Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

StatOffice 7

4 posters

Go down

StatOffice 7 Empty StatOffice 7

Post by clark2245 Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:45 pm

There has been discussion in another thread about someone (anyone please) updating StatOffice 7.   I have heard nothing about that happening but have a problem now with it not working on Office 365, which is what I have on my main computer.   Just refuses to run the macros and / or gives a visual basic error code.   I still have one old computer with a 2010 version of office that works, but they changed something about last October that killed it in 365.   Does anyone have a way to make it work in the newer versions of office or has any other program become available that might serve the purpose.   I'm sure there are other match directors out there who either are or will have this problem with the StatOffice 7 program. 

Thanks for any help.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

StatOffice 7 Empty Re: StatOffice 7

Post by fc60 Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Greetings,

I have a copy of Microsoft Office 2000 that I successfully loaded onto a Windoze 10 laptop to run StatOffice.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:53 am

When you open it, do the words "[Compatibility mode]" appear after the filename in the window title bar at the top?

Also, have you tried relaxing the macro security settings in the Trust Center? You may have to set Excel developer mode to see this.

I was able to run it on Excel 2016 a year or two ago, I'll see if I have a chance to try it again.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm

Yes, it is trying to run it in compatibility mode.   It ran ok until about last October when something changed in some update to Office 365 and odd things started happening.   Or mostly it just crashed.  I spent some time online with MS support but they ended up not being able to help. 

At your suggestion I went in and changed a setting to the trust center so it now asks me each time if I wish to trust the document, and when I select 'yes' it now seems it might be working again.  I won't know for sure if all the parts are until I do the next match but I'm hopeful about it for the first time in a while.  The problem seems to come with some very old macros (one error message referenced "Excel 4.0 or 5.0 macros") so maybe that is something it is set to not trust by default.  John wrote this a long time ago and no one has taken on trying to update it so far. 

Thanks.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:12 pm

Good to hear it's running. Yeah, the trust settings can really trip up legacy macros. But, tightening them by default is really important (https://blog.malwarebytes.com/reports/2021/10/at-long-last-microsoft-is-disabling-excel-4-0-macros-by-default/)
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:51 am

I have to accept the macros every time I start StatOffice 7.  Still get an occasional glitch in one of the macros when entering competitors for each match, but simply hit "continue" and it resumes the process.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:03 am

CR10X wrote:I have to accept the macros every time I start StatOffice 7.

CR, the issue is that Office 365 now doesn't even prompt by default, you have to change the Trust Center setting to be prompted.

The problem with these ancient macros is that malware loves them, and when everyone sees the prompt "do you want to enable...?", they automatically click OK. And it's all over. Obviously StatOffice is ok, but even then, don't go turning on macros on any random downloaded spreadsheet that calls itself that!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down