Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another potential gun box builder

+3
SonOfSwede
Al
10sandxs
7 posters

Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 7/15/2022, 9:38 am

I built one if these for myself a few years ago and now my brother wants one. Panels are 1/4" plywood, but lighter weight composite panels could be/have been used as well. Box is 13x18x15 high. The one I built holds six guns on one side if the tray but I built the fingers specifically for my guns so I'd say 5 comfortably.

Fun part is the laminate can be swapped out to what ever color/pattern you can find. This one is from scrap that my cabinet buddy had laying arround. 

This one weighs about 10 lbs as pictured and should finish out under 15. Got some fastener work to do, but comming allong nicely. Another potential gun box builder 20220710
Another potential gun box builder 20220711

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

Steve B, Sc0, toddcfii and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty New box

Post by Al 7/15/2022, 8:19 pm

10sandxs wrote:I built one if these for myself a few years ago and now my brother wants one. Panels are 1/4" plywood, but lighter weight composite panels could be/have been used as well. Box is 13x18x15 high. The one I built holds six guns on one side if the tray but I built the fingers specifically for my guns so I'd say 5 comfortably.

Fun part is the laminate can be swapped out to what ever color/pattern you can find. This one is from scrap that my cabinet buddy had laying arround. 

This one weighs about 10 lbs as pictured and should finish out under 15. Got some fastener work to do, but comming allong nicely. Another potential gun box builder 20220710
Another potential gun box builder 20220711
Very nice job there Rob. 
Al

Al

Posts : 595
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 67
Location : Bismarck, ND

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by SonOfSwede 7/16/2022, 3:07 pm

10sandXs

Would you be willing to share your source for the edge and corner extrusions. 

Thank you,

SonOfSwede

Posts : 30
Join date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by RodJ 7/17/2022, 8:34 pm

SonOfSwede wrote:10sandXs

Would you be willing to share your source for the edge and corner extrusions. 

Thank you,

Here’s a source (YouTube video) not as clean but an option

https://youtu.be/tssHWplikfE

RodJ

Posts : 280
Join date : 2021-06-26

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 7/18/2022, 6:50 am

SonOfSwede wrote:10sandXs

Would you be willing to share your source for the edge and corner extrusions. 

Thank you,
Sure for $100...

Just kidding. I'm using the "n Case 2" system from Penn Elcom. 

https://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=02030101&LG=EN 

This system is similar to "road cases" but allows for a much cleaner construction. It also allows for thinner, quarter inch panels where most road cases use thicker (heavier) panels. There are some quarter inch panel systems out there, but they don't have corner connectors so you have to be very precise with a double angle miter cut. And finish with a ball corner. Possible, but a PITA, Been there, done that, ain't going back..

The rivets, latches, handles, drawer slides, hinge, handle, drawer, gun holders, panels, etc. Come from various places, Google can help here as I can't remember them all, and there are lots of options.

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by SonOfSwede 7/18/2022, 7:27 am

Thank you

SonOfSwede

Posts : 30
Join date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by troystaten 7/21/2022, 6:30 pm

Nicely done, since Strong case stopped making their boxes I have not seen much out there.

troystaten

Posts : 679
Join date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 8/4/2022, 11:36 pm

"Finished" the box. The gun holders are high quality 3d prints. I'm playing with the design a little, but they are swappable to fit different guns if needed.  There is some interference between Ultradots and aimpoint 9000s, but there is plenty of room to expand the holders and still have space for 5 scoped guns on the same side. Dimensions are 18.5x16x13 give or take a bit.

If there is interest, I'll build to order and sell for $375+shipping.  I also have ways to get them to phoenix for the midwinter and to nationals to save freight costs.

Panel color can be selected at the time of build. If you have question or want to discuss. Feel free to pm me.

Another potential gun box builder 20220810
Another potential gun box builder 20220811
Another potential gun box builder 20220812Another potential gun box builder 20220813
Another potential gun box builder 20220814

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by troystaten 8/5/2022, 12:03 am

Nicely done, my only suggestion would be a built in captured screw that holds the box lid open so you don't need a spring clamp.  My Strongcase has that feature.

troystaten

Posts : 679
Join date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by SingleActionAndrew 8/5/2022, 8:41 am

For what it's worth, having locking latches was a key criteria for me. It makes things simpler i.e. I can Fully pack my box the evening before the match and then sleep at night without worrying about pistols & ammo being easily accessible.

