Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol

+5
REConley
Gustavo1957
jjfitch
james r chapman
JNW1
9 posters

Go down

Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol Empty Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol

Post by JNW1 12/20/2020, 7:49 pm

I've shared on here a bit about my attempt to make my Model 41 more reliable recently.  Its 42 years old and does not appear to have been shot a lot.  A new VQ extractor and extractor spring helped and a 6 pound Wolff spring allowed me to shoot SK+ in it.  However, ejection was inconsistent and I got an occasional light strike that did not ignite SK.  When I put these rounds back in for a second attempt they all fired.  I got a new mainspring and it was almost 1/2" longer than the one in the gun. I tested the gun out today so now it has a new extractor and new extractor, recoil, firing pin and main springs.  I got 100% ignition and strong ejection.  This is good.  With SK it ran fine with 5 rounds in a magazine, but I got frequent failures to eject when I had 10 rounds in the magazine.  These FTE only occurred in the first 3 rounds with a full magazine. This tells me that I am on the very edge of reliability with SK ammo with 5 rounds in a magazine.  I put some CCI SV through it and it ran like a champ even with 10 rounds loaded.  My goal was to shoot SK+ in this gun as I have several cases on hand.  I do have a few bricks of CCI and normally this would not be a concern, but it is uncertain when I will be able to get my hands on more CCI.  Any other ammo you can recommend that may run in my 41 now?
Thanks,
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol Empty Re: Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol

Post by james r chapman 12/20/2020, 9:15 pm

JNW1 wrote:I've shared on here a bit about my attempt to make my Model 41 more reliable recently.  Its 42 years old and does not appear to have been shot a lot.  A new VQ extractor and extractor spring helped and a 6 pound Wolff spring allowed me to shoot SK+ in it.  However, ejection was inconsistent and I got an occasional light strike that did not ignite SK.  When I put these rounds back in for a second attempt they all fired.  I got a new mainspring and it was almost 1/2" longer than the one in the gun. I tested the gun out today so now it has a new extractor and new extractor, recoil, firing pin and main springs.  I got 100% ignition and strong ejection.  This is good.  With SK it ran fine with 5 rounds in a magazine, but I got frequent failures to eject when I had 10 rounds in the magazine.  These FTE only occurred in the first 3 rounds with a full magazine. This tells me that I am on the very edge of reliability with SK ammo with 5 rounds in a magazine.  I put some CCI SV through it and it ran like a champ even with 10 rounds loaded.  My goal was to shoot SK+ in this gun as I have several cases on hand.  I do have a few bricks of CCI and normally this would not be a concern, but it is uncertain when I will be able to get my hands on more CCI.  Any other ammo you can recommend that may run in my 41 now?
Thanks,
Jeff
GECO Semi-Auto
GECO Rifle
AGUILA Super Xtra
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol Empty Re: Guess my 41 really is a CCI SV pistol

Post by jjfitch 12/20/2020, 9:55 pm

Try putting 3 SK rounds in the mag first and then 7 rounds of CCI!

I know "out of the box" thinking again!

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gustavo1957 12/21/2020, 6:18 am

I have a fellow BE team member with an older S&W 41/ reflex red dot who started having problems with CCI SV. He is getting 2 FTF rounds per 50 box and now has set that case aside for practice only.

I suggested 2 things:

1. Oil all your rounds as I was told by Bruce Martindale and others. And add a small drop on top of 1st round in magazine. I set down a small paper towel and do this on the line during 3 minute prep time. Another paper towel to wipe my hands. I shoot an old HS 107 Supermatic Citation. Using oil can be tried immediately.

2. Try Aguila Super Extra SV. Worked for him too. With oil too.

I could spare 2- 50 rd boxes of Aguila SE SV or GECO Rifle if you want to try them. But shipping ammo charges aren't cheap as I learned last week.

Gustavo1957

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 12/21/2020, 7:07 am

I live in GA and we have cooled off enough here that the Aguila Super Extra SV I was shooting at the first of December has become unreliable. 2 or more FTE per mag. Geco Semi-auto works fine, the CCI SV is currently working fine and every type Eley I have are reliable. I would ask the question about your SK is it the cold or the ammo.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Gustavo1957 12/21/2020, 7:22 am

I should have stated I shoot BE indoors in upstate NY. Most clubs have no heat till we arrive and start the furnace or wood stove or both. As it gets colder some shooters keep their loaded magazines in their pockets for warmer a temperature and help reliability. 
Some people have put hand warmers inside their pistol box too.

I have an LSP barrel on my HS which has been very accurate and no chambering issues.

I'm able to keep my magazines out on the shooting station.

Gustavo1957

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky452 12/21/2020, 10:24 pm

I have three M-41 barrels. All three pass the "plunk" test easily with CCI std Velocity. The cartridges drop in fully seated and will fall out when the barrel is inverted. Two of the barrels will allow SK Standard to drop in fully, but the cartridges will not drop out when the barrels are inverted. The third barrel, which is the newest, fails the "plunk" test with SK Standard and requires some additional (finger) force to seat the cartridge. A cleaning rod is then required to remove them from this barrel.

shaky452

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2020, 6:59 pm

You don't need ten in the mag. It adds unneeded upward pressure on the slide. That and "He who is without oil, throws the first rod". I have a 41 that won't even run cci, unless I oil it.

Aguilla (Eagle) is good stuff but was a tad larger in diameter. It can be fussy in a 41 as their chambers vary. Good luck

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 12/22/2020, 7:21 pm

GECO Semi-Auto
GECO Rifle
AGUILA Super Xtra

These three have been working well in my 41. Just keep a rag handy to wipe your hands when using the Gecos. They're quite oily, which may contribute to their reliability. They were .04/round when I bought them, so I'm not complaining.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 12/23/2020, 8:59 am

Thanks for the replies.  Both CCI and SK pass the plunk and fall out test in my 41. I’d like to try some Aguila - now just have to find it.  I’m used to oily.  SK requires a rag as well.
Jeff

Last edited by JNW1 on 12/23/2020, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 12/23/2020, 9:40 am

I only oil my top round in the magazine, but only shoot CCI SV.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 12/23/2020, 12:45 pm

I really don't want to have to put a drop of oil on my top round.  Seems like it should run without it - given the correct ammo.

JNW1

spursnguns likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down