Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith

3 posters

Go down

looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith Empty looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith

Post by machinist mike Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:39 pm

I am on the hunt for a Mod 25-5 revolver in 45 Colt with a 4" barrel.  It seems that the 4" barrels are made of unobtainium and S & W has no stock of these.  I thought about purchasing a new 6" barreled revolver, and having it cut down, but was told by a couple of local smiths that S &W went to investment cast frames (?) ant it is easy to crack the frame removing the barrel.  I guess what I am asking, does anyone have any suggestions as far as who to see for this work, or does anyone have a 4" Model 25 S & W in 45 colt caliber.
Thanks

machinist mike

Back to top Go down

looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith Empty Re: looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith

Post by james r chapman Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 pm

joe leininger, Mojo guns, Howell, Michigan
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith Empty Re: looking for a S & W revolver pistolsmith

Post by inthebeech Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:05 pm

For all the criticisms of S&W ( and I agree with all of them after reading Kuhnhausen's shop manual) you are rolling the dice with the 45 Colt since there was more variation in throat diameter than in any other cartridge.  So as much as I wouldn't want to choose a newer (post 86) gun, you are probably going to get more consistent throat diameters with a purchase of a newer (625) gun.   Of course if you are shooting only jacketed, you can disregard all of this. Very Happy
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down