Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

+10
Ed Hall
Eindecker
expendable
msmith44
Tangeant
Ray Dash
Rodger Barthlow
messenger
james r chapman
rich.tullo
14 posters

Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by rich.tullo 2/21/2023, 11:44 am

I think I narrowed down the problem to one case I bought from the CMP, d06da06, they asked me to test it against other ammo I have and send them the duds and unfired ammo. I am willing to do that if they stand behind the product. But they told me there was no known issues with that case lot. 


I am getting about 50 misfires per brick and the guns are good so I would like to get the ammo replaced because I have more of it and its not cheap these days. I am wondering if dealing with them is a waste of time. 
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by james r chapman 2/21/2023, 12:07 pm

Not really, they have an excellent history of replacing lots.
Just send them a brick and if they have problems they will send you a replacement.
TonyH had the same issues .


 TonyH
CCI & Federal are sister companies and one often produces 22LR ammo for the other.
Based on your post above I would first suspect a dirty chamber as posted above in the pistol and a good brushing/cleaning may resolve the issue.
For ammo, look at the lot number on the ammo boxes and see if the misfires are related to a certain lot. There have been issues with CCI/Federal in the last few years and I have returned a case (which they replaced) to CCI. If it proves to be a certain lot, call the manufacturer and follow their instructions. In my case, they had me ship a few boxes of the ammo for their testing, agreed that there was an issue, and replaced the entire case.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 6040
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 75
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by messenger 2/21/2023, 1:15 pm

rich.tullo wrote:I think I narrowed down the problem to one case I bought from the CMP, d06da06, they asked me to test it against other ammo I have and send them the duds and unfired ammo. I am willing to do that if they stand behind the product. But they told me there was no known issues with that case lot. 


I am getting about 50 misfires per brick and the guns are good so I would like to get the ammo replaced because I have more of it and its not cheap these days. I am wondering if dealing with them is a waste of time. 

I have had a few bunny farts and failures to eject. I just use mine for practice. I have a case I bought a few years ago and have had no problems with it.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Posts : 954
Join date : 2011-06-18
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Rodger Barthlow 2/21/2023, 2:41 pm

Last year at Perry I was having .22 ammo problems in my 208 and everything I tried I had the same failures so the AMU head smith Brad checked it out for me and said the dirty chamber was the problem but even after his cleaning it still had the same problem and he cleaned it some more and the problem went away till I got home. The bullet lubricant wax had built up and hardened in the chamber, brushing alone didn't get it all out. Some Kroil on a Q-tip swab in the chamber loosened it up and a brush and patch cleared it. The malfunctions went away.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Posts : 301
Join date : 2013-08-10

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by rich.tullo 2/21/2023, 3:45 pm

james r chapman wrote:Not really, they have an excellent history of replacing lots.
Just send them a brick and if they have problems they will send you a replacement.
TonyH had the same issues .


 TonyH
CCI & Federal are sister companies and one often produces 22LR ammo for the other.
Based on your post above I would first suspect a dirty chamber as posted above in the pistol and a good brushing/cleaning may resolve the issue.
For ammo, look at the lot number on the ammo boxes and see if the misfires are related to a certain lot. There have been issues with CCI/Federal in the last few years and I have returned a case (which they replaced) to CCI. If it proves to be a certain lot, call the manufacturer and follow their instructions. In my case, they had me ship a few boxes of the ammo for their testing, agreed that there was an issue, and replaced the entire case.
 Nope Clean Chambers and good hits with the pin. Tony I think I am at that stage now I will test 3 boxes tonight send them the results and unfired ammo from each test,
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by rich.tullo 2/21/2023, 3:46 pm

Rodger Barthlow wrote:Last year at Perry I was having .22 ammo problems in my 208 and everything I tried I had the same failures so the AMU head smith Brad checked it out for me and said the dirty chamber was the problem but even after his cleaning it still had the same problem and he cleaned it some more and the problem went away till I got home. The bullet lubricant wax had built up and hardened in the chamber, brushing alone didn't get it all out. Some Kroil on a Q-tip swab in the chamber loosened it up and a brush and patch cleared it. The malfunctions went away.
I basically do that every time I clean the gun.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2015-03-27

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Ray Dash 2/21/2023, 4:33 pm

I must be real lucky, I shoot the older blue box for local league and the newer light blue for practice and have not had a single failure yet. I wanted to order a new case but I have been buying the new blue box from Wally world just to make sure its ok before I buy a whole case
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Posts : 331
Join date : 2019-01-31
Location : NY

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Tangeant 2/25/2023, 10:21 pm

Just finishing the last brick of CCI SV from the last CMP case sale 2021?. I had alot of solid hit duds that wouldn't fire with multiple tries. Sometimes had none per brick but for every now and than or ran into a random 50 rd box that had multiple duds.
Tangeant
Tangeant

