Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield Armory Ronin

+3
zanemoseley
james r chapman
8eightring
7 posters

Go down

Springfield Armory Ronin Empty Springfield Armory Ronin

Post by 8eightring 4/2/2023, 1:53 pm

I have a Springfield Armory Ronin 5" 9MM.  I dropped one of those $39.99 surplus Sig 1911 38 Super barrels into it. Actually it shoots pretty good for a drop in barrel.
I would like to put an adjustable sight on the slide but have no idea where to get the sight or what sight cut Springfield uses on the Ronin. Does Springfield use a proprietary cut for their sights? Is there any company out there that makes a good target sight to go into the Springfield rear cut .  I don't want to pay to ship the slide out and have the sight installed.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Springfield Armory Ronin Empty Re: Springfield Armory Ronin

Post by james r chapman 4/2/2023, 2:54 pm

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/springfield-loaded-and-models-with-novak-cut
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/2/2023, 5:12 pm

Jim, aren't those all fixed sights? He wants an adjustable sight.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/2/2023, 5:41 pm

Yep. My oversight.

I’ve told him to have it recut for a bomar clone, but he doesn’t want to send it anywhere
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rsp 4/2/2023, 9:11 pm

Kensight makes an adjustable rear sight that fits the Springfield Novak style cut.

However I don't recommend it for bullseye. The click amounts are *repeatable* but they are not *consistent*.

I have two of these sights, one Kensight-branded and one Dawson-branded (they are 100% identical other than the logo). Both have Y-axis click problems. A single click "up" might have no effect, might move POI up 2" at 50 yards, or might even take you a half-inch DOWN.

The problem is that the ridges on the underside of the screw, that provide the clicks, are not all exactly the same depth. One click is really only moving the screw thread by .002" so a +/- .004" variation in the depth of the ridges totally outweighs that. If you only make big adjustments like 4 clicks at a time it may average out to be OK but single clicks will surprise you with how wild they can be.

On the Bo-Mar sight the clicks notches are on the side of the screw, not the underside. Any inconsistency in those click notches doesn't affect the height of the sight blade. It's a better design.

Side note, LPA sights work the same way as those Novak adjustables but the ones I tested (SPR type) were much more consistent, almost as good as the Bo-Mar (but not quite).

rsp

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/2/2023, 10:22 pm

james r chapman wrote:Yep. My oversight.

I’ve told him to have it recut for a bomar clone, but he doesn’t want to send it anywhere
As a 74 year old myself, I am old and cheap. I don't know how long I will live to use my investment in Bullseye equipment. Did I say cheap? Besides that, if I send the slide out to have a sight installed, I may be dead before it comes back  Shocked Laughing
Thanks James
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 4/3/2023, 7:53 am

It's a good idea to triple check the dovetail on SA 9mm's - I replaced a fixed sight with an adjustable in my 1911 compact and it was something quite different from the full size .45. I vaguely recall it was an LPA cut, but I'd have to dig. It also needed to be low profile due to the front sight rise. Perhaps the Ronin is more consistent, not sure.

[edit]
Found the package and mine is a SA-Novak-cut LPA sight, which I got from here: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PI5339
It seems to be out of stock in most places, but maybe you can buy it direct from SA? They could verify it fits the Ronin too.

I will say that as a low-profile, the sight picture is a little tricky for bullseye. But it's a very nice piece.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 4/6/2023, 9:13 am

8eightring wrote:

As a 74 year old myself, I am old and cheap. I don't know how long I will live to use my investment in Bullseye equipment. Did I say cheap? Besides that, if I send the slide out to have a sight installed, I may be dead before it comes back  Shocked Laughing
Thanks James
Amen brother!  I will turn 75 next month and understand fully. I’m a little cheap too.

Kp321

8eightring likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/6/2023, 3:58 pm

Kp321 wrote:
8eightring wrote:

Thanks James
Amen brother!  I will turn 75 next month and understand fully. I’m a little cheap too.
Bullseye pistol shooters are some of the cheapest people I know, so you are in good company! Very Happy
BE Mike
BE Mike

8eightring likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/6/2023, 9:58 pm

I ventured out and shot my Springfield Ronin 38 Super today. I am really pleased with the aftermarket barrel. Sent out an email to customer service at Springfield inquiring about an adjustable sight. Waiting to hear back.
Here is an offhand target at 50 yards. Wish it was centered in the black!!!
Attachments
Springfield Armory Ronin Attachment
SigBarrel.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(38 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
Springfield Armory Ronin Attachment
RoninTarget.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(35 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/7/2023, 7:10 am

Those Sig barrels are deceiving!
Quite accurate for a drop in.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 4/7/2023, 12:48 pm

Received an email back from Springfield:

Good morning,

Unfortunately, we do not have an adjustable sight for the original dovetail. The adjustable sights we have will only fit an LPA or BOMAR cut. Very sorry.

Sincerely,

Dominick P | Customer Service

Team Springfield

420 West Main Street

Geneseo, IL 61254
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down