Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rock River Arms: Pros vs Cons

+10
KBarth
John Dervis
JIMPGOV
dapduh2
SteveT
Dcforman
SW-52
10sandxs
Fotomaniac
Allen Barnett
14 posters

Go down

Rock River Arms: Pros vs Cons Empty Rock River Arms: Pros vs Cons

Post by Allen Barnett Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:33 pm

Here is the deal, I am thinking it is time to retire my two Colt Government models (1934 manufacture and consective numbered) which were built my Dad in 1961 and then re-freshed by Joe Chambers of the NGMTU in 1988.  I have been looking at the opitions from starting with a Springfield Range Officer and having a complete full build done to going with an Accuracy X firearm.  I have never handled a RRA but I have heard good things about them.  I am trying to be realistic in that at my age I will never probably develop past Expert.  I am thinking that the RRA is a good solid opition.  What are the thoughts of of the group?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Rock River Arms: Pros vs Cons Empty Re: Rock River Arms: Pros vs Cons

Post by Fotomaniac Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 pm

AXI all the way...great pistol, great service!  No excuses.

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 pm

I ordered my first dedicated bullseye gun from rock river in 99 or 2000. Easily got me to master and still shoots very well. I'm not sure what thier current guns are like as the guy that built mine passed years ago. Rock river has been arround for a long time, mainly on the rifle side, but I've handled and shot two or three... all shot well...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 am

Allen Barnett wrote:Here is the deal, I am thinking it is time to retire my two Colt Government models (1934 manufacture and consective numbered) which were built my Dad in 1961 and then re-freshed by Joe Chambers of the NGMTU in 1988.  I have been looking at the opitions from starting with a Springfield Range Officer and having a complete full build done to going with an Accuracy X firearm.  I have never handled a RRA but I have heard good things about them.  I am trying to be realistic in that at my age I will never probably develop past Expert.  I am thinking that the RRA is a good solid opition.  What are the thoughts of of the group?
Springfield RO with Accuracy X Multi sight slide, super deal!!
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:18 am

I have a 2018 model, and it has been exceptionally reliable and accurate. The trigger suits me well (quite crisp). I got it to hold me over until Jon finishes a build for me. Test target was 1.8". Seems to shoot better than that offhand. I think it's a great value (doesn't hurt that I got it as NOS for $2200). The combo rail is quite heavy, and not allowed for service pistol. So unless you plan on shooting iron sights for the 2700, I'd go with the standard rib. Mine required a rather hefty load to cycle the gun when new, even with a 10# spring, 4.4 WST behind a 185 LSWCHP, if I remember correctly.

Dave

Dcforman

x90rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:35 am

Rock River makes great pistols, comparable to any other high end 1911 on the market.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

x90rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am

Here’s my take. I’ve had a rebarreled Range Officer that I shot lights out with. Now I have a rock river and a Eulette custom build. My custom gun from Eulette is incredible, down to small details like beveled edges. But my rock river can also drill the X. 
I think the question you need to ask yourself is if it’s worth it to add the extra money and 1+ year wait for a custom gun. If you are eager to get shooting then grab a rock river (they normally have several listed on their website already built and ready to ship).
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 pm

I'VE BEEN SHOOTING ROCK RIVERS FOR OVER 20 YEARS. YOU CAN SPEND A LOT MORE , BUT YOU WONT GET MORE. YOU CAN SPEND LESS AND MORE OFTEN THAN NOT YOU GET LESS. THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK AROUND PERIOD. JP

JIMPGOV

kc.crawford.7 and x90rider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm

I am a big fan of Rock River.  Bought my first wad gun in 2003 and a ball gun in 2008.  Both have been plenty accurate and reliable with any load I have used in them.  They both will function with 3.7 BE / 185 gr swc which is fairly light and the wadgun has a slide mounted dot.  They are a pretty good value and are match ready right out of the box.  As was mentioned above, I believe they have a few already built and ready to go so lead time is minimal.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

x90rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Rock river is good but nothing is even close to anything from Eulette. Long wait time but that is expected
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm

funny...I have a RRA, a Springfield RO with Accuracy X Multi sight slide, a Jon Eulette built gun, oh and a Clark Long Heavy slide. They are all excellent.  You can't go wrong with any of these choices.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by houndog Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm

Rock River is a really under appreciated pistol.  My understanding is that RRA produced 1911's from late 90's to approx. 2010/2011, then stopped to concentrate on AR's.   Started back up 3-4 years ago.

I have one of the older ones I bought about 6 months ago on Gunbroker.  The original gun came with a 1.5" guarantee at 50 yards and a test target that was better than that.  I liked mine so much I just bought a second RRA (also an early one).  These are really semi-custom guns with a lot of hand fitting.  From what I've read they are the equal of Les Baer and (I think) were produced in limited numbers by a couple of guys at RRA who used to work for Les Baer.  The newer ones are considered more like regular production guns, although some still come with a 1.5" guarantee.

If you are patient (and a little lucky) you can find a pre-2010 one for under $1500 and, IMHO, at that price they are a steal.

houndog

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

From what I read here, RRA is a ways above LB.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am

I have both.  A RR Basic Limited ($2000) and an SARO ($700 used and a $370 barrel/ bushing fitted by Deep River) and a boringly consistent out of the box trigger.  Both shoot two inch fifty yard groups. The RR is pretty.  I suppose folks will chime in with the benefits of hand fitting (RR) or disparaging opinions of MIM parts (RO) but for the first ten thousand rounds after which I suppose the RO may need something, an HM would likely shoot both equally well.  I only have both because the RO will get a dedicated Nelson upper when it shows up.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 am

Rock River pistols are tops. The only thing difference than sending a base pistol in for an accuracy job, is that you get the exact trigger job and type trigger you want with the custom pistolsmith.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down