Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield Armory slide stop

5 posters

Go down

Springfield Armory slide stop Empty Springfield Armory slide stop

Post by faraim 7/29/2022, 10:01 am

Since Springfield Armory Range Officers are popular as starter guns for those entering our sport, I'd like to share a concern with you all. I have a Range Officer and a Ronin, and both of the factory slide stops have casting marks or flash on the pins. This is prominent enough to press grooves in the front and rear of the holes in the receiver where the slide stop is inserted. More importantly, the lower barrel lugs have grooves pressed into them by the slide stop. This could be a weak spot and it certainly affects the barrel lock up. If any of you have one of these cast slide stops, I suggest you replace them with machined parts or file your factory pins to a round profile.
faraim
faraim

wizzer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Springfield Armory slide stop Empty Re: Springfield Armory slide stop

Post by NukeMMC 7/29/2022, 7:57 pm

I replaced mine in my 9 and my 45 ROs with EGW .200". Replaced the hammer, disconnector, sear, barrel bushing and thumb safety with EGW also. Quality parts, fit right, make it quite a decent pistol at a competitive price.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 7/29/2022, 9:55 pm

I put a 203 in my A-1. Had to hone a few tenths out of the right side of the frame to get it in. Left was good as is, which is an indication of how loose it was with the original SS.

And needed a longer link. I think. Tightened it up a lot more than I expected. I'd already put an angle bored bushing in it. Feels pretty solid now.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/24/2023, 2:48 pm

faraim wrote:........I have a Range Officer and a Ronin, and both of the factory slide stops have casting marks or flash on the pins. This is prominent enough to press grooves in the front and rear of the holes in the receiver where the slide stop is inserted. More importantly, the lower barrel lugs have grooves pressed into them by the slide stop. This could be a weak spot and it certainly affects the barrel lock up. If any of you have one of these cast slide stops, I suggest you replace them with machined parts or file your factory pins to a round profile.
I just found this while searching on how to add the "notch" to the slide stop to make it easier to re-install.

Do you have a photo of what to look for?  Is this something only a gunsmith should attempt?  

What do I look at to see if I have this problem on my new gun?

I suspect I should just send the gun off to Dave Salyer, and let him work his magic on it......
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/24/2023, 3:09 pm

Jut order a new slide stop pin from EGW. It will already have the notch in it, as well as being a machined pin rather than the original MIM pin.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/24/2023, 3:44 pm

DA/SA wrote:Jut order a new slide stop pin from EGW.....
Thank you - I just got off the phone with Brandon Gnau at EGW.
The replacement slide stop pin is now on order.

Again - Thanks!!!!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down