Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with rifle distinguished badge

+5
Wobbley
SteveT
Merick
shoot308
Wlw145s
9 posters

Go down

Help with rifle distinguished badge Empty Help with rifle distinguished badge

Post by Wlw145s 1/18/2023, 3:27 pm

I’m considering going down the rabbit hole to get a distinguished rifleman badge now that I have my pistol and .22 badges. Can someone recommend a website similar to bullseye encyclopedia to help me get started or any other resources that would be useful?

Wlw145s

Back to top Go down

Help with rifle distinguished badge Empty Re: Help with rifle distinguished badge

Post by shoot308 1/18/2023, 3:35 pm

www.usrifleteams.com/forums

shoot308

Al, lyoke, Merick and bihammond like this post

Back to top Go down

Help with rifle distinguished badge Empty Re: Help with rifle distinguished badge

Post by Merick 1/18/2023, 3:58 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Highpower-Competition-Randolph-Constantine/dp/1931220050/

* some of that is dated information from the m1/m1a days, but that aside it is the most complete book on service rifle as a sport.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/18/2023, 6:11 pm

+1 for usrifleteams.com. There is a LOT more politics and grandstanding but within it is a lot of good stuff.

Konrad Power Youtube Channel

Patrick McDonough Youtube Channel

Jim Owens Web Page and his books are excellent.

Where are you located? I am sure someone can recommend a local club or range with an active highpower program.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/18/2023, 11:44 pm

Are you on Facebook.? There are a couple of private groups there that I’d recommend you for.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 1/19/2023, 6:50 am

There are folks on this site (myself included) working towards DR who would be happy to answer questions. I'd suggest downloading a copy of the CMP HP rules. FWIW, I think equipment wise, it's a little more straightforward than pistol. Best of luck to you!

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 1/19/2023, 9:36 am

Rabbit hole indeed.
If you already have your pistol badge, you're halfway there. I have seen more pistol shooters leg out in rifle than vice versa. Trigger control is still the dominating fundamental, with construction of a good position running a fast second.
Just as you would build a good pistol shooting position, you do the same in rifle. Direct bone support, avoid muscling into a shot and natural point-of-aim are all prevalent in rifle shooting also.

The hardest education you will have will be doping wind at 600. Only 1 way to get that education and that is to get on the line with a GOOD wind coach and pay attention. I scored for the Army Reserve Rifle Team at the 91 Interservice 1000yd Service Rifle Team Match at Quantico. CW4 Billy Atkins was the coach. I got a priceless education in wind reading and adjustment that day.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wlw145s 1/19/2023, 4:15 pm

Thanks all, very helpful and a good starting point. I’ll begin digging in. We have a good club here in CO and a couple good coaches I can tap into too.

Wlw145s

Back to top Go down

Post by Single_handed 1/20/2023, 4:36 pm

Besides advice on fundamentals (I was told you only need to focus on two things for rifle. 1.) sight alignment 2. Trigger control, I say them over and over in my head, especially during offhand) dry fire training helped me more than almost anything. I had to overcome a lot of obstacles that nobody else before me had (I am a hand amputee and had to learn to shoot south paw).  But in dry firing I learned what I needed, what I didn’t, and what advice I had heard was useful to me. So I believe that fundamentals are key, but it’s not a one size fits all. Every shooter is a bit unique in their needs. Wether that be physical, mental or a combination. 
The CMP had books by the US AMU that were somewhat helpful as were Glen Zediker  book’s books “SLINGS & THINGS” and top grade Ammo. As well as David Tubb’s book High Power Rifle. It’s not about service specifically. But his views on position, equipment, loads and general approach helped me quite a bit.  

Also, 24.0 gns of Reloader 15 under a berger 80gn VLD (moly’s) seated .005” off the lands in lapua brass helped me tremendously. I can never compete with the top guys on my feet. But on my belly, I can hang!  Shot a lot of clean strings at the 600 with that load from Perry to Arizona. 
Respectfully,
S.H.
Single_handed
Single_handed

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 1/20/2023, 7:07 pm

Really a good goal to work towards. I went the other way DR in 2010 DP 2022. Reading and web sites are swell. I worked for a long time trying to learn on my own with a match rifle. Getting on the state team 2009 is what really moved me forward. Shooting with people who know and are happy to share information / coach is what will get you there. That and dry firing every night with South Park on. 
2 3 5 

Best,
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down