Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger MKII Target Project

+5
BE Mike
shooter1450
RoyDean
Sa-tevp
Tim:H11
9 posters

Go down

Ruger MKII Target Project Empty Ruger MKII Target Project

Post by Tim:H11 8/21/2022, 8:48 pm

This has been a side project of mine for a while. The end goal is to have two guns, one dot, and one iron sighted, that feel very close to one another in the grip and trigger. I’ve done a little bit of work here and there when I can. I’m not completely done yet. I picked up the dot sighted gun today. It was relined by Sams and test targets show it shoots well. The iron sighted gun hasn’t been machine tested yet, but I don’t see a need. I shoot it well from the hand. Shots are on call. Both guns are Ruger MKII Target Models. 

The iron sighted gun received a new rear sight, and trigger work. The dot sighted gun had iron sights with its optic mount but I removed them, and rearranged the optic mount so I can set the optic further back on the gun. The dot gun still needs trigger work. I have yet to decide on a set of grips for these guns. It is entirely possible I will use factory grips. Or some sort of slab side grips with some bite to them. 

Ruger MKII Target Project 23608d10

Jack H, Hawkja, Arthur, chiz1180 and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Ruger MKII Target Project Empty Re: Ruger MKII Target Project

Post by Sa-tevp 8/21/2022, 9:47 pm

A suggestion for grips is smooth metal with skateboard or tread tape laid on. After a season or two the tape can be replaced/renewed. The same tape can be applied to the front and backstraps.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger-grips/mkiii/aluminum/ruger-mk-ii-mkiii-aluminum-matte-black-anodized

You may also want to make a blast shield to keep the trigger mechanism smooth after fifty or so shots: https://guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1175 http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/11/ruger-mkii-blast-shield.html

Stephen
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 8/22/2022, 12:50 am

Jason, I have also been working up a pair of Ruger's, except I chose Mark IV 22/45's. One dot, one iron. I am surprised to find that there are very few aftermarket grip options, and what are available are surprisingly expensive. First choice would be Sharkskins (same as what I use on my 1911's), but not available AFAIK.

I guess that I will be forced to sand some aftermarkets slabs down, then try to replicate sharkskin texture with a Dremel or possibly a soldering iron. Whew!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Ruger MKII Target Project Empty Ruger 22/45 grips

Post by shooter1450 8/22/2022, 5:18 am

1911 slabs fit Mk III 22/45 with a small modification at the slide release.
shooter1450
shooter1450

knightimac and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/22/2022, 5:23 am

I like the grip tape on smooth slab sides option that Stephen recommended. They will be easy to accomplish. They could also be sanded down or built up with spacers for preferred thickness. Aside from grips and trigger these gun are almost done. However.. I am also toying with a barrel weight option. Having the bottom of the barrel milled for a slot, steel weights added that slide in and set screws hood them in place. That’ll be a final aspect to explore.

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/22/2022, 6:41 am

I always thought that these Clark grips looked interesting for slant grip Ruger MK pistols. The price is right! https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/clark-mark-ii-grips/
BE Mike
BE Mike

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/22/2022, 7:42 am

BE Mike wrote:I always thought that these Clark grips looked interesting for slant grip Ruger MK pistols. The price is right! https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/clark-mark-ii-grips/

I have a set of those. I wasn’t crazy about them when I tried them. I was at first but then I quickly grew to see they were odd for my size hand. I kept them to try again at a later date just for kicks. I really think some form of slab sides will be what I go with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkja 8/22/2022, 9:26 am

I have two Clark Ruger MKII's that I dearly love. The iron Sight one was customized in 1989, the one with optics was worked on in 2017 (close to when CCG stopped working on the Ruger .22's). They both shoot excellent, and have great triggers.

I have tried a variety of grips. The Clark 22/45, Randall Fung, various sets of Ruger grips, Precision Target grips etc.. For me the slab Ruger grips produce the best results. I have tried to find Shark Skin grips and Lava Grips for the MKII's but have had no luck. Andrew fron Precision Grips will make a grip similar to the Shark Skin, and his grips are good.

Clark did wonderful things with the Ruger pistols, but the best Ruger I have shot is a Ruger MKII Governmet Model with a Jon Eulette trigger job this pistol is in the "pry out of my cold dead hands" class!

Jason

Hawkja

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bufcreek 8/31/2022, 10:14 pm

great project! I did the same with 22/45. It was easier getting grips, as I used the frames that take 1911 grips.

bufcreek

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/1/2022, 1:49 am

Jason, I tried a lot of grips.I even carved up a set of Volquartsen trying for the right feel. I found these Hogues and quit looking. Not very expensive.Ruger MKII Target Project 20190212
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/1/2022, 1:56 am

Ruger MKII Target Project Screen29
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/1/2022, 4:08 am

On MkII I have settled pretty much on the factory black plastic panel on the right, and the laminated thumbrest grip on the left.  Roddy stipples on the front and back.  Or tread tape front and back. 

For your iron sight Ruger, you really need this one
Ruger MKII Target Project Ruger2
It has Roddy stipples, but at that time, not the grip I mentioned.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down