Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nikon Super Dot

+5
LenV
lablover
mikemyers
SMBeyer
ASchlem
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

38 super - Nikon Super Dot - Page 2 Empty Nikon Super Dot

Post by ASchlem Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

38 super - Nikon Super Dot - Page 2 Nikon10
Has anyone used the Nikon superdot? I was getting ready to order another aimpont micro and found this one. Im not crazy about the brightness adjustment, but time will tell. I know most of these dot are all made in the same Chinese factory but Nikon has a outstanding name. There is no noticeable image reduction like many of the ultra dots have.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

38 super - Nikon Super Dot - Page 2 Empty Re: Nikon Super Dot

Post by LenV Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Mike, I am really certain I didn't recommend the Gen2 to anyone. I might of if I had ever owned one. I have lots of Ultradots but I quit buying them about 3 years ago. I am not bothered by any reduced image but there are better choices out there for me. The Nikon for one in the short tube and the Sightron S30 for full size. I suppose I should get one of the gen2's if I see one at the right price.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Len, I'm confused, but that's nothing new.  I know we were talking about the old 1" Ultradot, and several people were suggesting I try to find one.  I thought you were one of those people - I know it was a one inch sight, and at the time Ultradot and Matchdot seemed to be the same company and product to me.  Do any of the guns in the photos you posted back then of your "collection" have a one inch tube style sight?  

If I get my Nelson set up, I'm going to need a sight to put on it.  Sounds like a good opportunity to buy the Nikon.  From Amazon Prime, it's $190 including shipping, and if I don't like it, I can return it.

It's now on order - will arrive this coming Monday, Aug 31.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Mike, I have lots of 1" Ultradots. They are all 4 moa. The Gen2 are 2 moa. They may also make them in 4. Not sure. I would definitely recommended one of the older models. I like them. The older the better. I sold a bunch on my last spring cleaning so not sure how many I have left.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Aha!  Please send me an email if you find another - but I'm real curious, as to why you prefer the older ones to the Gen2 ?

Other than 2 MOA vs. 4 MOA, aren't they the same?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Keeping it mostly about Nikons I have to say that 3 out of 4 of my latest acquisitions were Nikons. A Sig Romeo4A also made it home. Another great micro. The old Oakshore Ultradots a (lot like Leupolds)have no "clicks" on their dial and can be adjusted any portion of an moa desired.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm

My Nikon arrived today.  Looks very solid, has a nice mount, will find out if I need to file the groove in my rail so it fits.  At 5.6 ounces, it's one ounce heavier than the Aimpoint, but it's a lot less expensive.  

I'm also going to miss the flip-out see-through lens covers on the Aimpoint.  

It comes with a mount attached that should easily fit on my rail (hopefully no filing), and two other mounts that I don't understand - no idea what they're used for.  Unless it's buried away some place in the box, it doesn't seem to have come with a tightening tool.  It does have a spec for tightness - set the torque wrench I haven't bought yet) to 15 to 20 lbf-in (inch pounds?).  It has an auto-off function that can be used to turn itself off if I forget.

It looks a lot more substantial than I expected.  I hope to get to try it out later this week.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:21 pm

The extra mounts stack together to raise the sight. I went the other way and turned down the bolt between the threads and head. I didn't want to modify my gun or rail.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Did you use a lathe to do this, or is there an easier way I haven't yet thought of?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:31 pm

mikemyers wrote:Did you use a lathe to do this, or is there an easier way I haven't yet thought of?
file or Dremel works
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:26 pm

I would use a lathe. I don't remember how much I had to cut off but it seemed like it would be a lot to do with a file.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Mike, you can chuck the cross bolt in your drill press. Just run it slow and remove extra with a file. A very fast way to take off the extra metal. A poor man's lathe. Just remember you have to make smaller only where it contacts rail.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks, Len, but I'm sending it back.  It did fit the rail on the Nelson wit no problem, but the cross-bolt felt like it came with a cross-threaded bolt to start with.  It should have come out easily, but it felt "bent".

Mounted on the gun, the Nikon felt "clumsy" and "heavy", compared to the Aimpoint which is no larger than it needs to be.  To top it off, the dot didn't look nice to me.  Final straw, the cross-bolt just "felt" too flimsy.  

My Aimpoint H-1 developed "issues" (won't move the dot to the right), so something needed to be done.  The Aimpoint 9000sc is much too heavy.  I've got a Matchdot II, but if I'm going with a Matchdot, I'll buy the one inch diameter version.  I've also got a Vortex Venom sitting on the High Standard I put up for sale (without that sight).  

For now, I mounted my Ultradot LT/1.

Nikon has a wonderful reputation, and I've been using Nikons seemingly from before I was born, and I was real excited about this sight, but the more I messed around with it, the less enthused I got.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by ASchlem Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Hate to hear you are not satisfied with it. I have heard people see the dots differently. I like mine and have used it on my 45 in a few matches now. I will order another.

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2