Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there!

+2
john bickar
Jon Eulette
6 posters

Go down

Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there! Empty Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there!

Post by Jon Eulette 5/12/2022, 9:34 pm

1969 Colt 38 Super converted by Clark in 5/69 to 38 special. Unfortunately barrel got bulged Sad
Thankfully I have some great friends out there and just received a NEW Colt 38 Special Kit Gun barrel to replace the bulged barrel Smile

I’m a grateful man! This time the barrel is going to be fit as it should have been in the first place….
Old barrel 0.550” diameter, new barrel is 0.497”.
Jon 
Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there! 8d509b10
Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there! B1ca7410
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

troystaten, Sc0, orpheoet, bmize1 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there! Empty Re: Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there!

Post by john bickar 5/12/2022, 11:22 pm

Don't know when the barrel got bulged, but it's a good reminder: whenever things go "hincty," STOP.

Put the gun down. Run an ECI or cleaning rod all the way through the barrel.

I just did this the other night at league with a friend, and we both agreed it was a good idea.

Sound advice 50 years ago; sound advice now.
john bickar
john bickar

Jon Eulette, chopper, dieselguy624, Hawkja and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there! Empty Re: Glorious Day…..Jewels are still out there!

Post by Jon Eulette 5/12/2022, 11:32 pm

Amen Brother John!
Over the last 30 years of building guns, I have had four shooters bulge the barrel the first time they shot their brand new pistol I built.
This one was bummer day for the 38 owner.
What’s interesting, is I shoot a lot at night using headlights on the target. So when the pistols fire I see muzzle flash. I have had some questionable charges that the muzzle flash was light and the recoil extremely light. When I checked the bore all the bullets had cleared, but I was really surprised. We can never be too safe.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

ric1911a1, chopper and Foundryratjim like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/13/2022, 9:03 am

john bickar wrote:Don't know when the barrel got bulged, but it's a good reminder: whenever things go "hincty," STOP.

Put the gun down. Run an ECI or cleaning rod all the way through the barrel.

I just did this the other night at league with a friend, and we both agreed it was a good idea.

Sound advice 50 years ago; sound advice now.
On a similar note, when I bought my first really good wad gun, it came with an EIC that went the entire length of the barrel and a squib rod. Loosing a few points at a match is far better than ruining a gunsmiths hard work.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 5/13/2022, 9:10 am

I bulged the barrel on my first decent 1911, a gold cup. Was firing. on a loud line with others and couldn’t hear or feel the difference (not a be shooter back then) Never to repeat that mistake!

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 5/13/2022, 12:49 pm

Had you tested the original barrel? Sometimes they still shoot

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/13/2022, 1:18 pm

Wouldn’t shoot or own a bulged barrel gun!!!
Gun Snob lol
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WSR32 5/13/2022, 2:40 pm

A friend of mine recommended loading a round with just a primer and no bullet or powder so I would know what a bad load feels like. I have yet to do it as I am just working up my first loads but there are five empty casings with primers ready for my next range session.

M

WSR32

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 5/14/2022, 6:50 pm

Doesn't KKM make them?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/14/2022, 7:42 pm

Yes KKM makes a 38 barrel, but a 1969 Colt should have a Colt Kit Gun barrel if possible. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum