Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to reloading for lead bullets - questions

5 posters

Go down

New to reloading for lead bullets - questions Empty New to reloading for lead bullets - questions

Post by mutley Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm

I have not loaded lead (i.e. no jacketed) bullets before.  I think I get the differences when reloading lead bullets but hoping someone can answer some questions that'll fill in a few gaps.  I'm looking mostly at the Roze / Zero bullets as a frame of reference.

1. Is there any prep work that must be done to the bullet prior to reloading or are they ready to go right from the factory?
  2. The little wax ring on the bottom... it that necessary?  I ask because it seems like I see lead bullets with and without it.  Maybe it has to be added by the reloader if not present on the bullet?
  3. What is "leading"?  Sounds like that's just excess lead depositing in the barrel from hot loads?
  4. What is meant when they say "swagged" lead bullet?
  5. I noticed the diameter is slightly larger on lead bullets (i.e .452 vs .451 for 45s).  Is that so it gets a tighter seal?
  6. I've read where people say you need to flare the case mouth out more to accept a lead bullet otherwise, it shaves the lead.  Can that be done with a standard expansion die or is a wider expander needed?

mutley

Back to top Go down

New to reloading for lead bullets - questions Empty Re: New to reloading for lead bullets - questions

Post by BE Mike Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:20 pm

1. No bullet prep work.
2. I assume you are talking about the lubrication. Yes, lead bullets need lubrication.
3. Leading is the deposit left in the barrel and may be the result from "hot loads", improper sizing or a "light load" where the bullet doesn't seal well in the bore.
4. Swaged bullets are made by compressing the lead wire to form a bullet and therefore have no gaps. The lead used is generally softer than hard cast bullets, where the lead alloy that also contains tin and antimony is melted and poured into molds.
5. Yes
6. Yes you need to bell the case mouth a little more than for a jacketed bullet. All dies have enough tolerance to allow from zero to excessive belling. A case mouth should only be belled enough to accept the bullet without shaving lead.
BE Mike
BE Mike

sayracin likes this post

Back to top Go down

New to reloading for lead bullets - questions Empty Re: New to reloading for lead bullets - questions

Post by Steve in MI Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Mike types faster than I do.

My opinions.

1 Ready to go from factory
2 Assuming you mean the lube in a groove in the bullet yes it is necessary.  One type is those with a ring of lubricant.  Another type is what I call tumble lubed.  The bullet is tumbled to give it a coating of lubricant.
3 Leading is a build up of lead in the barrel.  Can be cause by bullet that or too small also.
4 Swagged are bullets that a piece of lead it put in a die that under pressure forms the bullet vs bullets cast in a mold with molten lead.
5 Yes sorta.  Lead is softer and if the bullet doesn't fit the bore tightly gas can flow past (causing leading and or inaccuracy).  Others may explain this better.
6 Depends.  My 45 acp dies work just fine.  For 9mm I had to get a larger expander.  Part of the problem with the 9mm was the case swaging the bullet.

Steve in MI

sayracin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Exactly what I needed!  Thanks Mike and Steve!

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:58 pm

I would add HiTek coated lead bullets. The coating on the surface of the lead bullets acts as a lube. I believe Hitek coated bullets start as hard cast, and not swaged. As for belling the case, the same applies. You need enough bell so that bullet's base gets a smooth entry, so as not to shave the coating off. Brazos, Bayou and others make excellent, very accurate Hi Tek coated lead bullets.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:20 pm

Concur with the hi-tek comments. My wad gun loves the 155gr Missouri bullets with 4.3gr of N310 and a .466 crimp.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down