Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolver Smith recommendation

+12
Outthere
JIMPGOV
robert84010
Allgoodhits
chopper
Wobbley
Robuc
Sa-tevp
CR10X
Steve B
james r chapman
Vinkemulder
16 posters

Go down

Revolver Smith recommendation Empty Revolver Smith recommendation

Post by Vinkemulder Thu May 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I am looking for a Revolver Smith to re barrel and accurize my Smith and Wesson.   Looking to make a DR gun

Thanks,

Jason
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Revolver Smith recommendation Empty Re: Revolver Smith recommendation

Post by james r chapman Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Joe Leinenger, mojo guns
248-459-2922
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Vinkemulder wrote:I am looking for a Revolver Smith to re barrel and accurize my Smith and Wesson.   Looking to make a DR gun

Thanks,

Jason
If you find a smith that can duplicate the factory barrel profile but cut from a match 10 or 12 twist then please share.
I've talked to all of the top revolver smiths that have a reputation for accuracy, haven't found one yet.  It would need to match the profile and have the same lettering so as not to be noticed and disqualified from the DR matches.  Not that I would personally cheat... LOL

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Just for Reference. Interpret as you will, it's your conscience. For Centerfire, there are less restrictions. 

3.3 Distinguished Revolver - The revolver must be capable of chambering and firing a 158-grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter
.38 Special cartridge. It must be a factory manufactured revolver with no external modifications except for stocks which may be
modified or changed because of the size of the competitor’s hand or to facilitate loading. Except for stocks and the honing of the sear
or sear notch to make a more crisp trigger, and maintain a 2 1/2 lb. minimum trigger pull, no external or internal modification may be
made to the revolver as manufactured and sold by the factory of origin. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or
internally, nor may any part be added, with the exception of milling the cylinder to accommodate moon clips. Specifically prohibited is
any system of recoil control based upon compensators, barrel venting, barrel porting or weighted grips. Exposed holes that have been
drilled and tapped for mounting of a scope are not considered to be an external modification. 

(a) Trigger- Must have single and double action capability and must be capable of lifting 2 1/2 lbs when the revolver is cocked for single action firing. Triggers will be weighed. Any trigger, sold by the manufacturer of the revolver, without modification, may be used.

(b) Sights- Fixed or adjustable rear sights may be used. An Adjustable front sight is not allowed.

(c) Barrel- Length not to exceed six and one- half inches. (6 1/2”)

(d) Stocks- Except as set forth above, the right and left stocks must be mirror images of each other.

(e) Ammunition- Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only.

(f) The following are not allowed. Trigger shoes, compensators of type or design; any external trigger stop device; any
internal trigger stop not originally installed by the factory as original equipment in stock revolvers of the same make
and model; tape on the stocks or stocks flared at the base. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I know we've had this disagreement before, but most believe replacing factory parts with factory parts normally available on the model used is acceptable.
I've never heard otherwise from NRA or CMP
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Steve B wrote:
Vinkemulder wrote:I am looking for a Revolver Smith to re barrel and accurize my Smith and Wesson.   Looking to make a DR gun

Thanks,

Jason
If you find a smith that can duplicate the factory barrel profile but cut from a match 10 or 12 twist then please share.
I've talked to all of the top revolver smiths that have a reputation for accuracy, haven't found one yet.  It would need to match the profile and have the same lettering so as not to be noticed and disqualified from the DR matches.  Not that I would personally cheat... LOL

Yah know, the later S&W revolvers were looked down on due to changes in manufacturing techniques to suck nickels out of the process, but there may be a silver lining if you can overlook the hammer lock, MIM parts and such: some K frames had sleeved barrels.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Robuc Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Thanks,

Jason
I too have been considering a gunsmith for my 14-3 DR gun.  Please let us know if you contact Joe and what you learn.  
Thank you.

Robuc

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinkemulder Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 pm

It's not my intention to circumvent the rules.  My Smith and Wesson needs a new barrel and I don't want just anyone to do it.   After reading CR10x's post, it is now clear some things are allowed many are not.  I am hopeful, I can find a smith that will work within the DR rules.
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu May 21, 2020 9:11 pm

If you want to play with barrel configurations to enhance accuracy, take a look at the Dan Wesson revolvers. The barrels on these are easily replaceable and any gunsmith worth his lathe should be able to machine one with ease.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Wobbley wrote:If you want to play with barrel configurations to enhance accuracy, take a look at the Dan Wesson revolvers.  The barrels on these are easily replaceable and any gunsmith worth his lathe should be able to machine one with ease.

Never thought of that... Thanks.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 pm

I didn't know you could modify the left side to facilitate reloading moons or a speed loader. You don't have to modify the right side to make it a mirror image do you? 
 Can you have finger grooves on the front of the grips also.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 am

I would add to the Mojo shop, Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works in Springfield, VA to the list of best Revo gunsmith's on the planet. Another old school revo smith is Rich Fried in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am

When I asked Jerry Keefer for a recommendation he said: "Mark Hartshorne in PA"

http://www.pinnaclehighperformance.com/

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 pm

robert84010 wrote:When I asked Jerry Keefer for a recommendation he said: "Mark Hartshorne in PA"

I AGREE. CAN'T BE BEAT. EXCELLENT WORK. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Sat May 23, 2020 8:24 am

JIMPGOV wrote:
robert84010 wrote:When I asked Jerry Keefer for a recommendation he said: "Mark Hartshorne in PA"

I AGREE. CAN'T BE BEAT. EXCELLENT WORK. JP
See above.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Just to play the other hand...why do you think the bbl needs to be changed? Is it bulged? Those may still shoot well. Is it leaded and behaving badly? Use Kroil on a tight patch to clean it well. Forcing cone choke? Have it Taylor throated. 

Good luck

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

I have a Model 14-2 that had a wide gap between barrel and cylinder that Joe Leininger was able to set back one turn and make it a target pistol again.

Joe specializes in PPC guns using S&W frames. Many of the Michigan PPC shooters are using his guns.

Mine.
Revolver Smith recommendation Mymojo12
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I would recommend Clark Custom in Louisiana. Their shop is famous and they deserve the reputation. Jimmy Clark built my first Hard Ball Pistol when I was too young to buy a pistol(my Dad bought it)in 1960. His son Jim ran the place until he died a few years ago at a young age. Now, I guess that Logan heads the gunsmithing effort. Their work that I have seen over the years at Camp Perry is VERY consistent !!!- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 am

I'm not sure sure what your issue is but speaking from experience I got my DR with a stock 14-3 police trade in and a 14-1 that KC tuned up. No need to overthink this.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Sun May 24, 2020 11:34 am

bruce martindale wrote:Just to play the other hand...why do you think the bbl needs to be changed? Is it bulged? Those may still shoot well. Is it leaded and behaving badly? Use Kroil on a tight patch to clean it well. Forcing cone choke? Have it Taylor throated. 

Good luck

Do you know any gunsmiths still offering this service?

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Taylor throating? Not specifically as the tooling was specialized and proprietary. Clymer made some but don’t anymore...

Most seem to recut now to 11 degrees which is what was on the python. The standard for S&W is 18 degrees and if rough can adversely affect accuracy.

Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun May 24, 2020 1:03 pm

taylor throating was also somewhat controversial as it applied to DR guns.
S&W never offered taylor throating even in its competition shop.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wingnut170 Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 pm

james r chapman wrote:Joe Leinenger, mojo guns
248-459-2922
++1

wingnut170

Back to top Go down