Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees

2 posters

Go down

Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees Empty Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees

Post by brassmaster 1/2/2020, 12:12 pm

I received this NRA email today which resulted in a face-plant. Many of the members & posters on here hold NRA Credentials, from RSO to Certified Pistol/Rifle instructors for civilians & police. Many club ranges require certifications in order to serve as RSOs or provide instruction that can lead to certifications and licensing. Our club's liability policy provides an additional $100k of coverage to NRA certified RSOs & Instructors if those duties are carried out on our range.
The email begins, "...NRA Education and Training has been improving the quality in our training materials and slashing the prices of our student packets over the past year..." The however is that we are going to increase the credential fees 7-fold, but lower the student's course cost. This raises questions for me such as: 1) why were credential holders not asked for their input prior to implementation of fee increases? 2) obviously, credential holders opinions or suggestions were not solicited, so why weren't the raise in fees shared equally between instructors and students instead of lowering the student fees and placing the full burden of the increase on credential holders?
To summarize, can I afford the new fees at renewal time? Yes, but I'm not sure I want to because this appears to me as more of a money grab rather than a legitimate increase in cost of service to the NRA and credentials may have looked like an untapped cash cow. Regularly on this forum members express their mounting frustration at the Tin Ear of the NRA, whether it's receipt of clubs' regional & sectional awards that are now lagging into another shooting season, with no logical explanation of why from the NRA; yet the increased entry fees per shooter are garnered upfront. This along with mirad of other unaddressed questions and issues certainly raises suspicion of NRA's commitment to the competitive shooting sports. I suspect that fees associated with competitive shooting and now credentials, are being comingled with funds and divisions. God help those (Precision Pistol Competitors) that are on the lower end of NRA Match participation numbers.

NRA Education and Training has been improving the quality in our training materials and slashing the prices of our student packets over the past year. We have also begun creating living lesson plans in the form of PowerPoints that have replaced the old paper lesson plans instructors were required to purchase. They are free, and you can download them right from your NRA Instructors page.

However, one area that has been stagnant over the past several years is our credentialing fee. The last time we changed it was a decrease for most of our trainers. We are keeping the flat rate, but the time has come to raise it just a little ($5 for two years for members, and $10 for two years for non-members). This slight bump will help us continue to improve student and instructor materials.

As we enter 2020, trainer credentialing fees will change to $35 for a two-year term, and additional ratings can be added at $15 per rating for NRA members. Non-members will pay $60 for a two-year term, and additional ratings can be added at $30 per rating.

We look forward to another year and your continued support as we work diligently to improve our training materials. Thank you for all you do as NRA Instructors!

Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees Footer

Last edited by brassmaster on 1/2/2020, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification: credentail fees for Instructors only were raised to $35, others were raised $5.)
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees Empty Re: Nice Way To Begin 2020 With a Boost In NRA Credential Fees

Post by r.tornello 1/7/2020, 9:06 pm

I see the same sort of thing in HR Certification. It's mostly useless and a moneymaker for the organizations. I just said screw it. I can find a company that needs a recruiter that doesn't need a piece of paper to prove anything. That said, the certs for our sport are important but the fee game is just that. Time to find another sponsor.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down