Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammo availability

+7
GME
Asa Yam
David R
Outthere
REConley
weber1b
IowaShooter
11 posters

Go down

Ammo availability  Empty Ammo availability

Post by IowaShooter Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:10 pm

One of my local LGSs has CCI std velocity for 2.99 per box of 50 (.06 per round)

Limit three boxes per week. I just drop in and buy 3 per week. (They only sell face to face)  Midwest Shooting in Hiawatha IA

They also have most other brands and  calibers and box sizes (but it is 3 box per week limit.) E.g. bricks of Aguila40gr .22, various brands of 9mm, .45, 5.56, etc

Shelves are not bare by any means

They put your name in the computer to track 

What's it like where you live?

IowaShooter

Back to top Go down

Ammo availability  Empty Re: Ammo availability

Post by weber1b Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Not worth going to the store where I live mostly. But not a problem cause there is nothing I am short on.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:50 pm

Stores have little to none on the shelves. Stores with gun ranges have a fair amount of "Range Ammo" but $35.00 for 50 9mm plus all the other rentals fees the casual shooter needs makes for a expensive shooting experience.  At a 11 line pistol range today for about 1 1/2 hours and an hour of that time I was alone.  They have guns and they are selling them but not much ammo. 

Saving grace has been a few online sources that are target ammo only sellers. The price of a box of Eley scares off the casual shooter.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:12 am

Alot of it depends on location. Around the Chicago area, ammo is scarce due to the population size.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:37 am

Shelves are bare here.   Now and then there will be a few boxes of 9mm or 223.  Odd calibers may have a few boxes, like 460 magnum, 300 WSSM etc,    

I was caught last time, so this time I am prepared.  Could shoot for about 3 years.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Oregon and Washington - shelves are pretty well cleared out near Seattle and Portland, and in the stores along I-5.  About two months ago, went into the Bass Pro Shop in Tacoma, and the ammo shelves there were really bare.  As in what David described, plus a few boxes of 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo.  (We are not talking about small shelves at Bass Pro.)  The Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouses are about the same.  Occasionally, they have useful ammo arrive, but it disappears fairly quickly.  As in "before the store website can be updated."

Bullets and a lot of medium rate (IMR-4198 to H-4350 burn rate) rifle powders are hard to find (especially the extruded rifle powders, though even the ball varieties can be a challenge to locate), pistol powders are "hit and miss".  Sometimes, it is possible to find a desired pistol powder, but usually, the ones on the shelf tend to be the slower burn rate varieties - if you can find them.  Shotgun primers are still on the shelf, hard to find standard rifle or pistol ones.

Between ammo hoarders, and ~7 million new gun owners, am not surprised there is an ammo and component shortage.  Am okay on reloading supplies for my firearms, could use more reliable .22 pistol ammo.  Remington Thunderbolts reliably cycle semiauto .22 pistols, but accuracy is lacking.

Asa Yam

swissyhawk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:42 am

I too have been having a tough time.  I have the powder, brass and bullets.  I need large and small primers, but mainly large for .45acp.  I have a thousand rounds loaded of .38 Spec for my Mod 52, so I'm okay on that for now.

I have a few bricks of SK Pistol Match left, but it will be gone in a few weeks.  Like many, or probably most, I've been rationing what I have.  Tough getting my shooting in shape after a hiatus of a few decades.

I live across the Narrows Bridge from Tacoma.  Like Asa, I've found ammo and reloading supplies in the area to be scarce.  I keep looking for primers, but have found none.  I've resisted paying a triple price the primers up for auction, but I may just have to bite the bullet (pun intended).

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Last shortage I bought an 8 lb keg of Alliant Promo.   Its the exact same speed as Red Dot by weight.   Some how I used that one up and  bought another one last year.  

I do not use the Promo for bullseye, but a lot of other stuff.  It does work for Bullseye loads, 3.7 behind a 200 grain coated bullet gives me about 700+ fps. 

This fall I lucked out, my local Sporter Rifle club  had case of SK standard + in the black and yellow box.    $550  for a case, limit one.  I bought one even though I have a partial on hand.  I also bought some CCI SV 2 years ago $279 a case.   It was the same thing, I had a partial on hand.   

Stock up when you can.

Last shortage, I went in to wall mart every morning at 7:00 AM.  Asked if any ammo came in.   for 30 days the answer was always no.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:06 pm

My local Walmart no longer carries ammo.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:00 pm

I just saw that CDNN is auctioning off ammo at inflated prices.  A new way to gouge the customer.  Something I will remember.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:51 pm

I see it's on GunBroker with a starting bid of .01 for 1000 rounds of 9mm. It's now at $805.00 with 32 bids and 5 hours to go. Shocked

The bidders/buyers are "gouging" themselves, not the seller!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Yeah you can't exactly blame gun shops big or small for starting auctions at a penny. That's supply and demand at its best. I prefer that to them just jacking up all their site's pricing.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down