Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crimp ladder?

3 posters

Go down

crimp - Crimp ladder?  Empty Crimp ladder?

Post by Merick 11/21/2022, 4:45 am

It is not the easiest thing, but not impossible, to drag my press out to the range so I can test a couple shots, turn in the die and test a couple more.

If you were going to conduct an effective and efficient search/test for the optimum crimp dimension, how would you go about it?

Merick

Back to top Go down

crimp - Crimp ladder?  Empty Re: Crimp ladder?

Post by Wobbley 11/21/2022, 6:04 am

I’d test (lead bullets) at .469, .466, and .463. Shoot at least 3 ten shot groups.  Take the best and adjust +/- .002 again using 3 ten shot groups….

However, if your gun doesn’t shoot a 10 ring size group (or an X sized group at 25) fooling with the crimp only wastes time.  You have to train A LOT so you need a gun and ammo that shoots well rather than fool with finding the “sweet deal”
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Bubba Blaster and Pinetree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 11/21/2022, 6:54 am

Proving to myself it doesn't matter all that much may be as psychologically helpful as finding the golden bullet load, and fooling with this ransom rest test stuff is a okay use of the off season while I otherwise work through tendonitis exercises and am not shooting.

My tentative plan was to shoot 2 or 3 bullets and turn the die a bit until either something good happened, or I covered the plausible range (for jacketed; 472-465?)

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/21/2022, 7:54 am

Jacketed, I’d test .471 and .469 and choose which was best.  I’m not convinced that crimp matters as much with jacketed.  Just ,are sure all the rounds chamber.  

Statistically you can’t tell much with 5 shots and 3 shots are meaningless.  17 rounds is the minimum which is why I recommend 3 ten shot groups.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

SteveT, Bubba Blaster and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 11/21/2022, 8:10 am

If it's nfg I'll probably know in 2 shots.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/21/2022, 8:55 am

Crimp doesn’t matter at 25 yds. I personally have not noticed a difference in group size. 50 yds it definitely matters, but we’d all be surprised to see how much variation we can use and still get the good groups. So if your not grouping at 25 I don’t think that the crimp size is the issue. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down