Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a BE range

+15
Allen Barnett
jmdavis
Slartybartfast
chopper
Wes Lorenz
brassmaster
SteveT
chiz1180
Danehogle
10sandxs
james r chapman
CR10X
john bickar
Wobbley
xman
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Building a BE range Empty Building a BE range

Post by xman 2/11/2020, 8:02 pm

Just taking an informal poll . If you were to build a BE range in a hot section of the country what would you focus on first ? If you already have berms and target stands at 25 and 50 yard but want to add turning targets at 25 yard would you focus on the 25 yard turning targets first or build an overhead and benches for the shooters to keep them out of the hot hot sun.Personally I would rather build an overhead and benches to build up a following and then in a year or two focus on the turning targets at 25 yards,
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Building a BE range Empty Re: Building a BE range

Post by Wobbley 2/11/2020, 8:22 pm

In a hot section like Arizona, build Shade....

In a hot section like Alabama or East Texas build turning targets and use pop up shades.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/11/2020, 10:02 pm

Building a BE range Both
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/12/2020, 6:22 am

Well, by the time the turning system is designed, priced, ordered, manufactured or built and then you actually put it together, it will take some time (and $'s).  There are lots of ways to do this from very expensive pre-built packages, to simple frame, pipe and air cylinder set ups.  In addition, you will need to spec or procure the controller.  We use this one, http://www.targettimers.com/target_controller.html 
Recommend the variable delay, since its generally programmed for ISSF timing (turn to turn) rather than NRA (face to turn).  I'm sure there are others and I built a non-voice command backup with a few door switch timers off the internet.  

Range covers and benches don't take that long (we build stuff like that over a 2 or 3 weekends) but do need good material list, delivery, etc.

So, I'd suggest get started on the range cover.  Everyone will see the progress and you might get more participation (shooting and building).  AND get started designing and finding out what you want and how to build your 25 yard system. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/12/2020, 6:30 am

I have a suggestion!
Ask the NRA for a copy of their Range Planning and Construction guide for the new Atterbury ranges!
Should have all the details you seek!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 2/12/2020, 6:48 am

james r chapman wrote:I have a suggestion!
Ask the NRA for a copy of their Range Planning and Construction guide for the new Atterbury ranges!
Should have all the details you seek!
Wow, that was savage... but true none the less...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle 2/12/2020, 7:45 am

Hahahah you guys crack me up. 
Range plans and construction guides for Atterbury.  Laughing Laughing
Meanwhile.  At Cardinal....Building a BE range 20423910
Building a BE range 1da5c010
Building a BE range A270ac10
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/12/2020, 7:58 am

On second thought Wink
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 2/12/2020, 8:49 am

What do you want to do with the range? Run matches, leagues, or just practice? Ideally both cover and turning targets are present. Regardless of cover or turning targets in my opinion good benches are a high priority. Another thing to think about is handicap accessibility.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/12/2020, 10:52 am

Wobbley wrote:In a hot section like Arizona, build Shade....

In a hot section like Alabama or East Texas build turning targets and use pop up shades.
+1
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 2/12/2020, 12:41 pm

I don’t specifically recall but is there a NRACMP requirement on how high the benches must be .
I am over 6 feet tall and if the benches are too low I can’t he use my spotting scope for 50 yards to confirm my call
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/12/2020, 1:29 pm

There is no rule about bench height. There is also no rule about target height.
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 2/12/2020, 2:34 pm

xman wrote: Just taking an informal poll . If you were to build a BE range in a hot section of the country what would you focus on first ?   If you already have berms and target stands at 25 and 50 yard but want to add turning targets at 25 yard would you focus on the 25 yard turning targets first or build an overhead and benches for the shooters  to keep them out of the hot hot sun.Personally I would rather build an overhead and benches to build up a following and then in a year or two focus on the turning targets at 25 yards,
Effective 01-01-2020, CMP Rules were changed that require turning targets at 25 yds. for sanctioned EIC Matches. Might be a consideration if you plan to hold EIC Matches.
CMP 2020 Rule Book: 3.7.3 Target Line
"Targets may be turning or fixed, except that National Trophy, National Championship and EIC Matches events must be fired on turning targets."
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 2/12/2020, 8:31 pm

xman wrote: Just taking an informal poll . If you were to build a BE range in a hot section of the country what would you focus on first ?   If you already have berms and target stands at 25 and 50 yard but want to add turning targets at 25 yard would you focus on the 25 yard turning targets first or build an overhead and benches for the shooters  to keep them out of the hot hot sun.Personally I would rather build an overhead and benches to build up a following and then in a year or two focus on the turning targets at 25 yards,
I belong to 2 ranges in Washington having the set-ups you are asking about - except the cover is to keep us out of the never ending rain.
Is your range open to the public? If it is put dividers between each shooting position on the bench and protect the entire turning target mechanism due to ricochet's and very poor marksmanship. Don't build a cover over the 25 yard line for the very same reasons as the roof will "let the sunshine in" to quote a song.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/12/2020, 8:39 pm

