Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers?

4 posters

Go down

Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers? Empty Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers?

Post by Nopro Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:00 pm

When shooting both mini mags and sv ammo in my model 17 Smith & Wesson revolver I have a very hard time ejecting the spent cases. All the other brands I use function fine. Is cci brass softer? Has anyone else had this problem?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers? Empty Re: Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers?

Post by BE Mike Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:06 am

I had this problem with a S&W model 17, but if memory serves me, it was with Aguila .22 ammo. I ended up polishing the cylinder charging holes and the model 17 quit being picky. There is also a good chance that the "polishing" also removed a lot of old carbon build up, as the gun was used when I bought it.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Gene Hedberg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers? Empty Re: Is amyone else having trouble with CCI in S&W revolvers?

Post by Nopro Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:57 pm

What did you use to polish the chambers?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:49 pm

When my 17-4 was new I had all kinds of problems with empties sticking, after my smith polished or reamed the cylinders (this was over 35 years ago) I had no problems.  My smith also said don't over oil the cylinders.  I just clean with Hoppe's #9 and go from there.  I shoot CCI SV almost exclusively\

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:04 pm

I have K-22 (pre 17) and ammo was very hard to remove.  I reamed the chambers with 22LR reamer.  Made a huge difference.  Only tiny bits of metal were removed, but it was enough to do the trick.  I then polished the chambers with a 22 Mag chamber hone.  No extraction problems at all now.

There was a slight change in .22 ammo dimensions in the late 50's or early 60's, so you might have an earlier gun.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:44 am

Nopro wrote:What did you use to polish the chambers?
A small strip of fine crocus cloth. I cut a slot in the end of a piece of wood 1/4" dowl rod, slipped the piece of crocus cloth into the slot and chucked it into a hand drill. Of course, if you have the money to spend, you can get the .22 reamer and chamber hone from Brownells, like oldsalt444. I didn't want to go that route for a one time job.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down