Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Approved Matches started at my club

+3
Ghillieman
Jack H
scheibenpistole
7 posters

Go down

Getting Approved Matches started at my club Empty Getting Approved Matches started at my club

Post by scheibenpistole Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:31 am

Hello all,

I belong to an NRA affiliated club that has fallen into decline over the better part of two decades.  Once upon a time, we were active enough, and good enough, to send a team to the National Matches at Camp Perry.  (But, that was way long ago!!)  

I have asked about getting things moving again, little has happened, so I'm gonna do it myself. 
On the upside, we do have an emerging BE league, but it is a little "fast and loose" with the strict rules.  They run a confusing handicap system, using a quasi NRA short course, but allow two handed shooting, shooting off the bench for beginners, etc.  Also, they use the B-16 and B-8 target indoors, but at our max distance of about 21.5 yards.
Given this experience of our shooters, I'd like to begin by offering approvd tournaments on our indoor range during weeknight league times. 
I'd really like them to compete on a level that at least gets them earning classification. 

It's been a while, I've gone over my old rule book (1999 edition), and I've been a follower here for some time...
APPROVED TOURNAMENTS:
-If I understand things correctly, could I put together a legitimate Approved match for NRA classification purposes, but not for National record, by offering, say, the 30 shot NRA GALLERY COURSE (at 50 ft. or 20 yds using appropriate targets)?
-If so, could I run two such courses, back to back, one for .22, followed by another for CF?
-Beyond this, could I put together a customized set of courses, say some type of single stage course combined with the NRA Gallery Course?
Example: 10 shot slow fire course, say on the 50 ft. B-2 target, followed by the 50 ft. gallery course?

If this works and we can build a following, I could move things to weekend matches at our outdoor range, and possibly build up to them firing a 900 aggregate.  
Does this sound realistic and/or possible?

Finally, there are a couple shooters interested in Revolver Matches. Are there any options to do this, for classification purposes, without having to offer it as a side match coupled with a much bigger match, like a 2700?

Any suggestions or corrections are welcome.

Thanks,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Getting Approved Matches started at my club Empty Re: Getting Approved Matches started at my club

Post by Jack H Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:53 am

1999 rule book?

Much newer here
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Getting Approved Matches started at my club Empty Re: Getting Approved Matches started at my club

Post by Ghillieman Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:57 am

Hi Jim, you are a brave soul for taking the initiative and starting bullseye pistol matches. I would advise that you download the new rules for NRA Precision Pistol, a quick Google search will find them, and base your matches off that. NRA Approved matches is how you will want to register them, all the paperwork is available online, the NRA fee is $4.50 per shooters score you submit. Honestly, the best way to start off would be a .22 caliber 900 agg, followed by a Centerfire 900 agg. Then ask your shooters after a few months if they want to add the 45 900 agg. Just my thoughts, good luck!
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:16 am

Since you want to start Approved matches so your competitors can get NRA classifications, you will just need to be sure your courses of fire are as follows:

19.4 Matches Used for Individual Classification - Scores to be used for classification and reclassification will be those fired in individual and team matches in both indoor and outdoor NRA Competition as defined in Rule 1.6 (except Postal Matches) over the following courses of fire and under the indicated conditions: 

(a) National Match Course. 
(b) NRA Short Course. 
(c) National Match Gallery Course (50 feet or 20 yards). 
(d) Any component part of these courses when fired as single stage events. 

Scores fired indoors are used to establish indoor classification. 
Scores fired outdoors are used to establish outdoor classification. 

Scores from Sanctioned Leagues may be used during the league firing season in Score Record Books (Rule 19.14), but will only be used by the NRA Headquarters office at the end of the league firing season for issue of Official Classification Cards. 

19.5 Compilation of Scores for Classification Averages - Scores fired in complete matches over the above courses, regardless of the caliber of arm used will be combined and averaged to establish a competitor’s classification.

Since the SR1 sheet you submit will simply be the total shots and scores for each competitor, the components are all combined, but to be fair in generating the classifications, you should keep the ratio of slow fire shots to timed / rapid fire at the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio if you choose option d above. 

When you complete your match program for submission, just make sure you list your courses of fire and you will  probably want to add you are using firing position under Rule 5.5 so no one assumes that rule 24 would be allowed.   Then, if you want, you can add provision for Rule 24 ONE OR TWO HAND PROBATIONARY PRECISION PISTOL MATCH, but with separate reporting, scoring and awards program.  It will add a little paperwork if you do, keeping stats for 2 matches, but will enable you to offer options for your shooters if you wanted to.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:34 am

Hello,

Thank you for the helpful and insightful replies.
Concerning the new rule book, it looks like the biggest changes are those involving the addition of "iron" sights and the distinguished revolver. But, I will have to study the document further.
I am rather confused by the sanctioned league workings and the respective score record book. Perhaps that could be integrated into what is currently being done in the league shoots at the club, barring the issue of the targets and distances they are using?
I'm a bit concerned with how to ease these folks from their informal league into "official" match shooting. Also, I'm perhaps looking ahead to how the couple individuals running the league might be recruited into my plans without disrupting what they're currently doing too much.

Thanks,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 am

recently a software developer created a web app just for the sort of thing you are trying to start. It gives the new match director a more or less "automated" program for creating the match and match bulletin, filing the tournament application to send to NRA, promote the match by linking to the match details, online signup for your competitors, match results spreadsheets and the match report generator for sending the results to NRA

www.precisionshootingmatches.com

I plan on reviving a program at one of our local ranges and I intend to give it a try as well.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Hello,
Thank you for that link.

With this all in mind, here's what I'm considering:
Get our club league shoot approved as an NRA Sanctioned League, and then have the shooters earn a classification via the official record score book.

So, my questions now are:
1) is there a form to submit to become a sanctioned league?
2) how do I get these score books?

Thanks!
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:59 am

You can email bmartin@nrahq.org
she will assist you with the NRA sanctioned league
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:37 am

scheibenpistole wrote:Hello,
Thank you for that link.

With this all in mind, here's what I'm considering:
Get our club league shoot approved as an NRA Sanctioned League, and then have the shooters earn a classification via the official record score book.

So, my questions now are:
1) is there a form to submit to become a sanctioned league?
2) how do I get these score books?

Thanks!
Jim
You can register your league using the following link.  You will need your club's NRA member number.
https://tournaments.nra.org/

Looking at the Program Materials order page, temporary score books seem to be missing as an item you can order.  If they have stopped printing them, your competitors can keep a record of their past scores from the match bulletin and use that until they get a classification card.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Wow,
That link is so helpful. A huge missing piece to the puzzle!

Thank you!
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasShooter Wed May 01, 2019 9:30 am

Don't know why the temp record books aren't on the Program Materials page but they are available. Contact comphelp@nrahq.org and they can tell you how to get them...

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm

I'll look into that, too. Again, very helpful to know.

Thanks!
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for everyone's help. I did get in touch with Beth at NRA. She was super helpful. I put together a full proposal for the club. Made it perfectly clear that I'd be happy to do the work, and that it wouldn't interfere with current activities. It could have been indoors or outdoors.
I also made a similar proposal for a CMP type event, given that the new service pistol list is so accommodating to things a lot of folks already have.

I was basically told "I don't think this would be in the best interest of our members. It would be too discouraging for them."
So, they're going to stick with the shoot the bad guy stuff.
I decided to cancel my membership and leave.

But, I am very grateful for everyone's help here.

scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down