Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth

+2
COAST GUARD MIKE
Trigger71
6 posters

Go down

Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth Empty Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth

Post by Trigger71 Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:50 pm

I purchased the Uniquetek WC powder through expander die:  'HBWC (T1735-02): For HBWC bullets .358″ to .360″ diameter and up to .625″ long'.

If I am seating my Hornady HBWC to full flush, do I set the expander to go down into the case the full length of the bullet?  When I expand down that far, the Hornady .360 pushes in with very little effort.  My Acme @ .358 go in with little to no friction at all (DEWC).  If I back the expander out a bit, I get more case tension, but that may swage the skirt of the hollow base. 

Q)  How far down should I set my powder funner/expander?  What kind of case tension should I try to achieve?
Trigger71
Trigger71

COAST GUARD MIKE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth Empty Re: Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth

Post by COAST GUARD MIKE Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:43 pm

I'm also interested in hearing the answer to this. I believe that the Uniquetek PTU is made by Photoescape inc. With my Photoescape PTU. my Zero swaged .358 HBWC bullets drop right in, and do not need a seating die. What is the proper expansion diameter to bullet diameter to achieve proper neck tension? My Photoescape PTU measures .361 / .362 on an inexpensive digital caliper. This is for .38 special with 2.8 Bullseye used in a S&W model 14.
COAST GUARD MIKE
COAST GUARD MIKE

Back to top Go down

Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth Empty Re: Uniquetek WC powder through expander die depth

Post by PhotoEscape Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Trigger71 wrote:I purchased the Uniquetek WC powder through expander die:  'HBWC (T1735-02): For HBWC bullets .358″ to .360″ diameter and up to .625″ long'.

If I am seating my Hornady HBWC to full flush, do I set the expander to go down into the case the full length of the bullet?  When I expand down that far, the Hornady .360 pushes in with very little effort.  My Acme @ .358 go in with little to no friction at all (DEWC).  If I back the expander out a bit, I get more case tension, but that may swage the skirt of the hollow base. 

Q)  How far down should I set my powder funner/expander?  What kind of case tension should I try to achieve?
I'll chime in answering questions on this tread.

Yes, UniqueTek resells my PTUs, and there are two versions for loading 38 Wadcutters - DEWC and HBWC.  Primary parameters are OD and length of expander.  It is very important to understand that loading setup for bullets with different dimensions CAN NOT BE THE SAME!  At the minimum depth of case expansion must be adjusted and there are several nuances to be considered.  In general I recommend expansion to the length of the bullet - (minus) 1/32" for case tension. If you are loading Bevel Base DEWC that bevel is about 1/32", and hence you need to account for it.  Next you need to account for if you are loading bullets flush with top of the case, above case or below case rim.  Lastly, you need to understand that not all cases are suitable for loading 38WC - there is internal tapering in 38 cases, and if this tapering starts closer to the top of the case than length of the bullet, you can expect bulging in the middle of the case.  In order to get rid of such bulging you will have to use Lee FCD, and subsequently you can expect swagging of the bullet in that area.  More with HBWC, and less with DEWC bullets, but there will be swagging.

Hope this helps.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

NuJudge, chopper, RoyDean and COAST GUARD MIKE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 pm

I find that you need to use brass that was made for WC if you load flush with end of case using HBWC to keep from getting bulge and I also use a 38 supper size and deprime die it does not size the case as small as regular 38spl die , also I use the DEWC PTU for Hornady HBWC and the HBWC for Remingtion HBWC bullets.

works for me.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 pm

I suspect the issue/difference is getting case expansion to the proper depth AND the mouth flare in the same step. you could use two steps/dies as needed.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilou Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:29 am

PhotoEscape wrote:

I'll chime in answering questions on this tread.

Yes, UniqueTek resells my PTUs, and there are two versions for loading 38 Wadcutters - DEWC and HBWC.  Primary parameters are OD and length of expander.  It is very important to understand that loading setup for bullets with different dimensions CAN NOT BE THE SAME!  At the minimum depth of case expansion must be adjusted and there are several nuances to be considered.  In general I recommend expansion to the length of the bullet - (minus) 1/32" for case tension. If you are loading Bevel Base DEWC that bevel is about 1/32", and hence you need to account for it.  Next you need to account for if you are loading bullets flush with top of the case, above case or below case rim.  Lastly, you need to understand that not all cases are suitable for loading 38WC - there is internal tapering in 38 cases, and if this tapering starts closer to the top of the case than length of the bullet, you can expect bulging in the middle of the case.  In order to get rid of such bulging you will have to use Lee FCD, and subsequently you can expect swagging of the bullet in that area.  More with HBWC, and less with DEWC bullets, but there will be swagging.

Hope this helps.

AP
the use of the LFCD causes the gain of a ptu to be lost
The LFCD will recalibrate the entire length of the case and therefore potentially recalibrate the warhead
Gilou
Gilou

Black_Talon, bruce martindale and PhotoEscape like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down