Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry fire drills

3 posters

Go down

Dry fire drills Empty Dry fire drills

Post by Bestdentist99 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:24 am

We all know the importance of dry fire, and have read countless articles on the benefits of doing it. In all the articles I’ve read I’ve not seen anything mentioning an exact technique (step by step sequence ) on doing it.
 My question is: do you go through an entire shot process with each dry fire shot (all commands, breathing, etc) as if taking a live shot?
Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

Dry fire drills Empty Re: Dry fire drills

Post by handcycle Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:46 am

Bestdentist99 wrote:We all know the importance of dry fire, and have read countless articles on the benefits of doing it. In all the articles I’ve read I’ve not seen anything mentioning an exact technique (step by step sequence ) on doing it.
 My question is: do you go through an entire shot process with each dry fire shot (all commands, breathing, etc) as if taking a live shot?
Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Yes, definitely going thru' the whole process, as if you're doing a live fire session:
Stance, breathing, proper sight picture hold, trigger release & follow thru' ( don't miss this part )
That's what we were thought many years ago shooting 10-meter CO2 airguns - good discipline & habits for bullseye competition.
This is to build (trigger) muscle memory.
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:23 am

Do you want to practice or train?

If you are satisfied with all the parts of your shot process then practice by focusing on following your entire shot process when dryfiring.

If you are not satisfied with all the parts of your shot process, then train by focusing on just that one part that you wish to improve (decreasing time to operate the trigger, trigger press straight to the rear, equal and consistent grip throughout the shot process, complete front sight focus, focus on wobble to see the pattern, etc. etc.)  The focus is not the flow but monitoring the one thing you want to improve on in your shot process for that session. (But do not hold on a target without completing the trigger.  You can do holding drills on training targets or blank target / wall.) 

In any event; when dryfiring establish a goal for that session, write it down, review your performance (how well did you do keeping to your goal, feelings, etc.).  It's kinda like shooting a match, except you're not keeping score; you're tracking how well you consistently did that one thing.  If you are just holding up the gun and jerking the trigger without any goal or focus on improving something; then you might as well go to the gym because its just muscle exercise and ingraining some things you may not want to do. 

CR

CR10X

Orion, Ed Hall, chopper and handcycle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bestdentist99 Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:53 am

Excellent advice.
Thank you!

Bestdentist99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content