Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity

+3
Wobbley
Dcforman
Tim:H11
7 posters

Go down

Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity Empty Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity

Post by Tim:H11 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 am

I'm just curious.. how fast is your Distinguished Revolver ammunition going? I see a lot of factory ammo in the 750 fps range and some of the loads people recommend are also in that neighborhood. I've found for my bullet that I cast, and in my gun, this doesn't work. Not with any of the powders I've tried so far. Results are usable, maybe they hold 10 ring sort of.. but not the groups I desire. Now I see great results when I drop the velocity down to around 600 fps. I know.. its stupid slow. But it works. So I'm curious.. how fast (or slow) is your 38 Special Distinguished Revolver ammunition?

Back to top Go down

Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity Empty Re: Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity

Post by Dcforman Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Jason, what revolver are you shooting this load out of? Can I guess it's a Colt?

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity Empty Re: Distinguished Revolver Ammunition Velocity

Post by Tim:H11 Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Dcforman wrote:Jason, what revolver are you shooting this load out of? Can I guess it's a Colt?

Dave

S&W Model 14-3.

I do have a Colt Officers Model Match but it doesn’t shoot worth a darn right now. It’s going to need a go over by a professional mechanic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Well, then. I was thinking barrel twist might have something to do with it. I don't have anything else to contribute here, but I would ask if you've chrono'd factory ammo to see if maybe your chronograph was off.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:42 pm

What ever works.  I once had a rifle load that was stupid slow, as you out it, but it hammered the ten ring at 600.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 pm

I tested 158gr Coated SWC cast by my friend and three model 14 revolvers, two full lag 14-5 and one 14-4.  Prior to testing of my own load, all cylinders were tested individually with 10 rounds of Magtech 158gr LSWC to identify best two cylinders in each pistol.  My loads were tested then with 10 rounds in the best cylinder.
Average speed results are: 657 & 663 fps in 14-5s and 667fps in 14-4.  Range of velocities recorder over all three pistols was from 708 to 635 fps.  All three pistols have 6" factory barrels, and 100% DR compliant.

Tested load 158 Coated SWC as cast on top of 3.00 gr WSP, 1.45" OAL, 0.375" crimp.  Testing in Ransom Rest, with 9/10 in 10 ring, 5/10 in X at 50Y.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkja Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Any luck with Jacketed 158gr bullets with these loads?

Hawkja

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Hawkja wrote:Any luck with Jacketed 158gr bullets with these loads?

I've never tried a jacketed bullet in my 14-3 just because I also shot my cheap home cast bullets. But I am interested in trying a quality jacketed bullet some day to see what may come of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Jacketed bullets for DR matches, at least in my area, are a highly debated topic, quite a few people are strongly of opinion that they shouldn't be allowed. For this reason I haven't bothered with them, probably would work though, just would need a bit of effort. 

My DR load is probably on the faster side, don't have a chronograph but the charge weight I use is a bit higher than others I have seen. I use 3.5gr of WST with Brazos 158RN

Christopher
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:48 pm

chiz1180 wrote:

Jacketed bullets for DR matches, at least in my area, are a highly debated topic, quite a few people are strongly of opinion that they shouldn't be allowed. For this reason I haven't bothered with them, probably would work though, just would need a bit of effort. 

My DR load is probably on the faster side, don't have a chronograph but the charge weight I use is a bit higher than others I have seen. I use 3.5gr of WST with Brazos 158RN

Christopher

If you look in the rule book there is no mention of the word jacketed or lead. Only the bullet's profile, and weight are specified. If someone were to compete with a jacketed round nose or a jacketed semi wadcutter, I'm not going to protest it because the shooter isn't breaking any written rule. The written rule is all we can go by. It's not our place to presume the rule's unspoken intentions. And "the spirit of the rule" has no leg to stand on. The written word in the rule book is how the game is governed. If exceptions were made beyond the written rule, for or against something, then we'd be making up rules on the spot and that's not fair to any shooter. What is fair, is following what is in print.

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:02 pm

I 100% agree but at some point these guys will probably end up scoring my targets. From my point of view its probably best to not provoke any sort of disagreement, just simpler that way.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:05 pm

My DR load for 50 yards runs about 770 fps. Holds 10 ring off sandbags with my M14-2.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down