Posts : 24
Join date : 2015-11-03

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by msmith44 2/26/2023, 3:09 pm

Tangeant wrote:Just finishing the last brick of CCI SV from the last CMP case sale 2021?. I had alot of solid hit duds that wouldn't fire with multiple tries. Sometimes had none per brick but for every now and than  or ran into a random 50 rd box that had multiple duds.
From the FWIW Dept.: In March of 2021 I met a couple of employees of the CCI factory in Lewiston. They work on the Center Fire part of the factory. CF and Rimfire are separate operations. I mentioned the problem I was having with CCI-SV they told me that the Rimfire operation was having problems. They didn't volunteer what the problem was and I was not in a interrogation mood. Bought them a round of drinks and we went on to other topics. So, I assume the CMP case came from the late 2020 to about a month prior to your buying the CMP case. Kudos to CCI for replacing bad ammo but it's frustrating to not know the time frame of a specific lot especially when there are so many problems. Lots with problems could be offered a "seconds" so that manufacturers wouldn't have to do a total recall.

-m-

msmith44

Posts : 90
Join date : 2020-10-13
Age : 79
Location : Washington State

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by expendable 2/26/2023, 5:43 pm

I had a problem with a case of Standard Velocity lot # MY17YA05, probably purchased around 2019. It had a lot of light loads causing short stroking and failures to eject. 

I contacted CCI in 2021 they paid to have it shipped back and replaced it with a new case which has been good.

expendable

Posts : 90
Join date : 2011-10-01

messenger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Eindecker 2/26/2023, 10:24 pm

cci rimfire sucks... if you want it to fire,  every time... get a different brand. 

CCI  customer support, after testing a box i sent to them,,, a box that had failed to fire several times per round.... they had no issue that 30% of the box could NEVER be fired even in thier lab

Eindecker

Posts : 125
Join date : 2022-10-08

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by msmith44 2/27/2023, 1:50 pm

Eindecker wrote:cci rimfire sucks... if you want it to fire,  every time... get a different brand. 

CCI  customer support, after testing a box i sent to them,,, a box that had failed to fire several times per round.... they had no issue that 30% of the box could NEVER be fired even in thier lab
I’ve shot over 5000 rounds of Norma-Tac-22. One FTF. However, it is very waxy BUT inexpensive.


-m-

msmith44

Posts : 90
Join date : 2020-10-13
Age : 79
Location : Washington State

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Ed Hall 2/27/2023, 2:55 pm

CCI offered to replace some I had an issue with long ago, but I didn't have enough on hand to bother with.

Ed Hall

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2012-09-11
Location : Adirondack Mountains

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by BruceV 3/1/2023, 7:29 am

Last year (2022) I went through almost 5 cases of CCI SV and a little over a half case of Eley Bullseye Pistol X.

My plan was to shoot the CCI for practice and the Eley for the local league matches.

My first case of CCI was terrible about 5% of every box had misfires.  Most of them would fire on the second try. That same case had the longest OAL of all the cases.

The subsequent 4 cases were significantly better < .5% misfires.

The Eley actually turned out to be the worst ammunition - misfires and light loads causing FTF's.  I sent the remaining of the first case back and another case with the same lot number.  They determined the lot was bad and replaced both cases at no charge.

CCI for the most part has been ok - other than the first case.

Eley has been good going forward - it functions well in my Pardini, the CCI still a little too long for the magazines, but I have figured out that problem.

BruceV

Posts : 100
Join date : 2021-12-06

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Foundryratjim 3/1/2023, 7:59 am

msmith44 wrote:I’ve shot over 5000 rounds of Norma-Tac-22. One FTF. However, it is very waxy BUT inexpensive.


-m-
I have a Clark Ruger 22/45. It will run CCI  and Aguilla SV just fine. Tac-22 is very accurate out of it but it won't cycle the bolt consistently. I have two bricks from different batches and they run the same. I use it for a summer league using a bolt action. Great accuracy for the price. I have also found it doesn't like cold weather.

Foundryratjim

Posts : 181
Join date : 2018-08-01
Age : 66
Location : michigan

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by JTod 3/8/2023, 6:44 pm

I have always had good luck with CCI ammo, consider it to be the best of the budget rounds.  Interesting to read others have had trouble, wonder if that's tied to their hurry to produce over the last couple years?

JTod

Posts : 11
Join date : 2023-03-08
Location : Rural Ohio

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Pinetree 3/8/2023, 6:51 pm

I've had probably 4 or 5 failures in the last 8 bricks, but the .22LR has always been considered an unreliable cartridge, so I don't worry about it.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Posts : 257
Join date : 2017-05-13
Age : 64
Location : NWPA

Back to top Go down

Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires  Empty Re: Anyone get anywhere with CCI re misfires

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum