Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas

+4
Bubba Blaster
bruce martindale
JKR
Coupebuilder
8 posters

Go down

New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas Empty New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas

Post by Coupebuilder 3/11/2022, 6:16 pm

Anyone have a simple formula for some cowboy loads? Purchasing a Dillon press from a member and like to get everything I need to crank out a few rounds when it gets here. If anyone would sell "spare" primers etc Im all in. Hopefully have some large rifle primers coming, but no unique powder for the one loading I was offered. 
1) need simple formula
2) anyone with brass to sell?
3) anyone with bullets, powder or primers?

Thanks in advance!

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas Empty Re: New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas

Post by JKR 3/12/2022, 8:08 am

I’ve loaded more 45 Colt than I care to think about. It can be loaded with anything from mouse fart loads to Buffalo stompers depending on the firearm you have and your use for it. 
For cowboy type loads, about any fast burning pistol powder will work. Please refer to a good loading manual. The old Colt is a rather huge case intended for black powder( which works well by the way) Great care must be taken not to double charge it. 
Unless you have an old pistol, any .452”lead bullet that your would use in your 45 ACP will work. 
Good luck and be careful!
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas Empty Re: New to reloading,,,looking for some simple 45LC formulas

Post by bruce martindale 3/12/2022, 12:00 pm

What powders do you have?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/12/2022, 12:17 pm

zero anything yet, hopefully have some cci large rifle magnum primers and possibly Winchester 231 ball powder from a friend, but open for anything to get started. Hard time finding brass too of course.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 3/12/2022, 12:25 pm

The 231 will work for your light loads. How much will depend on the bullet used. Again, consult a loading manual.
You’ll need large pistol primers. I wouldn’t use the rifle primers! 
Is brass unavailable? I may have some to get you started if you can’t find any. 
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 3/12/2022, 3:39 pm

coupebuilder... where are you located ?

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by leeshall 3/12/2022, 5:01 pm

Small pistol and small rifle primer pockets are the same diameter and depth. Not so with large pistol and large rifle primer pockets. Large rifle primer pockets are deeper than large pistol primer pockets. Large rifle primers are "taller" than large pistol primers and would protrude from a pistol case making the round unusable. Get and use large pistol primers in your 45 Colt cartridges. Standard primers should be fine vs magnum primers.

leeshall

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/12/2022, 5:28 pm

Thanks for catching that, I mis spoke on the primers, they are CCI no. 350 magnum large pistol primers.  If anyone has brass or bullets they would be willing to part with Im certainly open, appreciate any and all help with this. Looks like I will be using something like a 7.3gr load of win231 with a 250gr bullet to start for a slower indoor plinking round.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by leeshall 3/14/2022, 5:21 pm

Trailboss (if you can find it) not only shoots very well, but is bulky and fills up the big 45 Colt case eliminating the probability of double charges. It also shoots very clean.

leeshall

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 3/14/2022, 6:20 pm

I've got brass and bullets. Brass is all Federal from 1980, the 'new' 225 HP that was all the rage back then ;-)

I full box unfired. The other 3 were reloaded with 8+ Unique and either 250 Speer lead, or some 260 cast bullets I picked up at a gunshow. Used to buy a fair bit from this guy, they always looked well cast, and then he disappeared ... lead poisoning? Anyway ...

I can get an accurate count of loaded vs empty. Pretty sure 1 box empty, the other 2 partial.

Partial box of each of the bullets. Also have a set of RCBS standard dies, and a Lyman 452424(?) mold, pretty sure unused.

Left over from a Gen3 5-1/2" SAA with .457 throats. Leaded like a  .... and the primers would set back tying the cylinder up. The fancy Gen2 commemorative that 'replaced' it won't get fired, and the only other I have is a New Frontier in 44 Special. Good shooter ... but I hate the grips and offset finger pinching trigger. So both of those are available as well.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/14/2022, 8:13 pm

I didnt see Bubba Blasters reply, but Im in western NY...the kinda only good part of the state as far as guns are concerned. 

Im interested in what you have Wes, PM me with some prices if you would. Im a complete newbie to the reloading side so I rely on you guys to guide me along so I can still count to ten without taking off my shoes.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 3/15/2022, 1:46 pm

Hate to be a lecturer but if you are new to loading, your first purchase should be a comprehensive loading manual or two from Lyman, Sierra, etc.  Read it thoroughly, twice, before touching the press. It will also have loads listed for your 45 Colt all the way from mouse fart to heavy. Don’t depend on us to tell you what to do. 
I have been loading for 60 years and still have the first manual I bought. Some of the loads are for obsolete powders and predate reliable pressure tests but the basics are still the same.

Kp321

Coupebuilder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/15/2022, 5:52 pm

Thanks KP! I am ahead on that one and have my grandfathers reloading books from the late 70s, more looking for you guys to recommend good starting loads and things that have worked well in the past for the shooting I want to do. I will double check manufacturers specs before I fire..or load...anything.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 3/20/2022, 9:44 pm

The hotter the load, the funner that gun is.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/20/2022, 11:18 pm

Yeah cant wait to experience that (not)...it would be like the time I was shooting indoors and my buddy handed me his 460 and had it loaded with  what I remember as a fairly tame 45LC cowboy round and the last one unknown to me was a full house .460.  When I got to that I thought I was going to look down and see no hand. Meanwhile my friends were crying they were laughing so hard. Still gives me the nervous shakes for a second when I shoot big revolvers.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down