing on the line at Perry and something goes wrong, distracts you, on your way to new personal best, etc.; you will be able to say, been there done that, no big deal, let's shoot (well, that's the plan anyway Smile . )

Keep shooting all the matches you can.  AND, put it all down in the journal.  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 pm

If you don't go to matches you might find the fun in this slipping away too. Training is essential, but if it weren't for the matches and the comaraderie involved with the other shooters, it would start to perhaps not seem worthwhile.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Matches introduce you to better shooters. Better shooters are what turn new shooters into better shooters. It was the catalyst to my rapid climb into mastering BE. They make great friends too!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:25 pm

go to the match, find out what isn't working for you, create a training plan, work the plan

go to another match, find out what isn't working for you, create a training plan, work the plan

go to another match, find out what isn't working for you, create a training plan, work the plan

Kick tail at Perry
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Yes.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Clamps Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Go to Perry.......

Clamps

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 am

John,

Try to be brief!

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Dianar7788 Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

I just want to come back and thank all the input here. I was inspired by all of you and decided to go to a match in a cold & rainy day in a range I had never been. 

I have to say it was very uncomfortable situation and of course the score was terrible. It even went worse than I expected. My gun got malfunction. I had to borrow a gun and shoot iron sights. Lol. But I shot better in the end compared with the beginning. Part of the goal for this match was to see how bad it can be condition wise and how I would handle it. I learned a lot both mentally and physically and now I can say I shot a match in very miserable condition. 

I made a list about things I learned and things I need to do or learn. Overall, I'm happy and proud. I think I can call myself a strong woman now by finishing that match. GOLD STAR FOR ME!

Dianar7788

Back to top Go down

Post by Dianar7788 Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 pm

David R wrote:I don't know if this will help.   

MY first intro into bullseye was shooting in the basement of a school under the pool.    The RO called the commands using a whistle and stop watch.  No one cared what went on.   Targets were hung with clothespin on a cardboard backer.  No forced ventilation.  I had to drive an hour to shoot there.   We only kept our own score.  

There were a  few OLD fellows  that shook and wobbled when they shot.   Must have been in their 80s with bad health.    Both of them had terrible scores.   They probably used to be really good.    I admired them for keeping in the sport even though it seemed like everything was against them.    

I love to shoot a match even if my scores are not up the usual.  I Just being there. Having the health, time and money to shoot is worth a lot to me. 

Every match puts more experience under  your belt.    Notice the older fellows are the good shots.  It does not come fast, it takes time and for me a true love for the sport.   Each match pick something to work on like breathing before the target turns.    Another time work on being able to get off that first shot accurately and quickly in timed and rapid fire.   Work on where your feet are, or making your self comfortable as possible to shoot.   Pick one thing per match.  Your scores will go up. 

A bad day at a match is FAR better than a day at work.  

If you enjoy the sport, keep at it.  If you get frustrated like some golfers I know, then maybe pay golf.   This sport is a personal thing.   Its called a discipline for a reason.  That is what it takes.   

David
Special thank to you, David. Your story was very touchy and inspiring. I like the line "Having the health, time and money to shoot worths a lot to me." Cheers!  I love you

Dianar7788

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Dianar7788 wrote:...
Overall, I'm happy and proud. ...

What more could you ask for?
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 pm

SonOfAGun wrote:
Dianar7788 wrote:...
Overall, I'm happy and proud. ...

What more could you ask for?
+100

addicted yet?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dianar7788 Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Oh yeah. Addicted since my first time on the range. Lol

Sent from Topic'it App

Dianar7788

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:01 am

Congratulations!!!!     "Happy and Proud".  

That's got to be a wonderful feeling.  Should I keep going to the match?  1710857839
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:42 am

Colt711 wrote:John,

Try to be brief!

Ron

I tried! Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:45 am

Dianar7788 wrote:I just want to come back and thank all the input here. I was inspired by all of you and decided to go to a match in a cold & rainy day in a range I had never been. 

I have to say it was very uncomfortable situation and of course the score was terrible. It even went worse than I expected. My gun got malfunction. I had to borrow a gun and shoot iron sights. Lol. But I shot better in the end compared with the beginning. Part of the goal for this match was to see how bad it can be condition wise and how I would handle it. I learned a lot both mentally and physically and now I can say I shot a match in very miserable condition. 

I made a list about things I learned and things I need to do or learn. Overall, I'm happy and proud. I think I can call myself a strong woman now by finishing that match. GOLD STAR FOR ME!

Definitely GOLD STAR FOR YOU.

On those types of days (we all have them), I always tell myself, "Every match gives us an opportunity to work on something. Today, we work on attitude."
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:28 am

john bickar wrote:
Colt711 wrote:John,
Try to be brief!
Ron

I tried! Laughing
In the interest of being positive...Applaud the effort!
R711

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down