Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

+5
Lamar H
NukeMMC
james r chapman
mspingeld
Bestdentist99
9 posters

Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by Bestdentist99 Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:27 pm

What is your 185 gr Zero JHP COL in 45 ACP loads?
Thank you.

Bestdentist99

Posts : 93
Join date : 2017-01-06

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by mspingeld Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:28 pm

1.205"

mspingeld

Posts : 750
Join date : 2014-04-19
Age : 62
Location : New Jersey

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by Bestdentist99 Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:30 am

Thank you.

Bestdentist99

Posts : 93
Join date : 2017-01-06

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by james r chapman Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:10 pm

+\- .005
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 5718
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 74
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by NukeMMC Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:07 pm

james r chapman wrote:+\- .005
Zero 185 gr JHP COL question 3064385617
0.469-0.470" crimp
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Posts : 301
Join date : 2018-10-12

Bubba Blaster and valbern67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Zero 185gr col question

Post by Lamar H Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:25 pm

Do you  use same specs for Hornady 185 gr JHP?
If so what powder & and charge would be a soft
shooting load? I have Bullseye,TG,WST,#231&Clays.
Just one month less than a year of open heart
surgery DR said I could start 45 with light loads
two handed at 50'&75"
One 0ther question do you push on nose or use a seater
that pushes on the side?
I do have a soft load for my lead 185 Stars just wanted
to The Hornady as I have never shot JHP
Sorry for long post
Thanks
Lamar H

Lamar H

Posts : 39
Join date : 2016-10-29
Age : 84
Location : Acworth, GA

Lamar H likes this post

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi Lamar, I load the XTP after getting bad batches of zero and nosler in the peak of covid.

These cycle my Pardini GT 6" with an ultradot2 on top

185gr Hornady XTP
1.225" COAL
4.25gr VV N310 for short line, 4.5 for long (there are many threads that compare proper BE vs N310 weight - it's pretty close IIRC)
0.469" taper crimp
Winchester Large Pistol Primer

I have also played with the 200gr and 230gr XTP. I like the 200gr XTP at 25 yards and I have a B16 center shot in a match with 3 Xs and 3 solid 10s so I think it's still as accurate as the gun and more accurate than I am

200gr Hornady XTP
1.235" COAL
4.05gr VV N310 for short line
0.469" taper crimp
Winchester large pistol primer
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Posts : 404
Join date : 2019-11-19
Location : USA

Lamar H likes this post

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 pm

The 185 load I measured with labradar at around 770fps btw, the slowest I could get the gun to run reliably with the dot on the slide, sometimes with the case seeminglyrolling down my trigger finger onto the table. With my iron sight slide it throws the brass much further.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Posts : 404
Join date : 2019-11-19
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by james r chapman Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:28 am

Lamar H wrote:Do you  use same specs for Hornady 185 gr JHP?
If so what powder & and charge would be a soft
shooting load? I have Bullseye,TG,WST,#231&Clays.
Just one month less than a year of open heart
surgery DR said I could start 45 with light loads
two handed at 50'&75"
One 0ther question do you push on nose or use a seater
that pushes on the side?
I do have a soft load for my lead 185 Stars just wanted
to The Hornady as I have never shot JHP
Sorry for long post
Thanks
Lamar H

The Hornady 185 jhp is an excellent bullet!
You have to load it slightly longer because the bearing surface is shorter.
About 1.230 as I recall. To shallow and the crimp will force the bullet into the case.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 5718
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 74
Location : HELL, Michigan

Lamar H likes this post

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Zero 185gr COL question

Post by Lamar H Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks SINGLEACTIONANDREW & JIM for your reply.
I loaded some with 4.2 WST to try as I like the feel over
Bullseye. Will see how it goes.
Thanks again
Lamar H

Lamar H

Posts : 39
Join date : 2016-10-29
Age : 84
Location : Acworth, GA

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by Allgoodhits Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Lamar H wrote:Thanks SINGLEACTIONANDREW & JIM for your reply.
I loaded some with 4.2 WST to try as I like the feel over
Bullseye. Will see how it goes.
Thanks again
Lamar H
4.2 - 4.6 gr WST is a good load in my guns when using the ZERO 185 JHP-C or the Nosler 185 JHP. Note that ZERO makes two 185 JHP bullets. I think the JHP-C is the catalog 187 and the JHP is catalog 185. I get best results with the 185 JHP-C bullets #187. They are most similar to the shape of the Nosler 185 JHP. I think these are points worth clarifying.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Posts : 709
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by BE Mike Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:05 am

Again, Dave Salyer and Al Doorman developed the "Marine Load" using the Nosler 185 gr. JHP. Dave told me that the COAL was found not to be critical in regards to accuracy. Of course, it must be short enough to function in your magazines. I don't remember exactly, but I think they settled on 1.25 COAL for the Nosler 185 gr. JHP in the 45 ACP cartridge.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Posts : 2181
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by SmokinNJokin Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:18 am

For zero 185 jhp, i use 1.215”. Copied from zero factory match ammo that shoots 1” in my gun. .472” (straight wall) crimp.

SmokinNJokin

Posts : 751
Join date : 2015-07-27
Location : Pembroke, KY

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by NukeMMC Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:16 pm

BE Mike wrote:Again, Dave Salyer and Al Doorman developed the "Marine Load" using the Nosler 185 gr. JHP. Dave told me that the COAL was found not to be critical in regards to accuracy. Of course, it must be short enough to function in your magazines. I don't remember exactly, but I think they settled on 1.25 COAL for the Nosler 185 gr. JHP in the 45 ACP cartridge.
According to the SSUSA article, the Dorman/Lawless load was:

The Dorman load was put together on a Dillon progressive press using: New Winchester primed brass, trimmed to a consistent length; the relatively new Nosler 185 grain JHP; 4.1 grains of Vihtavuori N310 to a loaded cartridge overall length of 1.20”.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Posts : 301
Join date : 2018-10-12

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by BE Mike Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:04 pm

NukeMMC wrote:
BE Mike wrote:Again, Dave Salyer and Al Doorman developed the "Marine Load" using the Nosler 185 gr. JHP. Dave told me that the COAL was found not to be critical in regards to accuracy. Of course, it must be short enough to function in your magazines. I don't remember exactly, but I think they settled on 1.25 COAL for the Nosler 185 gr. JHP in the 45 ACP cartridge.
According to the SSUSA article, the Dorman/Lawless load was:

The Dorman load was put together on a Dillon progressive press using: New Winchester primed brass, trimmed to a consistent length; the relatively new Nosler 185 grain JHP; 4.1 grains of Vihtavuori N310 to a loaded cartridge overall length of 1.20”.
The article does say that the Marines got the same accuracy with once fired Winchester brass. Dave Salyer told me about the VV N310 powder, but said that they found the Alliant Bullseye load was close to the accuracy obtained with VV in their machine rest tests.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Posts : 2181
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Zero 185 gr JHP COL question Empty Re: Zero 185 gr JHP COL question

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum