Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you?

+5
bruce martindale
willnewton
mikemyers
Jack H
LenV
9 posters

Go down

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Empty Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you?

Post by LenV 2/20/2020, 1:07 am

While searching for the new "next" dot I made an interesting observation. Sometimes you really are just paying for the name. I wonder where these 4 are made? I'm certain of 3 of them. All of them on Amazon

19.99 Ohhunt
Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Ohhunt10

27.99 Edenberg
Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Edenbe10

49.99 Xgazer
Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Xgazer10

89.99 Primary Arms
Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Primar10
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Empty Re: Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you?

Post by Jack H 2/20/2020, 1:51 am

Len, you need a Laseraim red dot with a pulse unit attached.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Empty Re: Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you?

Post by mikemyers 2/20/2020, 8:14 am

Thanks to Mr. Snyder's posts a while back, I've gotten concerned about brightness.  I've got several of these "inexpensive" sights, one of which even has a nice name on it, but it's pretty useless in bright sunlight as I can't see the dot.  In my case, I don't need a whole range of brightness levels that work in bright sunlight, but I when I can't see the dot at all unless it's in front of something really dark, it's not much use to me for shooting outdoors.

I'm not sure about the "name" either; Matchdot and Ultradot are good names, but Jon had one of their sights fall apart on him at a match where he was about to win a 1911.  I keep meaning to ask him if it was on a Kodiak mount, as the standard Aimpoint mount isn't adequate.  But as I understand it, the sight failed, not the mount.

My own Aimpoint H-2 was working perfectly, until it wasn't.  It would have been frustrating if this happened at a match.  The red dot would vanish, for no reason.  I replaced the battery, no change.  I tightened the cap more, no change.  It might stay "on" for one shot, then it turned off.  With lots of time, I started playing around with it, and found that when it was not working, just adding a little finger pressure to the battery (with the cap removed) got it to work.  Releasing the pressure caused it to stop working.

My practical solution was to go home, and replace it with a heavier Matchdot II, which got me up and running.  I guess that Matchdot II should now stay in my shooting bag, "just in case".  

Anyway, back to the story, I found there is a small o-ring inside the cap that applies pressure to the battery, pushing it in.  Thinking the o-ring might have expired, I cut a roundish piece of paper, and put it inside the cap, like a shim.  Fixed.

Meanwhile, "Big Tex Outdoors" is sending me a new cap, which I'm sure will fix the problem properly, at least for the next three years or so until it has the same problem.  I told them they could just send me a new o-ring, but the part is already in the mail.

Anyone with an Aimpoint Micro might want to order an extra cap or o-ring, "just in case".

Big names....   Since the Aimpoint Micro is perfect for Bullseye (but for the price maybe), I keep thinking that's what I should standardize on, but I am *so* tempted to try the Aimpoint ACRO P-1 even though people here didn't think it would work out very well.  I wrote to Big Tex Outdoors, and Ike told me I could buy it, try it, and if I don't like it, I can return it.  Part of me wants to do that, but another part of me wants to stick with what I already know and like.  There is a nice instructional video on Big Tex Outdoors - if you watch that video, you get a 10% discount on what you buy.

Len, when you find one of these inexpensive sights that you approve of, please let us know.  Spending $50 is a lot easier than spending $500.  !!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 2/20/2020, 12:35 pm

Jack H wrote:Len, you need a Laseraim red dot with a pulse unit attached.

I think I have one in the garage, Laseraim Illusion scope.  That pulse thing it does is just... wierd.

This is not my pistol, just a pic from the internet.  My scope does look like that though.  It is supposed to be a decent scope, very much like an Ultradot.  Seems like I read it may have been an UD predecessor.  

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? 0bab1810
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/20/2020, 1:14 pm

I tried searching for laser aim sights, and somehow found this....
I think it would look just peachy on my High Standard!!
It's a new "Belomo Russion PK-AS Red/Black Dual Scope"
I think my network search got confused........
.....but Len, you probably don't have one yet!

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? S-l1600
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/20/2020, 1:39 pm

Sometimes the quality level of parts is what Distinguishes the various products. Stuff that's slightly off, or leftover from runs etc.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/20/2020, 1:43 pm

I am also a little short on AK platforms to mount it on. No AR platforms either. I did have a pulse green dot on my Sig .380. The green X flashes on the target and easy to see at 25yds in daylight. Batteries don't last long.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/20/2020, 6:21 pm

Well, I ordered the Aimpoint ACRO P-1 this afternoon.  I know there are lots of questions about how good it may or may not be for Bullseye.  I'm very intrigued by it.  (They told me if I'm not happy with it, I can return it.)

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? G2F4fkPK5WJjdvSLOdK5LewNXB2MTH10URTRqqQiuQAAxzjoeZII1od37UjawPHlSU-HCd_b7Sa1L1_QDXerZZwy63NJqUOYYAl5f_4abzXOU95IVzESttn0SyWR_V1IdEOW20p_th7f
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 2/20/2020, 7:54 pm

Its ugly. Looks like it belongs on top of a P90 or CZ skorpion.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/20/2020, 7:57 pm

Actually, I think in the photo, the sight looks fine, but the gun looks ugly!

Another photo:

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ95epQPK71lmm6Iz_Y-ihuXp-3HcFxrfQhUQZBfe3ZPM0MXB3H
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 2/20/2020, 10:09 pm

I put a Primary Arms dot on my 1911 pistol, and have about 500 shots on it so far.  Slide mounted.  Seems to be working o.k.

It's cheap enough, I will probably buy another to have as a spare if this one breaks.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 2/21/2020, 3:52 am

Hi Mike:

I am very interested I how you like that aimpoint.  I just went through a substantial red dot evaluation because the red dot that I see is turning into a galaxy, a globular cluster, Saturn, or the cow jumping over the moon.  

While I have been using tube style sights since the original aimpoint came out way back when, I re discovered that my C-More railway has the most beautiful pure dot I have ever seen.  

Tried the railway on the pardini but while it fit the rails very well, I did not like it with the dot being so far above the bore and the zeroing adjustments are not good enough for bullseye on that red dot.  

Ended up with the Trijicon SRO, 5 MOA dot. Been shooting with it for about a month and so far I am really happy with it, so happy that I am thinking of cutting loose the Aimpoint H1 4 MOA dot with Kodiak mount.  

Anyways, Looking forward to your evaluation on that scope. 

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/21/2020, 6:58 am

Sure, will do.  They tell me it should arrive byMonday.

Having watched all the videos about the ACRO, I got more and more intrigued about it, but I've never found feedback from other people shooting Bullseye.  I know it has potential problems - without tubes over the ends, dirt or oil or water, or whatever can get on the glass ends, but those are special glass ends that can be wiped off without damage to the "glass".  Also, the places where I might have wanted to buy one from, are always sold out.  

If you want one, contact "Big Tex Outdoors", watch their red dot sight video, and they give you a promotion code good for a 10% discount on any Aimpoint sight.  

I hope to post more information here, probably in this topic:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t12658-new-aimpoint-acro-p-1-red-dot-sight
You'll also get to read many reasons why people here feel it might not be a good choice.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 2/21/2020, 11:13 am

THE C More Railway is super easy to pick up the red dot. It has a large window. It is also super bright if you need it for outdoors. Of all the red dots I owned the C More is awesome.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder 2/21/2020, 11:15 am

Red Dots. You get what you pay for. Don't you? 20200216

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down