Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Net Cans

+16
Dan Webb
msmith44
james r chapman
Wobbley
pgg
dmdattner
10sandxs
Bmitch996
SingleActionAndrew
chopper
Multiracer
samtoast
inthebeech
chiz1180
john bickar
RoyDean
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brass Net Cans Empty Brass Net Cans

Post by RoyDean Thu May 11, 2023 10:14 pm

I've built a few iterations of these over several years. 

The green one, based on a common MTM 50 cal plastic ammo box,  is typically what I would use for a local match - plenty of space for ammo, speed loaders, etc. I can easily carry the rest of my kit in a Bullseye Box or a small kit bag. I have extra custom brackets to stow the net and mount, but found that they are not needed since I normally just leave the can with folded net in the back of the car all the time.

The Orange one, using an extra height 50 cal box, has much bigger capacity and is intended to be used at Perry, etc., where the wind and rain can be serious on an exposed firing line. I can put ammo, rest, scoring tote, glasses, muffs, hat, etc., etc. and just drop it into a buggy to cart about, together with my scope tote and guns in a plastic carry case. Plus a beach chair, umbrella, etc.

The Orange one has built in clamps to secure it quite firmly to a bench. Both have trunk handles for attaching a bungee or tie-down if the weather is really serious. Both have double fixtures for a CMA brass net - forward position for a Pardini or similar - rear position for a typical 1911. I've thoroughly tested them and the positions are close to perfect - usually don't need to move the can, just re-position the net - easy.

Brass Net Cans Green_10
Brass Net Cans Green_11
Brass Net Cans Perry_12
Brass Net Cans Perry_13

RoyDean

Fairfaxeddy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Brass Net Cans Empty Re: Brass Net Cans

Post by john bickar Thu May 11, 2023 10:23 pm

Work your way up to HM and have the MK and SS pick up your brass for you.

(Edit: given the tone of some of the threads here lately, I should mention that the above comment is made with my tongue firmly in my cheek.)
john bickar
john bickar

kc.crawford.7, Michael C, Pinetree, RoyDean and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Fri May 12, 2023 12:50 am

john bickar wrote:Work your way up to HM and have the MK and SS pick up your brass for you.

(Edit: given the tone of some of the threads here lately, I should mention that the above comment is made with my tongue firmly in my cheek.)
the majority of 2600+ shooter I have shot with don’t use a brass catcher, almost as if worrying about brass can distract from the shot process
chiz1180
chiz1180

Orion and Sa-tevp like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Fri May 12, 2023 12:58 am

Chris,

Yes, your comment is generally true, but, since most of the "Elite" shooters are current or ex- military marksmanship or similar background where there is, generally, a kind of "minimalist" approach, it is not really surprising.

However, for the rest of us "mere mortals", especially those who need to catch brass for reloading and/or have some respect for the shooter to one's right on the line, then a good brass catcher is important - IMHO.

So, if you are going to use a brass catcher, make sure that it actually works and is easy to deploy - hence this thread!

RoyDean

onlylead, Multiracer, SingleActionAndrew and UGonzo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Fri May 12, 2023 6:33 am

Will that size can fit a standard six pack?
Laughing
inthebeech
inthebeech

RNS10X, john bickar and mspingeld like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by samtoast Fri May 12, 2023 8:00 am

Thank you for starting this thread and sharing what has worked for you.
Is the brass catcher commercially available or DIY? Can you please elaborate on the frame of the brass catcher? 
Do you use anything to block the brass on the other side?

Last edited by samtoast on Fri May 12, 2023 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Fri May 12, 2023 9:35 am

john bickar wrote:Work your way up to HM and have the MK and SS pick up your brass for you.

I would refer to it as a Freudian slip !

Last edited by Multiracer on Fri May 12, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Fri May 12, 2023 11:15 am

Here's mine.

Brass Net Cans 20230510
Brass Net Cans 20230511
Brass Net Cans 20230512

I can't remember the thread size on the bolt, but I'm thinking 5/16" 20. Just position your box whichever direction you want, strap it down in super heavy winds.
 Stan

chopper

orpheoet, RoyDean, UGonzo and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sat May 13, 2023 12:39 am

samtoast wrote:Is the brass catcher commercially available or 
CMM
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sat May 13, 2023 1:03 am

Thank you Andrew.

Yes, the net shown is a commercial unit from CMM. Google them. If you talk directly it is possible to order a net system with out the heavy steel base. The one shown in the "Green" photos has an 8" long stem.

CMM make a good product - very good service.

There is at least one other commercial brand - I have one - but got it used and don't know the brand - possibly through Champions Choice - also good.

The black steel "stem" from CMM is simply a steel tube into which the stainless steel rod connected to the net is inserted. CMM use a nut and nylon taper washer arrangement which you can tighten by hand to set the extension of the SS rod. The rod is connected to a SS boss which has a friction screw to control the inclination of the net frame. There are net stretchers that swing out from the SS frame. Design and manufacture is all good.

