Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front Strap Checkering

+7
troystaten
Ed Hall
John Dervis
Dcforman
Al
Greg Walloch
mikemyers
11 posters

Go down

Front Strap Checkering Empty Front Strap Checkering

Post by mikemyers 1/16/2023, 7:38 pm

Do you guys consider front strap checkering (either machined, or with "skateboard tape") to be useful, or just a "gimmick".

How much of a difference does it make with light bullseye loads (if any)?

Should we be having it done when we get a gun, and if it isn't there, is "skateboard tape" useful?

(I tried to find an existing thread on this, but couldn't.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Front Strap Checkering Empty Re: Front Strap Checkering

Post by Greg Walloch 1/16/2023, 8:10 pm

IMHO it’s pretty important.  You don’t want the gun moving in your hand, and checkering, stippling or skateboard tape all minimize movement.

Additionally, I don’t remember in my 40+ years of Bullseye ever seeing a top shooter NOT having something on the front strap.  That says something.

Greg Walloch

BE Mike and ric1911a1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 1/16/2023, 8:17 pm

Greg Walloch wrote:IMHO it’s pretty important.  You don’t want the gun moving in your hand, and checkering, stippling or skateboard tape all minimize movement.

Additionally, I don’t remember in my 40+ years of Bullseye ever seeing a top shooter NOT having something on the front strap.  That says something.
100% agreed. 
Aggressive skateboard tape will work just fine. I checkered mine because I totally tear down and submerse mine 2x / yr for cleaning and the glue on the tape would slip.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 1/16/2023, 9:09 pm

I actually prefer skateboard tape to checkering. 

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/16/2023, 9:21 pm

I just got my new/used Springfield Range Officer Target 9mm.  I was going to try it tomorrow just the way it comes, no checkering on the front strap, but from what you've all written, it now has skateboard tape. To be honest, the tape on the front feels like it grips my skin better than the checkering on the back.  Thanks for the advice.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/16/2023, 9:57 pm

Skateboard tape works really well for the grip texturing but I find that the glue fails eventually and you’ll have to replace it.  I sandwiched a piece under each of the grip panels to help hold it in place.  That technique will make it last longer but it will still need replacement eventually.  If you end up sending your gun to have it built up, that would be the time to add checkering. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/16/2023, 10:33 pm

I've gone the skateboard tape route and prefer it over checkering.  My favorite is tiger tooth stippling, but it needs to be done by a master craftsman.  One who can space it out and leave just a tad of barb at the very tip of each tooth.

Note that if you go the skateboard tape route, to help keep it from slipping you can lock the sides under the front edges of the grip panels. BUT, BE SURE to add the same amount of spacer (maybe some more of the tape) to the area around the screws and to the rear edge, so tightening the screws won't possibly split the panels.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 1/16/2023, 10:45 pm

I have skate board tape on my 1911 on the front but I do like stippling like the old school gunsmiths would do.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 1/17/2023, 5:56 am

I prefer stippling. The Navy pistol armorers used to do it with a pneumatic engraver. I do my own with a Power Custom frame support jig, 4oz ball-peen and drill rods that I have ground different points onto. It takes time and practice, but the feel is perfect FOR ME.
Do what YOU feel most comfortable and confident with.
Front Strap Checkering 16739510
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

chopper and jglenn21 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/17/2023, 8:51 am

NukeMMC wrote:..........Do what YOU feel most comfortable and confident with.
That answers it - skateboard tape, which can always be removed.  

My tape is from "Eden Products", which came in a long roll that I bought on Amazon.  They have lots of choices. 
If I ever do send the gun out for "work", maybe I'll get something better.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 1/17/2023, 9:00 am

I've had tiger tooth, checkered, and stippled front straps.  I much prefer stippling, but to each their own.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/17/2023, 9:35 am

I have tried a little bit of everything from grip tape, hand checkering, the old school stippling, varying aggressiveness of tigertooth stippling, and machine checkering. I have found that all are an improvement over a bare front strap. I also find that a more aggressive treatment is better if you are shooting in wet conditions. On the guns I have with grip tape I do end up replacing the tape regularly.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref 1/18/2023, 7:05 am

I do shoot better with something on the front strap to help with grip.
That being said, both of my guns have a Hogue grip which is an inexpensive way to achieve the same thing.
Midway used to sell an add-on panel which was held in place by the grips. That might be an option for you if they still sell them.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down