Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radar Guns for Pistol Velocities

+3
jglenn21
john bickar
Orion
7 posters

Go down

Radar Guns for Pistol Velocities Empty Radar Guns for Pistol Velocities

Post by Orion 10/27/2022, 11:23 pm

I am looking for a radar gun to test bullet velocities for pistols. The lab radar is too expensive for my use. Can you provide recommendations? Thanks
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Radar Guns for Pistol Velocities Empty Re: Radar Guns for Pistol Velocities

Post by john bickar 10/28/2022, 12:29 am

I think you're looking for a chronograph, of which "Shooting Chrony" is a pretty reputable entry-level brand. Try searching for "chronograph" at MidwayUSA. (And I apologize if I'm misreading your question.)

I'm not aware of other "radar" systems than Labrador Labradar. I will say that Labradar is a "buy once, cry once" investment. That and stainless-steel wet tumbling have been two things I've been really happy with spending the money on within the past decade (aside from guns and ammo).
john bickar
john bickar

Caster3845 and 10sandxs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/28/2022, 5:31 am

We've been very happy with the basic Caldwell chronograph for several years. Very consistant. So far no bullet holes  Smile
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/28/2022, 6:13 am

I have no experience with any of the inexpensive sports radar guns, but I doubt they will work with bullets. The ones I've looked at don't go over 300 mph or about 450 fps and I suspect their noise filters would ignore the small signal and high speed of a bullet.

That said, if you give them a try, please share the results, good or bad.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 10/28/2022, 11:50 pm

Are any of these chronographs compatible with indoor range use? I don’t have the ability to set a chronograph more than 3ft from a shooting stance.
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/29/2022, 12:15 am

Orion wrote:Are any of these chronographs compatible with indoor range use? I don’t have the ability to set a chronograph more than 3ft from a shooting stance.
For indoor range use, the best is the Labradar.  A Magnetospeed can work too, but I’ve found velocities below 650 to be problematic in erratic reading.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

10sandxs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/29/2022, 12:16 am

Duplicate
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/29/2022, 5:17 am

Yes the older caldwell we have has a optional light kit for indoor use that works perfectly. Folks have also simply added led lights to the std. Unit and that works too. I have not seen the newer G2 unit so can't commnent on it.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 10/29/2022, 9:37 am

Orion wrote:Are any of these chronographs compatible with indoor range use? I don’t have the ability to set a chronograph more than 3ft from a shooting stance.
Pact and others make low light kits. They do require a power source. Mine has different screens to be used when using in low light conditions.

Most chronographs work best if screens are about 10 ft in front of muzzle. Labradar may be the best option for you. Maybe go in with someone else to buy one.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 10/29/2022, 5:58 pm

Remember the Labradar interpolates the downrange data to get a MV since the velocity vs time (or distance) deceleration curve is smooth. You must have 4 or 5 good measurements downrange to get a good MV interpolation. Two points is not enough. The Labradar give you the opportunity to select the measurement distances, but I don't feel its particularly accurate indoors at 50'. At 50 yards? Yes...I can get 4 points spread 10 yards apart so I have confidence in my MV values. IIRC, a radar gun, however, does not interpolate "downrange" values back to the gun itself. That's a big source of error. It would be interesting to compare the two side by side.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down