Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine

+3
WesG
troystaten
Ljohns
7 posters

Go down

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Empty Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine

Post by Ljohns 3/22/2019, 2:08 pm

I have always been a fan of the 1950's Whitney Wolverine. While they were never meant to be a target pistol I have found them to be pretty accurate anyway.

I contacted Dick Horton to see if he could make a set of target grips for my Whitney Wolverine. He said he didn't have a pistol to use as a pattern but he would give it a try if I could supply one. We got the details worked out and Dick supplied the grips.

I received them yesterday and was quite pleased with how they looked.

I couldn't wait to see how they worked so I took the pistol to the range this morning and tried them out. While I am not a competitive shooter by any means I was pleased with the results.

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Lh_8x111
Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Rh_8x111
Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Target11

Last edited by Ljohns on 3/22/2019, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pictures didn't show up.)
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Empty Re: Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine

Post by troystaten 3/22/2019, 4:56 pm

That is pretty neat, thanks for showing us.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Empty Re: Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine

Post by WesG 3/23/2019, 9:17 pm

That is the best looking pistol I've seen in a long time. Awesome.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Stork 3/23/2019, 10:08 pm

WesG wrote:That is the best looking pistol I've seen in a long time. Awesome.

I was just thinking the same thing! Nothing today has that kind of style.

Stork

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 3/24/2019, 2:31 pm

Now there's something you don't see everyday. Or any day.

Looks great. Shoots well,too.

Where on earth did you get a trigger shoe for it?
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Ljohns 3/24/2019, 7:00 pm

Outthere wrote:Now there's something you don't see everyday. Or any day.

Looks great. Shoots well,too.

Where on earth did you get a trigger shoe for it?
The trigger shoe also fits a Remington rifle, it's a #7 for what that's worth, so they are still pretty readily available. I did modify the contour just a little bit so it fit better. Just some hand file work.

I'd like to see what a good marksman could do with it. Like I said, it wasn't intended to be a target pistol but I think it does pretty well.
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Post by ser2711 3/25/2019, 3:47 am

HI) I have also a  Whitney Wolverine and I would like to had a grip as yours from Dick Horton can you give me his mail address to contact him, thank you in advance,

ser2711

Back to top Go down

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Empty Dick Horton Grips

Post by Ljohns 3/25/2019, 8:26 am

ser2711 wrote:HI) I have also a  Whitney Wolverine and I would like to had a grip as yours from Dick Horton can you give me his mail address to contact him, thank you in advance,
dickhortonmatchgrips@gmail.com

I'm pretty sure Dick monitors and contributes to this Forum
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Post by ser2711 3/26/2019, 2:09 am

Thank you so much)

ser2711

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 5/21/2020, 3:05 pm

A Whitney Wolverine is on the list of handguns I plan to acquire. There was a very nice one on Gunbroker about a month ago. Alas, I got distracted by something, and the auction ended before I placed a bid.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by Ljohns 5/21/2020, 6:10 pm

flyer898 wrote:A Whitney Wolverine is on the list of handguns I plan to acquire. There was a very nice one on Gunbroker about a month ago. Alas, I got distracted by something, and the auction ended before I placed a bid.
I have a pretty good collection of Whitney Wolverines and a few extras I would be willing to sell. They are all really nice, no junk. Just let me know what you want and I can send you pictures and prices.
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Post by Ljohns 5/22/2020, 8:57 am

Ljohns wrote:
flyer898 wrote:A Whitney Wolverine is on the list of handguns I plan to acquire. There was a very nice one on Gunbroker about a month ago. Alas, I got distracted by something, and the auction ended before I placed a bid.
I have a pretty good collection of Whitney Wolverines and a few extras I would be willing to sell. They are all really nice, no junk. Just let me know what you want and I can send you pictures and prices.

Brian,

I sent you an email.
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 6/4/2020, 6:17 am

Loyd,
Thank you. The pistol arrived the other day. Among other things, I am quite pleased with the trigger. I may need to see if Dick Horton can make a set of left-hand grips. I plan to take it to the range later today.
I am looking forward to the arrival of a copy of the book you wrote on the Whitney Wolverine.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by Ljohns 6/4/2020, 8:16 am

flyer898 wrote:Loyd,
Thank you. The pistol arrived the other day. Among other things, I am quite pleased with the trigger. I may need to see if Dick Horton can make a set of left-hand grips. I plan to take it to the range later today.
I am looking forward to the arrival of a copy of the book you wrote on the Whitney Wolverine.

Brian,

I'm sure Dick will work with you on getting the grips you need. I found him to be very accommodating.

I do have a recommendation, though. Ask him to redesign the bottom of the grip so that the magazine is more accessible. The grip I have is about 3/8 inch longer than the bottom of the frame. I'm sure this is designed to provide a better fit for your hand. The way the Whitney magazine lock works, however, makes it very difficult to remove the magazine for reloading. The back of the grip does not really give enough clearance to easily release the magazine lock. The front of the grip doesn't allow very good access to the lip on the magazine so that it can be removed from the pistol. It doesn't just pop out like a 1911.

I resolved these issues by attaching a lanyard to the magazine for easier removal. This is not ideal because it is still difficult to access the magazine lock and it means you have to modify the magazine in some way to attach the lanyard. No big deal but these pistols are pretty rare and you don't want to modify the magazine if you are trying to preserve the value of this collectible pistol.

I would have sent the grip back to Dick to have him modify it but since Dick doesn't have access to a Whitney Wolverine he would need me to send mine back to him to make the modifications. 

Lloyd

Target Grips on a Whitney Wolverine Mag_8x10
Ljohns
Ljohns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down