A spotting scope mount inside and maybe brackets to carry the CMM brass catcher on the outside.

Handle and strap hoops

Looks great and with these features I'd be more interested
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Posts : 298
Join date : 2019-11-19
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 8/5/2022, 9:16 am

troystaten wrote:Nicely done, my only suggestion would be a built in captured screw that holds the box lid open so you don't need a spring clamp.  My Strongcase has that feature.
 Yes, that's the plan just hasn't been installed yet

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 8/5/2022, 10:48 am

SingleActionAndrew wrote:For what it's worth, having locking latches was a key criteria for me. It makes things simpler i.e. I can Fully pack my box the evening before the match and then sleep at night without worrying about pistols & ammo being easily accessible.

A spotting scope mount inside and maybe brackets to carry the CMM brass catcher on the outside.

Handle and strap hoops

Looks great and with these features I'd be more interested
The handle is installed, the strap rings aren't... yet. hence the quotation marks arround "finished" ;-)

Anything's possible for the right price. Retorically speaking, would you be willing to pay an extra $150 for scope mount, brackets, and locking latches? how about custom storage bins for the unused side of the shelf or alteraltive sizes? the list goes on, but this was where I started. 

The initial goal was to see  if I could build a lighter weight, durable box at a reasonable price point. There's very little that I would consider "new" on this box, just a differet way of putting together things I've seen/used on other boxes. I don't know if I'll sell any and if I don't, no worries, as I still have a day job.  If it gives others an "out of the box" path and they go build thier own, great.  I'm happy to share knowledge.

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

troystaten and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by SingleActionAndrew 8/5/2022, 12:21 pm

10sandxs wrote:

Anything's possible for the right price. Retorically speaking, would you be willing to pay an extra $150 for scope mount, brackets, and locking latches? how about custom storage bins for the unused side of the shelf or alteraltive sizes? the list goes on, but this was where I started. 

I paid $50 for my current scope mount and would gladly pay the other $100 to mount my brass catcher to my bullseye box so I'm not worried about swinging the base right through the glass doors at the indoor range. BUT...

My perception of the market is that a box without the features I mentioned runs ~$225. Add the $150 you mention and that brings us to your reference price. Since I already have a box, it needs to be really compelling to spend $500+. Maybe offering 3d printing of holders to my specific guns...
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Posts : 298
Join date : 2019-11-19
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by RoyDean 8/5/2022, 4:34 pm

Small issue - if the box is for a right handed shooter - the guns need to be located with the muzzles pointing "down range"  to the right when the box is opened.

I tried creating a gun holder for multiple guns for one of my box iterations - but if you have guns with anatomical grips and palm rests, the only practical way is to alternate the direction of the muzzle so that the guns "nest".

I personally hate seeing gun muzzles pointing at me and - depending on how pedantic one is at rule reading - it is probably against the rules.

A year ago at Canton, the shooter to my left had a Pelican type case with guns pointing at me, magazines in, slides closed - I did not like that!

RoyDean

Posts : 327
Join date : 2021-03-31

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by 10sandxs 8/5/2022, 5:01 pm

RoyDean wrote:Small issue - if the box is for a right handed shooter - the guns need to be located with the muzzles pointing "down range"  to the right when the box is opened.

I tried creating a gun holder for multiple guns for one of my box iterations - but if you have guns with anatomical grips and palm rests, the only practical way is to alternate the direction of the muzzle so that the guns "nest".

I personally hate seeing gun muzzles pointing at me and - depending on how pedantic one is at rule reading - it is probably against the rules.

A year ago at Canton, the shooter to my left had a Pelican type case with guns pointing at me, magazines in, slides closed - I did not like that!
The box is symmetric so you can out the guns on the otherside of the tray the same way.

10sandxs

Posts : 630
Join date : 2016-01-29

Back to top Go down

Another potential gun box builder Empty Re: Another potential gun box builder

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum