Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols?

Go down

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Empty Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols?

Post by smsnyder on 9/7/2019, 7:28 am

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? What is the most desirable model? Looks like an interesting pistol  Thanks

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Empty Re: Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols?

Post by smsnyder on 9/7/2019, 7:36 am

https://gun-data.com/high_standard_1956_1980.htm

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Empty Re: Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols?

Post by David R on 9/7/2019, 7:40 am

I shoot a Hamden made Victor.  Its the best.

David  Smile
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on 9/7/2019, 9:36 am

I started bullseye shooting with a Ruger MK I with 5 1/2" bull barrel. After that, for years, I shot pre-Houston High Standards. One was a Citation Military and the other a Victor. The older ones, like mine were fine back in the day. The later ones always seemed to have function issues, many linked to magazine issues. I think that there are much better options out there for serious bullseye pistol shooters. If I were in the market for a new .22 pistol today, I'd look elsewhere. I ended up with a Hammerli 208s. It never jammed and the accuracy was great at 50 yards with all kinds of different ammo. Today, I might start out with a S&W model 41 and have the barrel re-lined and get a reliability package done by a competent bullseye pistolsmith. There is also nothing wrong with a Ruger that has been modified with trigger work, etc. It is nearly impossible to find a competent bullseye pistolsmith who works on High Standards. That is including the factory.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 9/7/2019, 10:19 am

I was introduced to Bullseye in 1969 with LTC Millers Citation bull barrel.  Soon I had my own High Standards.  A 106 Trophy Model bull barrel, a 106 fluted barrel Citation, and a slant grip Olympic.  I still have the Trophy along with 12-15 other High Standards.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 on 9/7/2019, 11:00 am

Good luck finding parts. If I'm not mistaken, at this point in time, there is zero support / parts availability for High Standard. The company has gone out of business and reopened so many times it's hard to keep up. In it's prime, it was a top notch pistol, but there are many other choices now that are as good and better.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman on 9/7/2019, 11:18 am

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on 9/7/2019, 1:21 pm

james r chapman wrote:See the recent HS post on the new company.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13088-high-standard-texas-plant?highlight=High+standard
Having been around a long time, I can remember all kinds of things from the old e-mail Bullseye-L about High Standard. In the 90's there were a lot of complaints of no deliveries of the 10X versions, even after people had paid for them. The Houston pistols had a lot of lemons and I personally know of a couple from our club. Back then, people who kept sending their lemons back to Houston High Standard for repair got no satisfaction. Like I previously said, there are plenty of better options out there for serious competitors. The company has been retreaded a few times after the original company "bet the farm" on a government contract and lost. I think the past few decades, the company keeps coming back with the same people at the helm. It's kind of like watching an over the hill boxer who doesn't know when to retire. Sad really.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis on 9/7/2019, 1:50 pm

I have been using an East Hartford built Victor for the last couple of years.  I like mine quite a bit and haven't had too many issue with it malfunctioning.  Proper magazine tuning goes a long way in the reliability factor with these guns but once done, they run like a top.  I also have a Houston made Trophy or Citation.  That gun functions and shoots quite well too.  I have been dedicated to using iron sights for the last 10 years or so and that Houston gun is optic only so I don't really use it that often but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it in a match.  Good luck if you decide to try one out.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 9/7/2019, 2:27 pm

I like everything about my 106. I had the magazines tuned by a pro (cheap) and it has run flawless for years now. It is my number 1 go to pistol for a .22. It is really hard to find a better trigger then the older HS straight from the box. Mine has been tinkered with a lot. It didn't come from the factory as a Victor.

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Dscf0315
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 on 9/7/2019, 3:36 pm

The Victor may not be the best 22lr Bullseye pistol these days, but it still holds it own.  I've shot mine for over 30yrs. and have never had any issues (I had a local retired Marine Pistol Shooting Team Gunsmith do his magic when I first bought it).  I'd say FWB, Hammerli 208s, Pardini's are in a league of their own, but comes with a high price tag to boot.   Hamden Victor's can be picked up for $600-900 and are good value for the money.  I've shot the S&W 41 and to me it just didn't hold up to the Victor's sweet trigger and balance.  Just my opinion.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder on 9/7/2019, 4:29 pm

I noticed some high standard victor pistols have a button in front to take apart the pistol and some don't? Which model is more desirable?

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on 9/7/2019, 5:23 pm

Clark Custom Supermatic 106 High Standard.  Bee’s knees. I shoot it better than any other pistol or than a 1911 conversion with a dot. With irons, its my best performer. Thanks to the benevolence of another forum member I was able to test a variety of great 22s and did markedly better with this one. I have a set of Heretts waiting for me when I get back from deployment #2.

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? E940382-F-4733-44-E2-927-F-8-D56-DDAAEF4-B

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 9/7/2019, 10:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 9/7/2019, 6:26 pm

smsnyder wrote:I noticed some high standard victor pistols have a button in front to take apart the pistol and some don't? Which model is more desirable?

During the end days of the Connecticut High Standard company, some pistols were assembled using an Allen Cap screw instead of the stud and push button retainer. Both pistols will shoot well but you lose the ease of disassembly and the interchangeability inherent in the push button design.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 on 9/7/2019, 7:55 pm

smsnyder wrote:I noticed some high standard victor pistols have a button in front to take apart the pistol and some don't? Which model is more desirable?

The push button models are more desirable. The ones with the socket head cap screw, that depends on when they were made. The first year the socket head screw was used, they were still great pistols, I had one. Towards the end, not so much. So I've been told, the pistols with a "V" suffix in the serial number are hit and miss on quality, and most people avoid them.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG on 9/7/2019, 9:03 pm

103, Olympic RF, 22 short. I just play with it a bit. JB was kind enough to set me up with a couple brands of ammo to try for function. That went fairly well today. Shot the x ring out of a B6.

At 15 yds... maybe ... where everybody else was lined up.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye58 on 9/13/2019, 12:47 pm

I just started shooting an indoor league with a HS Supermatic Citation Military 107. I shoot iron sights and I love this pistol. It was gifted to me years ago, and I hesitated to shoot it b/c it was new when given to me. I am glad I saved it from its life in my safe.
Bullseye58
Bullseye58

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 9/13/2019, 2:48 pm

LenV wrote:I like everything about my 106. I had the magazines tuned by a pro (cheap) and it has run flawless for years now. It is my number 1 go to pistol for a .22. It is really hard to find a better trigger then the older HS straight from the box. Mine has been tinkered with a lot. It didn't come from the factory as a Victor.

Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Dscf0315

Len's HS here used to be mine.  I got it used several years ago and planned to have Lou Lombardi make an aluminum barrel for it and use a real BoMar sight rib.  That never happened as Lou relocated and semi retired. 
I then had Roddy help fit the BoMar rib to the Victor barrel.  I worked over the gun.  Cut down the Trophy slide like a Victor.  Cleaned up the trigger.  And plugged the sight bridge holes.  I didn't shoot it much.  After a few years, consigned it, and along came Len.  As I recall the Victor barrel here is very good.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 9/13/2019, 11:47 pm

Yep, shoots pretty nice. The first target didn't count. But looks neat. The second target did count. Fired at Jacks home course.
Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? Dscf1016
Any you guys shoot High Standard Pistols? High_s11
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum