Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W 41......

+6
Wobbley
Sa-tevp
LenV
CR10X
jjfitch
285wannab
10 posters

Go down

S&W 41...... Empty S&W 41......

Post by 285wannab 11/12/2020, 8:39 am

Has anyone shot their best scores with a 41?  What length?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

S&W 41...... Empty Re: S&W 41......

Post by jjfitch 11/12/2020, 9:30 am

What tier shooter are you addressing your question to?

The M41 isn't considered a top tier B/E gun by a lot of shooters.

Entry level and intermediate shooters probably have. 

I'm not a top tier B/E shooter but I sold one of my M-41's to finance a dedicated Nelson upper on a Fusion receiver and breaks like glass trigger pull. My scores went up 15%.

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 11/12/2020, 9:53 am

Well, never shot my best agg with a 41.  

But I did shoot a couple of 100-10X SL targets and 100's on LL and SH in matches with one with a Clark Bullseye Optic barrel.  Just wasn't my cup of tea trigger and grip wise.  I like a "straight" line trigger feel like a 1911 versus a "pivoting" trigger (M41 / Baretta).  But I could make my way though it sometimes.  

I heard Brian Zins mention one time that he was really attached to his M41 way back when.  Just depends on the shooter more than the gun.

Point is, don't worry about the gun if it groups and you like it. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch 11/12/2020, 10:37 am

CR10X wrote:Well, never shot my best agg with a 41.  

But I did shoot a couple of 100-10X SL targets and 100's on LL and SH in matches with one with a Clark Bullseye Optic barrel.  Just wasn't my cup of tea trigger and grip wise.  I like a "straight" line trigger feel like a 1911 versus a "pivoting" trigger (M41 / Baretta).  But I could make my way though it sometimes.  

I heard Brian Zins mention one time that he was really attached to his M41 way back when.  Just depends on the shooter more than the gun.

CR
One of the old B/E publications ran a study of several top shooters including Jim Clark using the popular guns of the era, Ruger, Smith, Colt, H/S....

The results proved that the shooter was the defining factor not the gun, at least in that study!

It's "the Indian not the arrow"!

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/12/2020, 11:02 am

Yes, 7 3/8". Made Master shooting a 41. That would be about 46 years ago.
LenV
LenV

orpheoet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 11/12/2020, 11:05 am

About two years ago I shot at a Regional match in North Georgia next to this really pleasant gentleman nicknamed "Andy". He had a pretty spiffy 5.5" M41 with forward slide serrations that he said Travis Strahan did for him. Super nice guy.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 11/12/2020, 11:24 am

I was thinking about a 41 with the longer barrel.  I was looking at a friends 41 yesterday and I like how the grip felt.  I have had a few before but, it's been awhile.  I have only seen one guy using a conversion in my area.
Does everyone like the trigger feel of a 1911 over the pivoting type trigger?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/12/2020, 2:11 pm

I
jjfitch wrote:

CR
One of the old B/E publications ran a study of several top shooters including Jim Clark using the popular guns of the era, Ruger, Smith, Colt, H/S....

The results proved that the shooter was the defining factor not the gun, at least in that study!

Smiles,
Gil Hebard in his Pistol Shooter’s Treasury had an article comparing various 22 pistols in the 1960s.  He was comparing “match grade “ guns (S&W 41, HS, and  Colts) to entry level “Target” pistols (H&R, Iver Johnson revolvers usually under $30 in 1960).  Both machine rests and top level shooters found the “match grade” guns far superior and the less refined pistols hurt their scores by an average of 50 points!  Sometimes it IS the arrow!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 11/12/2020, 3:46 pm

jjfitch wrote:What tier shooter are you addressing your question to?

The M41 isn't considered a top tier B/E gun by a lot of shooters.

Entry level and intermediate shooters probably have. 

I'm not a top tier B/E shooter but I sold one of my M-41's to finance a dedicated Nelson upper on a Fusion receiver and breaks like glass trigger pull. My scores went up 15%.

Smiles,
Once the barrels are re-lined properly, they'll shoot 1" or so at 50 yards. Plenty accurate enough.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 11/12/2020, 4:06 pm

Hello 285wannab,

Made Master with mine too.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by jjbhonn 11/12/2020, 7:12 pm

Not sure as a marksman that I qualify to offer advice. I have two M41 w 5.5 inch barrel. Don't believe I need the additional length as I shoot with a dot and don't need the added velocity. One has a Clark bullseye optic barrel and the other factory barrel was relined by Ten Ring Precision. With respect to accuracy, both shoot better than I can (consistency) and are on call. At a past Zins clinic, when asked the question "Does anyone at the highest level, shoot a M41? Brian responded "YES". I have had my triggers worked on and I like it. With respect to the grips, I did not like the factory ones. As my fingers are short and stubbyS&W 41...... Icon_smile and as I wanted to simulate the feel of the 1911, I opted to install frame adaptors for both guns from CMM shooting sports. They feel great! Just my thoughts, Joe

jjbhonn

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 11/12/2020, 7:27 pm

285wannab wrote:Has anyone shot their best scores with a 41?  What length?

I am not an expert or master class shooter. But my best scores have been with the M41 as that pistol has an excellent trigger, good hand position, and a muted recoil. I think S&W deliberately designed the slide so the front end is heavy and that reduces any out of balance feel as the slide recoils  in timed and rapid fire.

This is not a M41, but it shoots well. This is the 5.5 inch version.

S&W 41...... HTsKjB7

I ruined any collector value by having the barrel drilled and tapped for an optical mount. I hope the collectors cry at my estate sale, for the value they lost, by me altering my pistols so I could shot them.

S&W 41...... R6qrx7C

In so far as equipment, I am certain that the top shooters get used to their equipment and shoot better with the equipment they are used to. I have heard very good numbers for the inherent accuracy of a M41 when used with match ammunition. I am of the opinion that ammunition accuracy varies more than match pistol/rifle accuracy. And, good match ammunition ought to hold a dime at 50 yards (in a match rifle),

a good shooter did this

S&W 41...... 54za62L

so the four inch ten ring of a pistol target is not that stretching for good match ammunition. In fact, not that stretching for cheap ammunition, but cheap ammunition has less reliable ignition and function, and that is important.

At a recent regional a Master Class shooter was using a High Standard. If someone can make Master with a High Standard, why can't they make Master with a M41?

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch 11/12/2020, 10:20 pm

Wobbley wrote:I
jjfitch wrote:

CR

Smiles,
Gil Hebard in his Pistol Shooter’s Treasury had an article comparing various 22 pistols in the 1960s.  He was comparing “match grade “ guns (S&W 41, HS, and  Colts) to entry level “Target” pistols (H&R, Iver Johnson revolvers usually under $30 in 1960).  Both machine rests and top level shooters found the “match grade” guns far superior and the less refined pistols hurt their scores by an average of 50 points!  Sometimes it IS the arrow!

As I recall their performance was about the same with the S&W, Colt, H/S and Ruger reflecting their ability not the guns. My poor attempt at simile!

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum