Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges

+10
Slamfire
retfed
DA/SA
mpolans
james r chapman
Asa Yam
troystaten
Wobbley
jjfitch
mikemyers
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges - Page 2 Empty Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges

Post by mikemyers 10/21/2020, 9:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

A relative asked me if he could weigh his boxes of loaded 38 Special cartridges to confirm that they have powder in them.  My first thought was no way, but the more I thought about it, I'm not so sure that was the right answer.

He reloaded his used 38 Special cases, after tumbling them.  He used the same bulletin all of them - he was making wadcutter rounds for his Model 52.  He doesn't remember his powder load, but I'm 99% sure it was 2.7 or 2.8 grains of Bullseye.  Reloading was done on a Dillon 550B.

I suggested he take one box of questionable 50 rounds, weigh each one, and record the weight.  His bullet weight ought to be consistent, and while I don't know how much variation there might be in the case weight, I doubt it would be as much as 2.8 grains.

I suspect that after doing this, he could discard any rounds that seemed overly heavy or light, and shoot the ones that were close to the expected weight.  

He is 99.9% sure he never made any mistakes, but the idea of blowing up his gun if there was a mistake got to him.  
Your thoughts?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges - Page 2 Empty Re: Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges

Post by sharkdoctor 11/14/2020, 10:17 am

While a lot of good common sense suggestions were made above, I too strongly suggest not firing any suspect reloads.  Even a "barrel-less" revolver still has a chamber, and an overload could generate excessive pressures.  Be safe.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges - Page 2 Empty Re: Checking already loaded rounds, looking for empties or double charges

Post by Boston Bill 11/18/2020, 4:25 pm

mikemyers wrote:
jjfitch wrote:Your bullets will have .......
His, not mine!!!  I told him months ago that weighing them was a silly idea.
Then I wondered if maybe I was being too stubborn.

I told this person over and over and over and over that he had to SEE the powder before he put the bullet in place.
I also sent him a link to how a mirror on his Dillon would allow him to do this.
He did buy a light that I think shines down the middle of the Dillon, but I've never seen it.
It still has powder in it from 2 1/2 years ago.

What made him finally react, was when I sent him photos of blown up guns I copied from this forum.

This reloading press light is awesome!! http://www.kmssquared.com/ufo_h.html
I have 1 on both of my XL650's!

Boston Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/18/2020, 5:48 pm

Not trusting someone else's reloads, I just finished hammering the bullets out of a free bag of 100 .41 magnum ammo I had from an unknown reloader.    Note said the primers are Fed MLP, with 10gr Unique.  I weighed 9 dumped charges to be 89.2gr out of the expected 90gr.  Pretty close.  But they were still unknown redoads.  I'll give the lead to Roddy and reload the new Winchester brass later, maybe.  My S&W 57 and 58 are near new condition.  I really have no need to shoot them.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/18/2020, 10:54 pm

Sorry to bring up my .41 unloading again.  But this might apply to any hammer bullet pulling....
I detected a fair amount of green powder mixed in with the Unique powder as I dumped it out.  upon looking at the primers still in the empty cases, it appears the primers did not survive the hammering.  So I deprimed the cases in a universal decapper.  Lots of green powder came out.  At least now I can clean the cases in soap and water.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 11/19/2020, 11:05 am

Maybe the powder wasn't all the same? Ive never had a primer disintegrate on disassembley.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2