Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Project in the works

+5
JNW1
Tripscape
Jon Eulette
tovaert
mustachio
9 posters

Go down

New Project in the works Empty New Project in the works

Post by mustachio Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:48 pm

I have been debating between the Sig p210 and CZ Shadow 2 for a long time. I have read the pros and cons of both and have shot both.
Guys at my gun club have been kind enough to let me shoot theirs and I have finally come to a conclusion. 

The Sig P210 is nice, accurate and has a classic look. Trigger pull was 3.5#. I did, however find it to be a bit snappy with the 9mm b/c it weighs in at about 37 oz. It has the internal rails which I like. The target version would run about  $1499 in today's market.

The CZ Shadow 2 is as accurate if not more. It is very heavy, weighing in at 46.5 oz. Recoil is minimal, at best. It is comfortable in the hand and the trigger is crisp and between 3.3 and 3.5#, single action only. There is more aftermarket support for the CZ and simply by changing a couple of springs I can move the trigger to 3# or  bit less. It, as well has the internal rails. The CZ can be had for about $1100.00  Just what I need for shooting bullseye at my local club. I "pulled the trigger", so to speak and went for the CZ. The little I have shot it with iron sights, it is a tack driver. I like shooting 135 and 147 gr.  I have ordered the EGW dovetail mount for my red dot (I have an Atibal MRD V2-built like a tank). 
See pic below: 
https://i.imgur.com/Zw7VEph.jpg

Last edited by mustachio on Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

New Project in the works Empty Re: New Project in the works

Post by tovaert Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:55 pm

I just built up my CZ SP-01 Tactical (DA/SA decocker model) with a Cajun pro package and replaced the rear sight with a CZ factory Pic rail, for a Burris red dot. It IS heavy, but shooting subsonic 147 gr handloads is soft and still plenty accurate. I think the lockup in the CZ is a little better than the P210A, but I'm no expert in that regard.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:06 pm

Been a long time since I handled a TZ/CZ pistol. They have no barrel hood if I remember right? 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Been a long time since I handled a TZ/CZ pistol. They have no barrel hood if I remember right? 
Jon
Aftermarket (Cajun) threaded barrel for the SP-01:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/04200-sp-01-threaded-barrel-9mm/

They also sell a pinned bushing that can be fitted, if so desired.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:10 pm

Looks like small hood. I think the TZ's I was building in early 90's didn't have a hood.
Thanks
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 am

Not a hijack, but an add to the thread, relevant competitor in the same price range and meant to compete directly with CZ Shadow 2 - Beretta 92X Performance. Never held one but watched plenty of reviews, looks good if not top heavy. Adjustable sights and trigger, heavy beast, reviewed as accurate. Another one is Arex Alpha, also very worthy and sub $1000.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:26 pm

CZ pistols can be excellent.  I have a 9mm TSO that is SAO.  It is fabulous!  The trigger is too light for bullseye, 1 lb 12 oz on my gun, but is quite good and can be made heavier.  Its heavy, but that makes it a delight to shoot.  You can send your Shadow 2 to Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom for a 1911 style bushing which should improve accuracy.  Enjoy your new pistol and let us know how it shoots.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:54 pm

I did some spring changes in my Shadow 2..
Changed the trigger return spring and added a floating return spring pin...no more roll pin.
Trigger is now 2.6#
I tried changing the main spring to 13# and putting in a reduced power FP spring...crazy thing
happened. Upon the first dry fire...the firing pin went so far forward it got stuck in the FP hole.
The spring is TOO weak to hold it back enough to return the FP.  I took it out and will return it.

I added my ATIBAL red dot on an EGW dovetail base, and gave it some RED, WHITE, and BLUE
G-10 grip panels. 

Here is the new iteration of my Shadow 2-SAO

PS: the OEM rear sight was an animal to remove...

New Project in the works OMCNPBP
mustachio
mustachio

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Looks great! That trigger guard has a new shape maybe. I haven't seen it before - the extra room at the top of your middle finger will be more comfortable than the one I'm familiar with.

The rear sight comes out to the left (IIRC), reverse of many US guns. It'll move either way, but did you go that direction?
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm

I returned the grips to Cool Hand Gear because the 2 panels did not match. I requested a different color and pattern and this is what I got...I like them. 

https://i.imgur.com/rJSWyEi.jpg

Now to remove the anodizing from the trigger so it is not color mis-matched. I tried a small brass brush on a "cheapo" dremel copy and all it did was leave a brass color on the trigger...took off no anodizing. I understand if I soak a cotton ball in vinegar and put it on the trigger it will eventually come off...any thoughts on this or should I just leave it be.

PS: I shoot it better than my S&W 52
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:00 pm

You can remove anodizing by putting it in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Why not just paint it black? Anodizing is a good base for paint.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:You can remove anodizing by putting it in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Why not just paint it black? Anodizing is a good base for paint.
Good idea and it can come off if I don't like it
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:58 am

I like CZ. If you do some 50 yard testing let us know as I would like to use a CZ for CMP matches.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:27 am

CZ advertises their accurized SPO1 will print 3 inches at 50. I do know if that is what you want but not terrible for a off the shelf gun. If you weld the barrel could it go lower?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down