Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red dot question/advice

+6
RADJAG
rburk
SteveT
John Dervis
shoot308
CentralPA22
10 posters

Go down

Red dot question/advice Empty Red dot question/advice

Post by CentralPA22 Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:34 pm

Looking at purchasing a red dot for the local 22 rimfire league. Any thoughts on the Ultra dot match dot? Currently Shooting a Hawke Reflex dot. Thoughts/opinions? Thank you

CentralPA22

Back to top Go down

Red dot question/advice Empty Re: Red dot question/advice

Post by shoot308 Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:12 pm

Ultradot is pretty much the standard. Aimpoints are the top end but you pay for them in comparison.

shoot308

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CentralPA22 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 pm

Shooting a bullseye league

CentralPA22

CentralPA22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:03 pm

For the money, Ultradots are great. They are durable and reliable. I haven’t used dots in 10-12 years now but when I did, Ultradots were what I used as well as most everyone I knew.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:24 pm

The Matchdot is one of the heavier dots available. That can be good or bad depending on you.

As mentioned UltraDots were almost universal in Bullseye in the past. The Aimpoint Micro and the many knockoffs are making significant inroads so that maybe half the dots on the line are now UD and most of the rest are AP Micro's or look-alikes. A few people swear by Aimpoint 9000's, which are even heavier than the Matchdot.

The quality and battery life of real Aimpoints are very very good, but at a price 3-5 times higher than most of the other scopes.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:19 pm

I have a Sightron S30 on my model 41, it is fairly heavy.  So far it has been a good red dot.  It is advertised as a 5 moa dot, but it is more like a 2 moa dot.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:43 am

The roundest, clearest dot I have ever seen is in a 1" UD. The cheapest model, 4moa. But I had reliability problems, probably not UD's fault, and moved on.

I've tried just about every brand/type. At VERY significant expense. Not convinced that any of them are significantly better than that original 1" UD. Ho hum.

For a new entrant, a 1" UD is a great start. Make sure to locate the rings close to the body, not at the tube ends.

RADJAG

Vociferous and CentralPA22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:05 am

RADJAG wrote:The roundest, clearest dot I have ever seen is in a 1" UD. 
You are lucky. All my UD have some level of distortion. Most have a slightly negative magnification and less than perfectly round dots. Nothing that affects my shooting, but not perfect.

All my Aimpoints are much clearer. Exactly 1 magnification and have pretty much perfect dots. The only weird thing is the electronics is visible in the lower right corner. That took a little time to get used to, but now I don't see it anymore.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Fessor Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:31 am

Matchdot seems to be the way to go.

Fessor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:28 pm

I've used UDs since I started shooting Competition. Could not justify the price of the Aim points and the extra weight on the guns. 
I used the original 1" UDs and still have a few that I didn't trade in to Larry Carter for new ones. I plan on having the older UD's refurbish under their life time warranty.
 I have both, the 1" Four dot is lighter than the 30mm match dot and I prefer the Four Dot for that reason.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Red dot question/advice Empty Sig Romeo5 or Holosun HS403B

Post by Russ OR Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:20 pm

I use, and like, the Sig Romeo5s and Holosun HS403Bs. Have them on everything except my 45 slide. - And not on the Pardini w/ the tiny grooves.
These sights are on sale often for $120±. Caution, if shopping anywhere besldes known, trusted companies - on accounta there are knock-offs.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:21 pm

I've got Ultradot 30mm, Ultradot one inch, Ultradot L/T, and Aimpoint H1 and H2.  I've also got one or two brand-x sights that you can have for free if you pay the shipping.  Not sure if I still have both.

Ultradot 30mm is excellent, but for the negative magnification.
Ultradot L/T is much lighter, but it's a different style sight, not a tube.
Ultradot 1 inch is the best of the lot in many ways, but has negative magnification.
The Aimpoint H-1 and H-2 sights are both awesome - probably the best.

I really like the Vortex Venom sight - small, light, lifetime warranty, and perfect.

Dave Salyer sold me on the 1" Ultradot long ago.  The Aimpoints are probably better, but that small, long, 1" sight works the best for me.

I expect the 30mm Ultradot and the L/T will both be listed for sale here in the forum before the end of this week.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down