Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke?

+7
jjfitch
David R
10sandxs
mikld
fc60
james r chapman
bruce martindale
11 posters

Go down

38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke? Empty 38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke?

Post by bruce martindale Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 pm

I am using old school nra 50-50 lube.

In cast 45 loads, l don't get a lot of smoke but in 38s I do.

3.0 BE, 2.9 wst, 2.4 700x all smoke.

Change lube? But 45 is clean, h&g50 38 smokes

I have 45-45-10, or LLA.

Hotter powder like titegroup? Bigger volume of slower powder? Anyone know?

Would like a clean quiet indoor load. Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke? Empty Re: 38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke?

Post by james r chapman Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Less powder.
2.5 BE, 2.7 or less WST
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke? Empty Re: 38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke?

Post by fc60 Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Greetings,

If not done already, try lubing only the bottom groove only.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:28 am

So is it a pressure issue, a friction issue, or something else?

Will try the above but the 700x load is already very light; 630 fps with poor combustion?

Will try tubmle lube after sizing next

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikld Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:22 pm

I believe it's a heat "problem". Heat from powder plus heat from friction raise lube temps enough for it to smoke excessively. I often drop a small chunk of lube in my casting pot and get quite a bit of smoke. But I haven't compared my C-Red to Speed Green or any commercial or home made lubes to see which is the smokiest. Alox is considered "smoky" by some, but I don't notice any excess smoke with my 45-45-10. My observations may be worthless because for many years of shooting indoors smoke was no problem for me (98% of my handloads were cast and in my 38s I used NRA lube and my 44 Magnums used C-Red with powders ranging from Bullseye to WC820) and now I shoot out doors; "what smoke?"...

mikld

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Well here's the answer: It's simply friction from a long 38 cal bearing surface.

Made the same loads today but with sized, tumble lubed 38 cast wadcutters. No smoke but TOO slippery: didn't cycle, no pressure, and low velocity.

If you ever doubted 45-45-10, don't. It works!
Then l remembered soft bullets also take more powder to get the same velocity as harder ones.

Last edited by bruce martindale on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:37 am

Hi tek... or powder coat... cuts smoke in everything 75+%

10sandxs

pergoman and David R like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 am

^^^^^^  What he said.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am

Dry lube and WST!

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Anyone tried the powder coating?  Do they smoke, and do they shoot?

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Slamfire wrote:Anyone tried the powder coating?  Do they smoke, and do they shoot?

In my experience they shoot as good, ot better than lubed bullets. Fit is more important. You can probably get a sample pack from brazos. They use hitek, but I've seen no difference between the two coatings. Only ease of application

Smoke is night and day difference between lubed and coated...

10sandxs

bdrake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 am

Only lube bottom lube groove.
Use 45/45/10 tumble lube, wax emulsion tumble lube, or powder coat.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:59 am

Its the lube that makes the smoke.  

Go to powder coated and you will not have a problem.  

Accuracy is as good or better than conventionally lubed.  

38 Special cast wadcutter with less smoke? 18010

25 yards Brazos coated 180 SWC.

Powder coating also helps reduce lead poison.    Not a problem for everyone, but is for me.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 am

Powder coat or tumble lube coat the whole bullet, with a long bearing surface, it matters. 
Lube in these grooves doesn't do enough.

bruce martindale

bdrake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 pm

10sandxs wrote:
Slamfire wrote:Anyone tried the powder coating?  Do they smoke, and do they shoot?

In my experience they shoot as good, ot better than lubed bullets. Fit is more important.  You can probably get a sample pack from brazos. They use hitek, but I've seen no difference between the two coatings. Only ease of application

Smoke is night and day difference between lubed and coated...

I appreciate the two posters stating they have not seen a decrease in accuracy with powder coated bullets.  That may encourage me to try them.

My Doctor checks my lead levels at my insistence, and the amount of lead in my blood goes up once shooting season starts.  I think Bullseye Pistol is the greatest contributor as pistols blow one heck of a lot of elemental lead out in front of the shooter. And I of course, am an air breathing creature, and that stuff goes directly into the lungs, and then into the blood.

I am very hopeful that lead free primers arrive in quantity soon, and I am using plated bullets during timed and rapid fire in an attempt to reduce the lead out of my pistols. But, given that everyone else around is blowing lead out the tube, both from primers, and cast bullets, I am probably baying at the moon, in terms of reducing the lead in the air around me.

I have tried bring a fan to blow back to front, but sometimes the shooters around me complain about it, for various reasons, and I have to turn it off.  And then, sometimes the wind blows front to back, and a little fan is unable to compete with Mother Nature.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:01 pm

OP was about smoke, not lead, but I agree Slamfire.
Blood levels go up with indoor shooting, and down when summer arrives. Proper care/cleaning is essential to keep the lead out of your system. Be surgeon clean!
Doff your shooting clothes after shooting, keep gun cleaning way away from food/kitchen, etc. Wash hands at the range before getting in your car.
Sorry to hijack your thread Bruce!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by pergoman Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 pm

I stopped all indoor shooting except 22's in our league when my lead levels hit 23! I then began powder coating all of my bullets for all disciplines, indoors and out. My lead levels are down to 16 and steady for the last year which is encouraging. I no longer blow out gobs of black gunk after a centerfire practice indoor session, thanks to the powder coating and no more lube of any kind. It took a bit of load tweaking to duplicate or better the group sizes but I can't imagine I will ever return to lubes. Smoke, smell and soot are a thing of the past for me.

pergoman

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:45 pm

Anytime John, spread the word...

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down