Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bomar / Kensight Blade replacement

3 posters

Go down

Bomar / Kensight Blade replacement Empty Bomar / Kensight Blade replacement

Post by John Dervis 2/1/2020, 10:10 am

I have a couple questions on replacing a blade on these rear sights.

What type of tool is needed to hold the outer ring while turning the screw. I have a couple of bits that came in a security bit set that would appear to be of the correct shape to work but are too big for nut in the sight.  What would this tool or bit be called and where can I get one?

Would the Kensight blades work on an original Bomar sight?  If so, does anyone have the part number for the blade itself? (Or even if the blade is available as a stand alone item). I emailed Kensight a while back but never got an answer but I'd still like to know.

Thanks in advance.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Bomar / Kensight Blade replacement Empty Re: Bomar / Kensight Blade replacement

Post by Sa-tevp 2/1/2020, 11:49 am

John Dervis wrote:I have a couple questions on replacing a blade on these rear sights.

What type of tool is needed to hold the outer ring while turning the screw. I have a couple of bits that came in a security bit set that would appear to be of the correct shape to work but are too big for nut in the sight.  What would this tool or bit be called and where can I get one?

Would the Kensight blades work on an original Bomar sight?  If so, does anyone have the part number for the blade itself? (Or even if the blade is available as a stand alone item). I emailed Kensight a while back but never got an answer but I'd still like to know.

Thanks in advance.

John

I have done this type of surgery a few times after I hogged out notches too much, so here are a few notes.

I took a long straight blade Apex bit and, using a cut off wheel chucked into a Dremel, cut out a middle notch in the bit to fit the nut. I think someone sells specific bits somewhere, maybe Brownells, maybe for Smith & Wesson revolver sights.

I have used Kensights to replace Bomar but be aware Kensight related to me in correspondence that they didn't sell parts so I had to buy whole sights. They may have a different reply to different inquiries.

Stephen
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/1/2020, 8:54 pm

Thanks for your help.  I'll see if I can locate some of the ready made bits.  Otherwise I could modify this bit I have but this simple project is turning into a pain.

I have a feeling you are right about Kensight and small parts.  They haven't given me an answer at all so you are a step ahead of me on that.  I did buy a complete sight which I intended on swapping out with the Kensight installed on my marvel rib but the sight bodies are different.  It doesn't exactly match a Bomar or a US tactical sight either so I will need to fit the new sight and drill a hole for the adjustment screw too which is why I thought of changing the blade itself.   If it's easy enough to get the blade changed, I might tackle changing an old Bomar that has a chipped blade but I'm not going to make a habit of buying complete sights so I'll be done after that.

Thanks again for your tips.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 2/2/2020, 7:32 am

JOHN, BROWNELLS MAKES A BIT FOR THE ASSEMBLY OF THE S&W REAR SIGHT. THAT'S WHAT I'VE USED. JP

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/sight-tools/s-w-rear-sight-spanner-2-per-pak--sku080431000-25408-2058.aspx

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/2/2020, 9:14 pm

Thanks for that link Jim.  I will give that a try.

Take care.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down