To intercept incoming brass from a shooter to my left I typically add ""screens" to the scope mount on my Bullseye Box or scope tote. Must be 1/4" or bigger mesh screen. I use "chicken wire" mesh from any hardware store, cut to suitable size. I typically cut the wire so that the sharp wire ends are minimised and then run a strip of Gorilla tape along each edge and wrap it over the rough edge of the mesh. Attach with spring clamps from Harbor Freight. Or try be clever and use magnets (see my recent thread on an updated travel case).

Hope that answers your question.

RoyDean

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by samtoast Sat May 13, 2023 7:14 am

Thank you RoyDean. That is very helpful.

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmitch996 Sat May 13, 2023 9:54 am

Shoot revolvers and you won't have to scrabble around picking brass up off the ground.  How uncivilized.

Bmitch996

john bickar, orpheoet, lakemurrayman and 14S&W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Sat May 13, 2023 11:45 am

Just shoot left handed...

Brass Net Cans 20230510

10sandxs

orpheoet and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmdattner Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 pm

Which is most often true, although John did go to a college that insists on calling itself “THE” Ohio State University, so there’s that…
dmdattner
dmdattner

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg Sat May 13, 2023 8:20 pm

RoyDean wrote:To intercept incoming brass from a shooter to my left I typically add ""screens" to the scope mount on my Bullseye Box or scope tote. Must be 1/4" or bigger mesh screen. I use "chicken wire" mesh from any hardware store, cut to suitable size. I typically cut the wire so that the sharp wire ends are minimised and then run a strip of Gorilla tape along each edge and wrap it over the rough edge of the mesh. Attach with spring clamps from Harbor Freight. Or try be clever and use magnets (see my recent thread on an updated travel case).
Is there a maximum size for the screen specified in the NRA or CMP rules anywhere?

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sat May 13, 2023 8:26 pm

1/4" mesh, AFAIK.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg Sat May 13, 2023 8:29 pm

RoyDean wrote:1/4" mesh, AFAIK.
No, I mean the dimensions, length/width of the whole thing.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat May 13, 2023 10:42 pm

In theory, no limit. However there is a practical limit in that you have to lug it around. So most make them so they fit inside their gun box.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun May 14, 2023 12:33 am

Whilst Ashley is, AFAIK, correct in her statement re' "no limit" and also that, for most folks, one or two panels of mesh sized to match the back of a bullseye box is the norm.

A while ago, having suffered severe "brass attack" during the summer nationals, and, anticipating the arrival in Phoenix of the same group of attackers from the summer, prior to the Desert Mid-Winter that year, I bought a full roll of 1/4" mesh and created a monster screen with edges reinforced with screen door aluminum channel. It was a huge L shaped screen sized to rest on the bench to the left of my bullseye box, retained by spring clamps and totally protecting me from those hot 22 shells from a 208, or those nasty 9mm shells from a service gun.

I could leave it behind the line at PRGC waiting "in the wings" for the arrival of "the attackers".

As it turned out, I was squadded next to a very polite civilian shooter who diligently deployed his brass net and never once pinged me with a piece of brass. Yay! The monster screen sat unused for several months.

Eventually I took it home and it has now been cut down into convenient "box size" rectangles for use with my various scope totes and boxes.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun May 14, 2023 12:40 am

Food for thought….

Create two such panels and use one bolt to load them together on one corner. That way you have a barrier you can configure multiple ways to get coverage. The real problem is getting pelted in the face with flying brass. It stings.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun May 14, 2023 11:08 am

Wobbley wrote:Food for thought….

Create two such panels  and use one bolt to load them together on one corner.  That way you have a barrier you can configure multiple ways to get coverage.  The real problem is getting pelted in the face with flying brass.  It stings.
Lefties just turn their collars up! *shrug*
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

10sandxs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun May 14, 2023 11:55 am

Two pieces of mesh arranged something like this is typical.
Brass Net Cans Brass_10

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun May 14, 2023 12:24 pm

Would it be permissible to wear a mosquito net?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun May 14, 2023 12:28 pm

Would it be permissible to wear a mosquito net?

Only if it matches your mascara and lip gloss!

lol! lol!

RoyDean

onlylead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Sun May 14, 2023 1:02 pm

RoyDean wrote:
To intercept incoming brass from a shooter to my left I typically add ""screens" to the scope mount on my Bullseye Box or scope tote. 
This probably belongs in a separate section but to get the conversation started...

Kudos to all the shooters who are responsible enough to use a net with firearms whose ejectors have been tuned to actually catch the hot brass. 

And, I appreciate Roy's action to prevent hot cases from the shooter to your left hitting you. 

However, why would you have to do this? 

Isn't it the responsibility of the tournament sponsor to provide a safe environment in which to conduct the match? Isn't it the responsibility of the shooter to have a firearm that is safe with a part of a safe firearm the ejection of spent cases in a direction so as not to be either a safety hazard or to interfere with other shooters safe operation of their firearms? 

Competitors in all NRA approved tournaments MUST have hearing and eye protection. Some use their regular eye glasses as eye protection and that works until you get a hot case that slips between the frame and your eyelid. A firearm that does not protect all persons on the firing line is not a safe firearm and should be disqualified.

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next