SteveT wrote:There is no rule about bench height. There is also no rule about target height.
There is for ISU.  The target height is 55 inches or so.  As for bench height, that would be somewhere about as high as a kitchen counter so 32 to 36 inches maybe? But here ISU rules on “low ready” may dictate a lower bench height?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 2/12/2020, 9:10 pm

NRA does sell a book or dvd on range building, there's a lot of good info and suggestions for outdoor and indoor ranges. I understand that they did help out financially in the past. 
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/13/2020, 9:22 am

chopper wrote:NRA does sell a book or dvd on range building, there's a lot of good info and suggestions for outdoor and indoor ranges. I understand that they did help out financially in the past. 
 Stan
This is an older version
https://airgunwarriors.com/resources/library/NRA_Range_Building_Source_Book_2004.pdf
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/13/2020, 11:51 am

Wobbley wrote:
SteveT wrote:There is no rule about bench height. There is also no rule about target height.
There is for ISU.  The target height is 55 inches or so.  As for bench height, that would be somewhere about as high as a kitchen counter so 32 to 36 inches maybe? But here ISU rules on “low ready” may dictate a lower bench height?

ISSF?

"6.4.6.1 Height of Target Centers
Target centers must be within the following heights when measured from the level of the firing point floor:
Range Standard Height Variation Allowable
300m 3.00 m ±4.00 m
50m 0.75 m ±0.50 m
25m 1.40 m 0.10 m -0.20 m
10 m 1.40 m ±0.05 m
50m Running Target 1.40 m ±0.20 m
10m Running Target 1.40 m ±0.05 m
All target centers within a group of targets or range must have the same height (±1 cm)."

6.4.11.10 Each firing point must be provided with the following equipment:
a) A removable or adjustable bench or table, approximately 0.50 m x 0.60 m in/size and 0.70 m to 1.00 m high;
b) In Qualification competitions, athletes may place items or support stands on a table to increase the table to a maximum height of 1.00 m;
c) In Finals competitions, pistol athletes may place an adjustable support stand (8.6.3) on the table provided the total table height with stand does not exceed 1.0 m; and
d) A chair or stool for the athlete on Qualification ranges; no chairs or stools for athletes may be placed on or near the firing points on Finals ranges;

Never ceases to astound me how basic the CMP and NRA rulebooks are.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/13/2020, 11:57 am

https://www.usashooting.org/library/Youth_Development/HS_and_College_Programs/Olympic_Indoor_Sports_Shooting_Facility_Planning_Guide.pdf

https://www.usashooting.org/library/Youth_Development/HS_and_College_Programs/Outdoor_Olympic_Sports_Shooting_Facility_Planning_Guide.pdf

Another example of wasted potential, every regulating body should have plans for minimally compliant facilities available for download.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/13/2020, 11:58 am

General range design from a Canadian perspective:
http://pistolsmith.ca/wp-content/uploads/RangeDesignConstructionGuidelines.pdf
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/13/2020, 3:19 pm

brassmaster wrote:Effective 01-01-2020, CMP Rules were changed that require turning targets at 25 yds. for sanctioned EIC Matches. Might be a consideration if you plan to hold EIC Matches.
CMP 2020 Rule Book: 3.7.3 Target Line
"Targets may be turning or fixed, except that National Trophy, National Championship and EIC Matches events must be fired on turning targets."

I wonder what they plan to do to make the targets at Talledega turn?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/13/2020, 4:28 pm

BTW, range 5-1 at Camp Eathan Allen Training Site in Vermont would be a wonderful template on which to base a bullseye range.

Maybe someone at the VSRPA could give details.

Covered firing points and target turners at 25 and 50.

https://goo.gl/maps/hDrDcpTZ7SDg25FAA
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 2/13/2020, 5:27 pm

Such a shame I know where there is a complete 15 point turning target system that is just rusting away.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 2/13/2020, 5:34 pm

Allen PM me with the location of it is rusting away turning target system
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 2/13/2020, 5:50 pm

If anyone's interested, we built an air powered 25 yard 10 point system (actually, two banks of ten) at Long Lake Fish & Game Club and posted the details on line at:

Long Lake 25 Yard Turning Targets Project

We run the Long Lake Black Bear Annual Pistol Championship in the middle of August each year with this system.

In a later project, we covered one bank with a permanent structure, but due to our trap ranges using some of the same down range space, the second bank is covered by temporary canopies for the match.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next