Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digital scale recommendations

5 posters

Go down

Digital scale recommendations Empty Digital scale recommendations

Post by Upper40 4/1/2022, 7:22 pm

Looking for an inexpensive digital powder scale....any feedback on the Lyman Pocket Touch Scale Kit 1500 7750725 ?

Upper40

Back to top Go down

Digital scale recommendations Empty Re: Digital scale recommendations

Post by james r chapman 4/1/2022, 8:29 pm

GEMPRO 250
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon 4/1/2022, 8:46 pm

james r chapman wrote:GEMPRO 250

Discontinued. And sort of recalled.

Mine worked fine but died after about 10 years and when I called the Gempro distributor for repair info, they told me about the "recall" and sent me a refund for the original purchase price after I sent them a copy of the invoice.

That being said, I really didn't find anything that seemed as good as the Gempro for anywhere near that price range. I ended up replacing it with the much more expensive A&D FX-120i and couldn't be happier.
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/1/2022, 9:02 pm

For inexpensive the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 is pretty good.

I've also got a RCBS Chargemaster, its good and can measure my rifle loads, the feed doesn't work as well on flake powder for pistol.

Would love a A&D FX-120i one day with an auto trickle, maybe when I get more time for precision rifle.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Upper40 4/2/2022, 5:52 am

Thanks

I probably should have mentioned that I only want to verify bullet and powder drop weight and not actually use it to load ammo.

Upper40

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 4/2/2022, 8:25 am

I don't have any experience with the Lyman scale, but my impression after having a few is that the scales sold under the brand names of the common reloading companies are generally decent. Not great. Definitely not a lab grade quality or accuracy, but good enough in almost all cases. You can still get a lemon, but they are at a pretty good quality vs cost point.

The cheap digital scales on eBay and Amazon are not worth it.

I started with a beam scale (slow but repeatable), then a cheap eBay scale (totally unreliable and inaccurate), then a couple of "reloading" scales, RCBS and Hornady branded IIRC, then a GemPro 250 (excellent) then A&D FX120i (totally excellent). I can't imagine upgrading beyond the A&D, but I would not be happy going back to a cheaper scale if it fails on me. 

The GemPro 250 hit our reloading range perfectly. It's a shame it was discontinued. I suspect the GemPro 300 would be a little better than the "reloading" scales, but probably not by a lot.

Whatever scale you buy, use the check weights and follow the calibration process if it has one. That is how I knew the cheap scale was total crap and how I found my RCBS was failing after many years of reliable service.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down